ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Cal rank among UK coaches now?

He’s third
Rupp
Pitino
Cal
Hall
Tubby
Sutton
Gillispie

Hopefully we have a new name to add to this list before the end of this week.

I would still put that Cal third.
This. I despise his attitude toward what actually matters for this program but he did put 2011: F4, 2012: F4/Champ, 2014:F4/RunnerUp, 2015:F4 Banners in the rafters…..that puts him ahead of Tubby, Sutton, BCG from an accomplishments standpoint and Hall is debatable (Hall: 1 title, 3 F4s (counting the final 4 on the way to the title but Hall didnt have “worst ever” records as well)

Cal from 09-17 was 2nd behind Rupp IMO

Cal the last five years is dead last on the list
You mean last 4 years. 5 years ago that team (19-20) was pretty good, as was 18-19. But last 4 years unquestionably dead last. And that’s saying a lot considering BCG.

The top 2 are clear with Rupp then Pitino. The only debatable position is above or below Hall. The longer Cal stays, the less debate there is with these horrible finishes. Plus the closer Tubby gets to him. While Tubby had fewer high end finishes, his lows were much better than Cal's. Sutton and Gillispie come way after that.

Reactions: Lost In FL
Cal was probably 2nd on the list after 2015. After 2019 I would have him 3rd behind pitino. After the last 5 years I agree with the OP in that Cals overall body of work only puts him ahead of Sutton and BCG.

Reactions: seccats04 and know1
I’m happy to see people over value Hall at this point. He deserves it. He could recruit and not coach. Still a great man.

He was called Joe B Stall and hated like crazy. I’m hoping, and thinking, Tubby will get the love too after being gone so long.

Cal can kiss my ass for obnoxious personal reasons that those two didn’t have the ability to have.

I say he's 5th.

Behind:
Rupp
Pitino
Hall
Tubby

That only puts him ahead of Sutton and BCG.
I have to look at his time as 2 tenures: 1st 8 years he's 3rd, behind Rupp and Pitino; last 7 he's dead last. I'd take bcg or eddie either one over what he is today

I have to look at his time as 2 tenures: 1st 8 years he's 3rd, behind Rupp and Pitino; last 7 he's dead last. I'd take bcg or eddie either one over what he is today
That's why I averaged him out to 5th. It's somewhat debatable whether he could be ahead of Tubby and Hall, but neither under performed as badly as Cal or for as long. And neither damaged the reputation and traditions as much as Cal has either.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I’d go

Rupp
Pitino
Cal
Tubby
Hall

Having him behind Rick would kill I’m.

I’m not giving BCG or Sutton credit enough to make a list.

• Haha
If we're leaving out personal stuff, and just considering their respective capabilities as a college basketball coach, then the list is:
1 - Pitino
2 - Sutton
3 - Rupp
T4 - Hall
T4 - Tubby
T6 - CCC
T6 - BCG

Reactions: know1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT