ADVERTISEMENT

When Pitino was hired....

celtikat33

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2023
From someone who is more knowledgeable than I, wasn't Rick Pitino our 3rd choice when he was hired?

CM Newton was going to be interim HC, we got turned down by so many people. We got turned down at least once in every coaching search except maybe 1997. I don't remember if Tubby was the first offer or not.

Reactions: celtikat33
CM Newton was going to be interim HC, we got turned down by so many people. We got turned down at least once in every coaching search except maybe 1997. I don't remember if Tubby was the first offer or not.
Yeah Tubby and CM was tight. CM had told Tubby prior that when Rick left to be ready for that call to come to Lexington. Tubby even had a "Kentucky" clause written up in his contract that should UK call then he could leave freely anytime if they called. Dooley had just signed Tubby to an extension a few weeks before CM called him about getting his shit and bringing his JD Barnette style to UK. Alot of fans thought we were getting another Rick but we ended up getting ol JD.

Tubby wanted to be his own man and you can't blame him for that. I respect him for that but he was always bullshittin us about running and pressing more and acted as if he was ready to run like Rock instead he'd jack like JD. And JD liked a slowjack. Pitino would run that Sypher D on teams and it's be over quick. Tub wanted to play it close til the end and hoped to win at the end.

Lute Olsen and PJ Carlisimo turned us down..
Thank goodness they did turn us down ... and serves as a perfect example of fool's gold when believing that hiring "long-in-the-tooth" coaching retreads is the best option.

I remember telling Newton that Pitino was the only coach that could bring us back. Don't remember who he was looking at. Just remember watching some Pitino games and how exciting they was and knew that was who we needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: true blue1
Stupid take. Washed up has been. 92 Pitino ain’t walking back through that door and he should NEVER be offered the chance.
Maybe so. But his top two portal additions are better than Pope's top two portal additions so far, and Pitino is the only coach last March who gave UConn a game.

I'm not sure I'd call him "washed up." He's right where he needs to be, and St. John's might be decent this year if they keep putting pieces together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT