ADVERTISEMENT

Who are some players that likely enter the portal in the next couple weeks?

bigblue1971

Junior
Dec 20, 2014
I've heard NIL money is paid by the end of this week and also some players will enter the portal if they get bad draft feedback. Also Matt Jones has said multiple times that Pope will get a certain player not in the portal yet. Anybody know or heard anything?

Reactions: Fox2monk
I've heard NIL money is paid by the end of this week and also some players will enter the portal if they get bad draft feedback. Also Matt Jones has said multiple times that Pope will get a certain player not in the portal yet. Anybody know or heard anything?

I think most have assumed the unnamed player "not in the portal yet" is Jaxson Robinson @ BYU. That has been anything other than rumor/wishful thinking at this point, but it isn't totally outrageous to assume Robinson would consider following Pope to UK.

Provided that the BYU kid Saunders commits, I wouldn't mind adding the additional 2 guys from BYU (who haven't announced anything about the portal):

G/F - Jaxson Robinson 6'7 190 lbs
F - Noah Waterman 6'11 220 lbs - perfect stretch 4

Those 2 with Chandler & Saunders would form a good nucleus of guys who already know the system. Add in Travis Perry and Amari Williams and this team is really starting to take shape.

That would leave 7 more scholarships...based purely upon their stats, the next two I would like to add:
F - Great Osobor 6'8 250 lbs
G - Koby Brea 6'6 205 lbs, 49% 3pt shooter

At that point, 5 more scholarships to use for more depth...no idea who to add at that point. But by position, if I were trying to build out the roster, I'd do something like:

- At least one more F/C to split time with Williams
- At least one more SF/PF with some perimeter shooting ability
- 2 more PG/CG
- Best available for the remaining spot

Are you actually telling UK fans to stop showing interest in recruiting because "they don't deserve it?"

That doesn't make any logical sense. Articulate better. You're doing a poor job.
Doesn't seem like he does much posting that provides any relevant discourse, but just my take on it

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Yeah, who are all of these alleged incoming calls from guys who want to play for UK?
I assume you would just sign the first 12 calls and say you now have a team. I dont think Mark Pope is lazy and he wants to win from the get go.

MJ is guessing Robinson

Provided that the BYU kid Saunders commits, I wouldn't mind adding the additional 2 guys from BYU (who haven't announced anything about the portal):

G/F - Jaxson Robinson 6'7 190 lbs
F - Noah Waterman 6'11 220 lbs - perfect stretch 4

Those 2 with Chandler & Saunders would form a good nucleus of guys who already know the system. Add in Travis Perry and Amari Williams and this team is really starting to take shape.

That would leave 7 more scholarships...based purely upon their stats, the next two I would like to add:
F - Great Osobor 6'8 250 lbs
G - Koby Brea 6'6 205 lbs, 49% 3pt shooter

At that point, 5 more scholarships to use for more depth...no idea who to add at that point. But by position, if I were trying to build out the roster, I'd do something like:

- At least one more F/C to split time with Williams
- At least one more SF/PF with some perimeter shooting ability
- 2 more PG/CG
- Best available for the remaining spot
Forgot about Waterman. Would be a perfect sidekick with Carr at the four. Do you think we pursue Toppin for that position?

Forgot about Waterman. Would be a perfect sidekick with Carr at the four. Do you think we pursue Toppin for that position?

Honestly, I have zero connections, and I know pretty much nothing.

The post of mine you quoted was just my thinking out loud about things that could potentially be beneficial. I agree that from a size/skillset standpoint, I wouldn't mind adding Waterman for reasons mentioned:
F - Noah Waterman 6'11 220 lbs
  • perfect stretch 4 from a size/skillset to pair w/Carr
  • already knows the system, so he'd be like having an extra coach during and away from practice to help the others acclimate
I have no idea about Toppin, but my personal preference is no super lightweights at the 4/5 positions... with the way officials call the game today...i.e allowing the offensive player to push the defender (oh, sorry I mean establish position) all over the court, I would prefer even the stretch PF guys to have a little bulk.

If he has the strength to hold his position on defense, then maybe. The rest of his game may translate well... for the 2023-2024 season:

• 3pt shooting: 11/32 for 34% - perfectly fine for a stretch 4
  • runs the floor well
  • appears to be a good offensive rebounder
  • pretty decent at blocking shots

So, his skillset seems to fit as long as his size/strength does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT