ADVERTISEMENT

Whitey Herzog RIP

Feb 9, 2011
whitey-bulger-flt-ap-ps-220818_1660859639238_hpMain_16x9.jpg

https://fox2now.com/sports/st-louis...all-of-fame-manager-whitey-herzog-dies-at-92/

I would have guessed Whitey Herzog was 115 years old. He seemed old to me when he was the manager of the Cardinals, but he was 49-59 when he was doing that.

Reactions: roguemocha
I used to work around where he is from. Non
- Germans stick out like a sore thumb there. They would hear me and know I wasn't one of them.

A story from one of his neighbors. Grew up in rural German area near St Louis and refused to learn English. All schooling was German. Got drafted into military and refused to speak English. Sergeants told him he had to learn English and he refused. Got deployed to England in late 1943. Was speaking perfect English in a week. He told me, you walk around England in 1943 speaking German, you die.

Last edited:
I have his 1959 Topps card when he played for the Kansas City Athletics. Not sure if it's worth much. Maybe a cup of coffee.

Whitey was a pretty good manager. Made 3 WS (lost two of them)

But he could be a cranky old bastard, and traded Ted Simmons away (because Simba liked cocaine, which ironically turned out to be the drug of choice for a LOT of players he brought in, for most of his tenure there.)

But he could be a cranky old bastard, and traded Ted Simmons away (because Simba liked cocaine, which ironically turned out to be the drug of choice for a LOT of players he brought in, for most of his tenure there.)
Willie McGee looked like a crackhead before there was crack.

I don't think Willie was a part of that. It was primarily Lonnie Smith, Tommy Herr, Keith Hernandez, and George Hendrick (frm what I've read)

Porter had just gone through a lengthy rehab over it, so I doubt he partook.

First I heard about Ted and coke. I knew Whitey wanted to get rid of Keith Hernandez over his coke usage. He wanted Ted to learn first base to replace Keith. Keith was a great defensive first baseman and Ted knew the fans would be rough on him because he wasn't near the first baseman Keith was, so he refused. Whitey then traded him.

Btw Lonnie Smith was known as Skates because he fell so much. He once said he knew he wasn't to old to play because he could still turn around and chase the ball back to the wall after it got by him with the best of them.

I could be mistaken, but I swore there as a lot of talk about Simba and a "habit"

Honestly though, in that era, there is not telling HOW many ball players were using. it.

Hernandez swears he only used it during the season (which explains why he only smoked HEATERS during the season as well)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. LordEgg is w/o a doubt, the most underrated poster in the history of this board.

It's not even close.

If GYERO = The Buchanans, Lord Egg = Gatsby.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. LordEgg is w/o a doubt, the most underrated poster in the history of this board.

It's not even close.

If GYERO = The Buchanans, Lord Egg = Gatsby.
GYERO…is that the thread where the biggest promulgators of the “have a take, don’t suck” axiom usually violate said axiom

Perhaps, but I don't know what that has to do with my post.

This isn't GYERO, and LordEgg isn't a contributor to GYERO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT