ADVERTISEMENT

Who are some of your favorite Kentucky players from the past

The unforgettable
Rupps Runts
The Fabulous Five
Mike Casey
Big Dan

James Lee. He was the Human Victory cigar for the 1978 team, often coming in to put an emphatic stamp on a win w a rim-rattling dunk.

Reactions: TeoJ
Kyle Macy
Dwight Anderson
Sam Bouie
Mel Turpin
Kenny Walker
Dirk Minniefield
Jamal Mashburn
Tony Delk
Derek Anderson
Ron Mercer
Wayne Turner
Jeff Shepherd
Nazr Mohammed
John Wall
Boogie Cousins
Eric Bledsoe
Anthony Davis
Nerlens Noel
DeArron Fox
Malik Monk
Bam Adebayo
Tyler Herro
Antonio Reeves
Reed shepherd

Last edited:
Bowie
Turpin
Leroy Byrd
Chapman
Mashburn
Delk
Walker
Turner
Mercer
Anderson
Epps
Prince
Bogans
Rondo
Morris
Miller
Wall
Bledsoe
Cousins
Knight
Davis
Kid-Gilchrist
Noel
Ulis
Fox
Monk
Bam
Hero
Washington
Maxey
Dilly
Sheppard
Reeves

Last edited:
f6aKlpf.jpeg

Roger Harden was my boyhood hero.

Kenny Walker, Derek Anderson, Erik Daniels, Tyler Ullis and Nick Richards are also favorites of mine.

We were a big Nick Richards fan club in my house. My oldest daughter has a signed Nick Richards Hornets jersey hanging in her room.

Well, first off, in defense of my opinion that Bogans is one of UK's best all around players, let's review his career stats. The number in () is his rank among guards

Points 1923 #4 (#1)
Rebounds 552 #39 (#3)
Assists 314 #17 (#16)
Steals 155 #12 (#8)

Lets compare Bogans to the other guards among the top 20 all time scorers. Stats are per game Player/Bogans (difference)

Tony Delk - #5 all time scoring
ppg 14.21/14.24 (-0.03)
rpg 3.53/4.09 (-0.56)
apg 1.58/2.33 (-0.75)
spg 1.51/1.15 (+0.36)

Ed Davender - #11 all time scoring
ppg 12.69/14.24 (-1.55)
rpg 2.34/4.09 (-1.75)
apg 3.38/2.33 (+1.05)
spg1.48/1.15 (+0.33)

Louie Dampier - #12 all time scoring
ppg 19.69/14.24 (+5.45)
rpg 5.11/4.09 (+1.02)
apg 1.68/2.33 (-0.65)

Ralph Beard - #15 all time scoring
ppg 10.91/14.24 (-4.33)

Joe Crawford - #20 all time scoring
ppg 11.32/14.24 (-2.92)
rpg 3.35/4.09 (-0.74)
apg 1.50/2.33 (-0.83)
spg 0.48/1.15 (-0.67)

There's a lot of red up there.

Now let's lay to rest the Bogans vs Wade debate. No doubt Bogans was somewhat handicapped by a bum ankle, but the Bogans/Wade duel wasn't what determined the game. Wade scored 8.5 points more than his average vs Marquette's other four NCAA opponents, true, but the real reason UK lost that game was the Robert Jackson/Marquis Estill battle. Jackson outscored Estill 24-10. Jackson scored 13.25 points more than his average against the rest of their NCAA opponents. Wade had the most points, but it's really Jackson who was the decisive player that game. And it didn't help that Chuck Hayes, who was averaging 8.61 ppg was held scoreless.
Delk was on loaded teams, which makes numbers skewed due to sacrificing....and the fact that you think Bogans is comparable is not even worth a debate.
Crawford wasn't good, but thats a good one to compare him to. Very similar ball hogs...

I watched every Bogans game, attended quite a few. I never understood the mentions he gets. He was a decent player for below-par teams. But if he was on a great team, he wouldn't even start. And if he was on the 2012 team he wouldn't even see the floor.

Delk was on loaded teams, which makes numbers skewed due to sacrificing....and the fact that you think Bogans is comparable is not even worth a debate.
Crawford wasn't good, but thats a good one to compare him to. Very similar ball hogs...

I watched every Bogans game, attended quite a few. I never understood the mentions he gets. He was a decent player for below-par teams. But if he was on a great team, he wouldn't even start. And if he was on the 2012 team he wouldn't even see the floor.
Laughable. A "player for below-par teams"? You mean the 2003 team with the 26 game winning streak that included 9 ranked opponents?

I wonder just how many of the other 19 all time leading scorers you would characterize with Joe Crawford as "wasn't good" ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT