ADVERTISEMENT

When should we be nervous?

No panic at all this year. It's TOUGH to replace an entire roster. We'll get enough to play no doubt, but this year was always going to be a rebuild and it might be an ugly season. THAT'S OKAY! We HAD to get away from Cal, and it was always going to be like this with the current landscape of CBB.

The good part is even if we suck next year, we'll have fun cheering on players and a coach who are not OfCal and his stink.
Basically what I had been thinking for 7-10 years....that when ever Calipari left....we would have nothing. With the OAD and most of the team leaving every year, we would be left with nothing when he left.
Fortunately in the last few years we have the portal to replenish. And yes...it may lead to a rough year or two till Pope and his staff get in on some top tier H.S. players.

What would we have done if Calipari had left before the portal? Have on campus tryouts for walk ons?

• Haha
Reactions: Lempface
So, last week, several people on here and the KSR crew were saying no one should panic unless we get to the end of this week without much movement. Well...we getting close to the end of the week.

While we have gotten coaches in place for the most part, we have only added 1 transfer player, 1 recruit we flipped from BYU and we got Perry to essentially recommit. While none of those are negatives, we are still a long way off from even having a team that can play 5 guys.

The 2 freshman probably shouldn't be expected to play major minutes this year if we hope to be very successful, and we have no idea of how impactful Williams will be at the P5 level.

So, when is it reasonable to start expressing concerns?

It seems every major portal player we are after is spurning us, and there aren't many HS guys we can still get even if we wanted them. The BYU guy that visited seems torn on transfering, and Robinson seems like he would like to go pro of possible.

It seems like we are struggling to get players.
I'll be less nervous when I see no more of these posts made by accounts that joined when Cal left. We're chilling. The fear mongering posts have all been lame. Guys are still putting themselves in the portal, if we had no one to choose from then I'd be nervous.

I'll be less nervous when I see no more of these posts made by accounts that joined when Cal left. We're chilling. The fear mongering posts have all been lame. Guys are still putting themselves in the portal, if we had no one to choose from then I'd be nervous.

Ninja turtles aren't very good at fear-mongering, though.

Friends Leatylrs GIF - Friends Leatylrs GIFs

So, last week, several people on here and the KSR crew were saying no one should panic unless we get to the end of this week without much movement. Well...we getting close to the end of the week.

While we have gotten coaches in place for the most part, we have only added 1 transfer player, 1 recruit we flipped from BYU and we got Perry to essentially recommit. While none of those are negatives, we are still a long way off from even having a team that can play 5 guys.

The 2 freshman probably shouldn't be expected to play major minutes this year if we hope to be very successful, and we have no idea of how impactful Williams will be at the P5 level.

It seems every major portal player we are after is spurning us, and there aren't many HS guys we can still get even if we wanted them. The BYU guy that visited seems torn on transfering, and Robinson seems like he would like to go pro of possible.

I think if you applied yourself better, you could be a lot more negative!

Here are the studs left on the board, in order based on player efficiency rating in 2023-24:

Vladislav Goldin - C
Amari Williams - C - UK Commit
Aubin Gateretse - C
Jalen Smith - PG
DJ Burns - PF
Matt Cross - PF
Great Osobor - PF
Chaz Lanier - G
Anthony Dell-Orso - SF

From here up had player efficiency ratings higher than Zvonomir Ivisic, Reed Sheppard, Antonio Reeves, and Rob Dillingham in 2023-24. There are a couple more who also did but were left off the list for having less playing time than an average starter.

Jonas Aidoo - SF
BJ Freeman - PF
Jamarii Thomas - G
Johnell Davis - G - Trending Arkansas
Sean Stewart - G
Nana Owusu-Anane - PF
Deivon Smith - G
Clifford Omoruyi - C
Duncan Powell - C
Richie Saunders - G
Jalen Blackmon - G
Khalif Battle - G
Nikita Konstantynovskyi - C
Brycen Goodine - G
Andrew Carr - SF
Cade Tyson - SF
Tyler Bilodeau - PF
Max Shulga - G
Dante Maddox, Jr. - G
Marcus Hill - G
Kevin Miller - G
Dejour Reaves - G
Camren Hunter - G
Felix Okpara - C
Koby Brea - G
Jordan Pope - G
Dakota Leffew - G
Sean Pedulla - G
Aaron Scott - SF
Javon Small - G
Xavier Amos - PF
Brandon Garrison - C

From here up had player efficiency ratings higher than Adou Thiero, UK's 5th rated player in efficiency in 2023-24. There are a couple more who also did but were left off the list for having less playing time than an average starter.

Adou Thiero - SF
Ezra Ausar - PF

Aaron Bradshaw - PF - UK's 6th rated player in player efficiency 2023-24.

At this point, there are many players left in the portal that are below average in player efficiency from 2023-24. The above players listed are all above average. If we get 4-5 of the players listed above, we will be in as good of shape of any of the top programs for 2024-25. Start to worry when all of these drop off the board and there are no other players taking their place. Remember, the portal doesn't close until May 1.
Thanks for Sharing!

Reactions: Eight_Banners

Your a drama queen. No info is good info IMHO.
So did UL. They currently have 6 players.
The more you post the nuttier you sound. Anyone that uses Louisville for an example of anything is nuts.

Reactions: Ugoff
I'm gonna start to worry if we don't get 3 or 4 guys by Derby day.
I still think Pope will come through but if we miss on a couple game changers, it will be pause for concern.
Im not sure their are game chan gers in the portal yet.

If Memorial Day comes and we still have 3 players, get nervous.

We’re not filling the roster after a coaching change in 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: catben

mid July

Your a drama queen. No info is good info IMHO.

The more you post the nuttier you sound. Anyone that uses Louisville for an example of anything is nuts.
You're*

UL is doing much better in the portal than most anyone would have expected. Particularly for being a dumpster fire that last 5 years. And no one would have said they would have 6 guys and likely to add more this week to our 3 and uncertainty about who we might add next.

You're*

UL is doing much better in the portal than most anyone would have expected. Particularly for being a dumpster fire that last 5 years. And no one would have said they would have 6 guys and likely to add more this week to our 3 and uncertainty about who we might add next.
Would you trade their players for ours? I doubt it

Never. Why should any fan be nervous over what players sign and doesn't sign?
Why be nervous over something you or I have zero control over?

Reactions: MegaBlue05
No one is senstive just tired of the chicken little post with nothing to say but the sky is falling..
So you're sensitive to those kinds of posts then, right?

Would you trade their players for ours? I doubt it
I like the Drexel kid, but I am open to the other 2. Considering UL has at least 1 player we were after, and I think we contacted 2 or 3 of them, it would certainly be interesting.

They hired their coach 2 weeks before we had an opening.

So in 4 weeks they have 6 players. In two weeks, we have 3 players.

Do you now see how this works using your own example?
Did they all just committ there or something?

UL was also a dumpster fire. Very different situations. Again, no one would have wagered we would be with 3 players while they have 6 at this point.

So, no, I really don't see that using my example.

Try again?

Never. Why should any fan be nervous over what players sign and doesn't sign?
Why be nervous over something you or I have zero control over?
Lol, if you can control it, why would you be nervous about it? Logically, you should be nervous about the things you can't control.

Was he 7 years ago?

Brooks is the main guy that got him the transfers that won the title for Baylor
7 years ago Drew had the bears ranked #1 in the regular season and made it to the sweet 16. Pope may go on to do great things but you cant compare the two (currently).

If we're not competitive in non conference season then I would get nervous.

When you break 100 posts.
This guy, just here to stir things up. Is the poster boy for requiring some time, and post history, before starting threads. This one is transparent.

So you're sensitive to those kinds of posts then, right?

I like the Drexel kid, but I am open to the other 2. Considering UL has at least 1 player we were after, and I think we contacted 2 or 3 of them, it would certainly be interesting.

Did they all just committ there or something?

UL was also a dumpster fire. Very different situations. Again, no one would have wagered we would be with 3 players while they have 6 at this point.

So, no, I really don't see that using my example.

Try again?

Lol, if you can control it, why would you be nervous about it? Logically, you should be nervous about the things you can't control.
Life things yes. Basketball no. And I love UK haven't missed a game in years. But I just go with the flow on recruiting/transfer. If they sign great. If they don't nothing I can do to make them.

I'm old enough to remember when Rupp Rafters trolls were creative and entertaining to a degree. It was amusing. Now it feels like they just make the same comments you can read about UK on Inside Carolina or the Phog.

everyone knows your intent, that's why everyone is not taking your post serious. just relax if you're an actual fan. just signed a great assistant today if you are keeping up

Reactions: MegaBlue05
I'm old enough to remember when Rupp Rafters trolls were creative and entertaining to a degree. It was amusing. Now it feels like they just make the same comments you can read about UK on Inside Carolina or the Phog.
What's funny is that he think he's sly. Dumbest guy in the room thinks he's the smartest. smh
Not at all, but I do think I am smarter than people who are so paranoid think they are being "trolled" because someone that posed a question they are triggered by. However, that just seems to be a handful of you as most people in this thread have engaged in a normal manner and don't seem offended.

If I was a troll, surely you could point out some actual trolling I have done.

UL has several added to the roster ............whoopdie damn doo.

J'Vonne Hadley, Colorado - an actual quality player
Terrance Edwards Jr, James Madison- 42% FG , 34% 3pt ... not efficient for 17ppg
Koren Johnson, Washington- good player but on a bad team
Reyne Smith , Charleston- decent player
James Scott , Charleston- 44% FT shooter is a massive weakness
Aly Khalifa , BYU- wont play anyways

Thats maybe middle of the pack in the ACC type lineup . if UK settled for middle of the pack in the SEC, we could have speed rushed by taking less efficient players

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT