ADVERTISEMENT

When will we learn?...another avoidable tragedy

Kampus Korner

All-American
Mar 23, 2007
Saratoga, New York
After UK and Murray State began their game, fellow members of Big Blue Nation suffered a clearly avoidable tragedy. An 18 year old UK freshman, who was driving while intoxicated, hit and critically injured a 4 year old boy. I surely hope this child makes a full recovery for his sake, the sake of his family and the sake of the 18 year old driver who hit him.

I don’t like to preach about not drinking and driving but I will take this opportunity to do so. A drunk driver takes someone’s life in the United States every 50 minutes. A drunk driver causes someone physical injury every two minutes in the United States. Injuries and deaths caused by drunk drivers are one of the few human catastrophes which are entirely preventable.

How do I know these statistics about drunk driving? I have been a drunk driver. I spent 4 days in jail for driving while I was intoxicated. Fortunately, I did not injure or kill anyone or I might be typing this message from a prison law library or I might not have survived a fatal car crash to ever type again. To say going to jail for drunk driving was a “wake up call” is a gross understatement. It was a life changing event.

No doubt like many of you, I always believed getting caught for drunk driving was something that happened to others. Besides I didn’t drink that often. I never drank at home. I would only drink once or twice a month when I was out with friends or at a social function. I knew I could handle drinking and driving. I always had. I was a fool. I still have nightmares of running the red light I ran that night only this time I’m crashing into to an innocent mother and her child. I’m glad it’s only a nightmare I have to experience and not actually waking up to my nightmare being real. It could have been real. It’s real everyday. Doubt me? Take a peak at this latest “Google search” https://www.google.com/search?q=“drunk+driving”&tbm=nws&prmd=niv&source=lnt&tbs=sbd:1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9sPKXgr7dAhVK7YMKHbLQAfgQpwUIHg&biw=320&bih=427&dpr=2

When I went to jail, I was put in a cell with 9 other guys. They were all convicted felons. One of the guys in my cell pod had just been sentenced to 10 years in prison for his first DUI in which he killed a father of three young children. Like me, he was a professional. He had never been in any prior criminal trouble. Like me, he didn’t drink often but also like me when he did drink, he drank more than he should have before driving a car.

It was gut wrenching listening to him. He had a family of his own, nice home, well regarded in the community, a “good guy” but he was now a convicted felon about to begin a prison sentence. As he told me once while we eating the crappy jail food, “All I wanted to do that Saturday was play in a scramble golf tournament with my buddies, have a few beers and tell some lies. I never intended to hurt anybody.” I’ve heard his comments many times in my head over the last two years.

I certainly take no pride in sharing this personal revelation. Thankfully, I’m still consciously aware of the devastating calamities that attach to drinking and driving. If I can cause one person to reassess themselves about drinking and driving this post is worth the time I spent writing it. Please remember this, sometimes you don’t get a second chance to avoid making a bad decision, a bad decision that can ruin your life and the lives of others forever. Moreover, you escalate your chances of making an irreversible bad decision when you get too drunk to realize you are about to make a bad decision. Don’t drink and drive. It’s always a bad decision.

Last edited:
18 years old.

I’ll be interested to see more about this story as well. UK made it harder to tailgate on campus for students, required registration and IDs, and removed the student tailgate area off Cooper Drive.

We all know students will continue to drink. It was a decision that baffled me at the time, and still does, and the increased potential for this was one reason why - tailgating off campus leads to longer travel for students doing so.

Just awful. Prayers for the entire 4 year old and his family, but especially his sibling who I’ve read was with them at the time.

Before UK and Murray State began their game, fellow members of Big Blue Nation suffered a clearly avoidable tragedy. An 18 year old UK freshman, who was driving while intoxicated, hit and critically injured a 4 year old boy. I surely hope this child makes a full recovery for his sake, the sake of his family and the sake of the 18 year old driver who hit him.

I don’t like to preach about not drinking and driving but I will take this opportunity to do so. A drunk driver takes someone’s life in the United States every 50 minutes. A drunk driver causes someone physical injury every two minutes in the United States. Injuries and deaths caused by drunk drivers are one of the few human catastrophes which are entirely preventable.

How do I know these statistics about drunk driving? I have been a drunk driver. I spent 4 days in jail for driving while I was intoxicated. Fortunately, I did not injure or kill anyone or I might be typing this message from a prison law library or I might not have survived a fatal car crash to ever type again. To say going to jail for drunk driving was a “wake up call” is a gross understatement. It was a life changing event.

No doubt like many of you, I always believed getting caught for drunk driving was something that happened to others. Besides I didn’t drink that often. I never drank at home. I would only drink once a twice a month when I was out with friends or at a social function. I knew I could handle drinking and driving. I always had. I was a fool. I still have nightmares of running the red light I ran that night only this time I’m crashing into to an innocent mother and her child. I’m glad it’s only a nightmare I have to experience and not actually waking up to my nightmare being real. It could have been real. It’s real everyday. Doubt me? Take a peak at this latest “Google search” https://www.google.com/search?q=“drunk+driving”&tbm=nws&prmd=niv&source=lnt&tbs=sbd:1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9sPKXgr7dAhVK7YMKHbLQAfgQpwUIHg&biw=320&bih=427&dpr=2

When I went to jail, I was put in a cell with 9 other guys. They were all convicted felons. One of the guys in my cell pod had just been sentenced to 10 years in prison for his first DUI in which he killed a father of three young children. Like me, he was a professional. He had never been in any prior criminal trouble. Like me, he didn’t drink often but also like me when he did drink, he drank more than he should have before driving a car.

It was gut wrenching listening to him. He had a family of his own, nice home, well regarded in the community, a “good guy” but he was now a convicted felon about to begin a prison sentence. As he told me once while we eating the crappy jail food, “All I wanted to do that Saturday was play in a scramble golf tournament with my buddies, have a few beers and tell some lies. I never intended to hurt anybody.” I’ve heard his comments many times in my head over the last two years.

I certainly take no pride in sharing this personal revelation. Thankfully, I’m still consciously aware of the devastating calamities that attach to drinking and driving. If I can cause one person to reassess themselves about drinking and driving this post is worth the time I spent writing it. Please remember this, sometimes you don’t get a second chance to avoid making a bad decision, a bad decision that can ruin your life and the life of others forever. Moreover, you escalate your chances of making an irreversible bad decision when you get too drunk to realize you are about to make a bad decision. Don’t drink and drive. It’s always a bad decision.

Amen to what you said. There is a Paddock
to discuss that.

Reactions: jrollins24
Before UK and Murray State began their game, fellow members of Big Blue Nation suffered a clearly avoidable tragedy. An 18 year old UK freshman, who was driving while intoxicated, hit and critically injured a 4 year old boy. I surely hope this child makes a full recovery for his sake, the sake of his family and the sake of the 18 year old driver who hit him.

No doubt like many of you, I always believed getting caught for drunk driving was something that happened to others. Besides I didn’t drink that often. I never drank at home. I would only drink once or twice a month when I was out with friends or at a social function. I knew I could handle drinking and driving. I always had. I was a fool. I still have nightmares of running the red light I ran that night only this time I’m crashing into to an innocent mother and her child. I’m glad it’s only a nightmare I have to experience and not actually waking up to my nightmare being real. It could have been real. It’s real everyday. Doubt me? Take a peak at this latest “Google search” https://www.google.com/search?q=“drunk+driving”&tbm=nws&prmd=niv&source=lnt&tbs=sbd:1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9sPKXgr7dAhVK7YMKHbLQAfgQpwUIHg&biw=320&bih=427&dpr=2

I certainly take no pride in sharing this personal revelation. Thankfully, I’m still consciously aware of the devastating calamities that attach to drinking and driving. If I can cause one person to reassess themselves about drinking and driving this post is worth the time I spent writing it. Please remember this, sometimes you don’t get a second chance to avoid making a bad decision, a bad decision that can ruin your life and the lives of others forever. Moreover, you escalate your chances of making an irreversible bad decision when you get too drunk to realize you are about to make a bad decision. Don’t drink and drive. It’s always a bad decision.
Driving in general is stressful these days. Distracted drivers are everywhere. It’s not the drivers that have a few beers that concern me., it’s the constantly looking at their phone and not paying attention inexperienced drivers that are the biggest problem.

The guy was that drunk BEFORE noon? Wow. Sad situation for everyone involved. Prayers for the child.

Driving in general is stressful these days. Distracted drivers are everywhere. It’s not the drivers that have a few beers that concern me., it’s the constantly looking at their phone and not paying attention inexperienced drivers that are the biggest problem.

Why don’t you just say “I drink and drive but other people text and drive so it’s OK.” Every time you do it you are being a selfish prick. Honestly, says a whole lot about your character.

American politicians are finally giving the middle finger to certain lobbies and legalizing the gungy.

Slowly but surely. We need these ancient politicians to retire or die and replace them with ones that were teenagers in the 70s and 80s to really start to see movement.

Ky will still be the 49th or 50th state to legalize it. Hell, they'll probably legalize it at the federal level before we do. Watch.

Reactions: michaeluk26
This is nothing short of a tragedy. I truly hope the young boy makes a full recovery. In this day and age, with uber and lyft, finding rides is so easy. A football game is the last place someone should feel the need to drive to and from while consuming alcohol, especially when they live in Lexington. I don't expect a drunk 18 year old to make the best decisions, but did he have no friends with him? Why did he even have a car at the game?

While DUI's have shown to be down in Louisville and Lexington since these ride share companies have flourished, it still seems to be a problem. It's a tragedy all around as a life may be taken and another life was ruined.

I’ve been there my friend, and also spent 4 days in jail. Regardless of all it cost me it’s having put others at risk I can never forgive. Fortunately the Good Lord was looking over me, and I hurt no one.

Related, in my time at UK, the late 70’s, it was a running joke to not be on the streets of Lexington after a football game.

Texting and driving has single handedly led to me developing road rage. When I see someone looking at their phone while driving it makes me so mad. It's one of the most selfish things a person can do. It also shows the person has no restraint. It's pathetic honestly.

I’ve been there my friend, and also spent 4 days in jail. Regardless of all it cost me it’s having put others at risk I can never forgive. Fortunately the Good Lord was looking over me, and I hurt no one.

Related, in my time at UK, the late 70’s, it was a running joke to not be on the streets of Lexington after a football game.
I’d say that running joke still applies. Especially after a night game.

Why don’t you just say “I drink and drive but other people text and drive so it’s OK.” Every time you do it you are being a selfish prick. Honestly, says a whole lot about your character.
You self righteous little prick. You don’t know me at all. You want to talk about character? I’ll put my record, background, and character up against your sorry ass any day of the week.

This is nothing short of a tragedy. I truly hope the young boy makes a full recovery. In this day and age, with uber and lyft, finding rides is so easy. A football game is the last place someone should feel the need to drive to and from while consuming alcohol, especially when they live in Lexington. I don't expect a drunk 18 year old to make the best decisions, but did he have no friends with him? Why did he even have a car at the game?

While DUI's have shown to be down in Louisville and Lexington since these ride share companies have flourished, it still seems to be a problem. It's a tragedy all around as a life may be taken and another life was ruined.
This is spot on. Zero reason to drive intoxicated these days. Uber and Lyft makes it so easy to be responsible.

Texting and driving has single handedly led to me developing road rage. When I see someone looking at their phone while driving it makes me so mad. It's one of the most selfish things a person can do. It also shows the person has no restraint. It's pathetic honestly.
Hey man, I drive a lot, and I’ve had so many close calls recently with people looking at their phones, mostly younger people. I really believe I will be seriously injured or die because a distracted driver hits me. I hope to retire in 5 years. I hope I make it before I’m killed in a car accident. I’m not kidding.

Whoah
That’s NOT what he said and I’m pretty certain he was not excusing drinking and driving. You also don’t know, and cannot infer, that he goes driving after a few drinks.
He did make a good point about those who use their phones when driving

Yet according to many politicians and many in society, marijuana is the real problem. I would much prefer to share the road with stoned drivers driving 10 mph under the speed limit.

I'm not an expert in these fields, but I am very confident that stoned drivers aren't going to make the roads safer.

I don't have anything against weed, in fact, I wish they would legalize and tax the hell out of it to pay for infrastructure and education but this idea that more stoners is going to make society better and roads safer is absolutely asinine.

Weed is a vice, great, there are plenty of them in the world. Let's not make it out to be some miracle cure for all the shortcomings in the world. After it is legalized the day will come when we find out about all the physical, medical, psychological, and societal unintended consequences like every other vice.

Reactions: warrior-cat
I'm not an expert in these fields, but I am very confident that stoned drivers aren't going to make the roads safer.

I don't have anything against weed, in fact, I wish they would legalize and tax the hell out of it to pay for infrastructure and education but this idea that more stoners is going to make society better and roads safer is absolutely asinine.

Weed is a vice, great, there are plenty of them in the world. Let's not make it out to be some miracle cure for all the shortcomings in the world. After it is legalized the day will come when we find out about all the physical, medical, psychological, and societal unintended consequences like every other vice.

Way to miss the point and put words in my mouth. I didn't say stoned drivers would make roads safer nor did I say that legalizing weed would make society better. I do agree with you that it should be legal.

My point was that between stoned drivers and drunk drivers, I'll take pothead drivers 10 out of 10 times. I'll also take them over texting drivers.

I've driven all three ways in my life unfortunately, and I was much less likely to wreck while stoned than the other two.

You still shouldn't do any of them though.

Reactions: Wildcatsworld
I had to lock my brakes up Friday because an oncoming truck was entirely in my lane and I noticed he was looking at his phone. The worst part was that after he corrected to his lane he went back to looking at his phone like it was no big deal. I saved both of us from being in a head on crash and he clearly does that often enough to act as though it’s common place.

So I called the company he was driving a company truck for, first time I’ve ever reported somebody. I spend a lot of time on the road and dodge these dumbasses all day and usually go about my way but he may end up killing someone. I doubt he gets in trouble but there needs to be a record of it so that when he does hurt someone they’ll have to pay for it.

Nobody follows traffic laws these days. Nobody. If I see someone actually stop at a stop sign or even pause when turning right on red, I nearly go into shock. All of that is just as bad as all of the other stuff already mentioned.

We shouldn't legalize and form of drug for recreational use that impairs you. The original post is the very reason why. It puts others in danger because there are idiots who can't be responsible with it.

Reactions: warrior-cat
We shouldn't legalize and form of drug for recreational use that impairs you. The original post is the very reason why. It puts others in danger because there are idiots who can't be responsible with it.

The same can be said for alcohol though. You don't associate it with drugs because it's been legal for so long. It's essentially a drug. At the end of the day it's all just chemicals impacting cognition.

Thanks for sharing your story and there Is never a bad time to bring up something so dangerous, selfish and problematic as drunk driving. Hopefully this hits home and helps someone out there preventing them from making a mistake that can cost someone their life.

Reactions: Kampus Korner
Did you come over on the mayflower? Lol.

I think lots of people use alcohol and weed, for that matter, responsibly. Punish the behavior that endangers people.

Last edited:
Reactions: kritikalcat

Your right, but this is what I think after a lifetime of using pot, and a battle with alcohol beginning in my mid 50’s. One is addictive and very destructive, the other not. Pot has never caused me a problem, alcohol almost destroyed everything I’d worked for my entire life. Pot has no business being classified with coke or H.

Good post. I'm older than most on this board I think and I can't honestly say I never drove when I shouldn't have. By the grace of God I never hurt anyone or got locked up. However, I have to grandchildren at UK now and have encouraged them to learn from my generation's mistakes. I've set up an Uber account for them that I pay for so that they never have to make a dumb decision because they don't have enough money for a ride. As a side not, UK has kind of screwed this up by cracking down on the kids' tailgates and encouraging them to tailgate at their houses that aren't on campus. That will result in more kids driving.

The same can be said for alcohol though. You don't associate it with drugs because it's been legal for so long. It's essentially a drug. At the end of the day it's all just chemicals impacting cognition.
Alcohol is definitely a drug. That is definitely one thing I was referring to.

Reactions: ConRay9
Did you come over on the mayflower? Lol.

I think lots more of people use alcohol and weed, for that matter, responsibly. Punish the behavior that endangers people.
What the hell does the Mayflower have to do with anything. The problem with your argument is that generally the behavior isn't punished until and incident such as this. Why do we have to lose a life for that to happen?

Your right, but this is what I think after a lifetime of using pot, and a battle with alcohol beginning in my mid 50’s. One is addictive and very destructive, the other not. Pot has never caused me a problem, alcohol almost destroyed everything I’d worked for my entire life. Pot has no business being classified with coke or H.

Exactly. The other big difference between the two is where they are typically consumed. Even in legal states, pot is usually smoked at home. Alcohol is typically drank socially at bars and restaurants leading to people getting on the road afterwards.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my wife and I smoking a bowl to relax after the kids go to bed. It's no different than a couple of glasses of bourbon or wine. Snorting coke or smoking meth is in a different category altogether.

Reactions: 420grover
ADVERTISEMENT