ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the most beloved UK player from each coach? And then pick one overall.

bbncal02

All-American
Nov 14, 2017
Hopkinsville
Just as the title says. Who is the most beloved player under each coach? And then pick one of those to take the overall spot.

I can only speak for early 90s onwards based on my age.

Pitino- Mashburn
Tubby- Chuck Hayes or Tayshaun (tie IMO)
BCG- Patrick Patterson if it counts (since he also played for Cal), if not, then Jodie Meeks
Cal- John Wall IMO for being the poster child of a program restored.

Top spot for me, overall, would be either Chuck Hayes or Tayshaun. Just the epitome of Kentucky Basketball since the early 90s. So hard to pick between those two.

Pitino- Mashburn
BCG- Patrick Patterson if it counts (since he also played for Cal), if not, then Jodie Meeks

Top spot for me, overall, would be either Chuck Hayes or Tayshaun. Just the epitome of Kentucky Basketball since the early 90s. So hard to pick between those two.

Same for me as far as time frame but Mine is this.

Pitino- Delk (people loved Tony Delk man)
Tubby- Prince or Bogans (this is a tough one)
BCG- It's Meeks for me too.
Cal- Gotta go with Oscar

Overall from this list? I'm going with Prince.

Calipari = Wall
BCG = Patterson
Tubby = Prince
Pitino = Mashburn
Sutton = Walker
Hall = also Walker (a case can be made for Givens)
Rupp = impossible to say due to the lack of media sources we have from the time but retroactively probably Issel

Pitino- Mashburn

Sounds good to me, maybe Boogie/AD/Ulis could be close in the Cal era. It’s probably Oscar for me. I just love that dude but I can’t argue against Wall. He’s that dude. Overall most loved would have to be Monster Mash, which is sad because he doesn’t seem close to the university at all. Just Pitino which makes it even worse.

Calipari = Wall
BCG = Patterson
Tubby = Prince
Pitino = Mashburn
Sutton = Walker
Hall = also Walker (a case can be made for Givens)
Rupp = impossible to say due to the lack of media sources we have from the time but retroactively probably Issel
I’d have to agree on Issel. At least the most remembered.

Coach Rupp - Dan Issel, you see how much he is loved still to this day by those around to have seen him play.
Coach Hall - Kenny Walker
Coach Sutton - Rex Chapman during his time at UK was beloved.
Coach Pitino - Jamal Mashburn
Coach Smith - Chuck Hayes
Coach Gillispie - Jodie Meeks, could make a case for Ramel Bradley or Patrick Patterson.
Coach Cal - Going with Tyler Ulis but easily could say Oscar, Davis or Wall here.

Overall is a tough one but I will go with Tyler Ulis factoring in all generations of fans on this one.

Reactions: bfawns
Rupp-Hagan or Ramsey, really a tie
Hall-Macy
Sutton-Chapman
Pitino-Pelphrey-Feldhous/tie
Tubby-Rondo
BCG-PP
Cal-Wall

Overall-Macy

Last edited:
Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Hall: Kenny Walker
Sutton: Rex Chapman
Pitino: Jamal Mashburn
Tubby: Chuck Hayes
BCG: Jodie Meeks
Calipari: Tyler Ulis

Rupp- Issel
Hall- Givens
Sutton-Chapman
Pitino - Mashburn
Tubby - Prince
BCG- Meeks
Cal - Davis

Reactions: lexus1
Not sure where all the Hayes love comes from. Everyone entitled to their opinion but Prince and Bogans are way out in front of Hayes in my book. Even Erik Daniels was well loved. Oh well.

Being careful to pick who i think the public loved more, not necessarily the best player:

Rupp - Cotton Nash - from everything I've read, and Rupp's era was mostly print and radio, nobody was ever loved more in a Kentucky uniform in the pre-television days than Cotton.

Hall - Kyle Macy - had every little kid in blue pulling up socks before each FT.

Sutton - Rex Chapman - As fans we salivated over him for years before he got here. But I can't tell you tempting it was to put Jim Beam in there instead.

Pitino - Jamal Mashburn - This one is tough. Richie Farmer was so loved in the mountains. And really all of the Unforgettables are loved by our fan base. But we also had Toine Walker, Tony Delk, and a few others that were great personalities to go with their talent.

Tubby - Tay Prince. Loved Chuck too but Tayshaun burying threes in Rupp and his laid back, too cool vibe just wins me over.

BCG - Who? - I must have blacked out during his tenure. I'll say Jodie Meeks to look smart but I can't remember this guy ever coaching here.

Cal - Not over yet, so who knows. My personal fav is Boogie but overall I'd say Davis, Wall, and Ulis are the top three in any order. Only Ulis played more than 1 year. So maybe some love for Nick? Truth is we've had a ton of guys under Cal that I loved.

Reactions: J_Dee
I would offer during the Rupp era a few that would be hard to choose from...Ralph Beard, Cliff Hagan, Larry Conley, Mike Casey, Dan Issel, Stan Key.

Pitino- Mashburn

I endorse this one and I’ll probably take mash even tho for me it s wall.

Rupp- Louie Dampier
Hall- Kyle Macy
Sutton- Kenny Walker
Pitino- The Unforgettables (can't seperate them)
Tubby- Chuck Hayes
BCG- Darius Miller
Cal- Tyler Ulis (Boogie close 2nd)

Overall- The Unforgettables

Last edited:
Reactions: J_Dee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT