ADVERTISEMENT

When do we get our first 2020 commitment

We always worry about recruiting even during the 2012 title run we were still posting about who we thought UK could get in the next class.
I was really referring more to the "UK is my dream school" type of recruit who will just sign under Cal, because players will see that we can both develop players AND get to the Final Four, instead of just using him.

Reactions: jace2012
I noticed Boston was getting some Duke picks in the Crystal ball, I thought UK had the momentum in that recruitment?

Has Nix even been offered ? Be hard for him to be the first is he does not hold a offer.
No, but cal does that in person because I think he likes to get a feel for the type of character the player has, as well as how he could fit into the system. Cal doesn’t like just throwing offers at kids he saw play once and has never spoken to. Rest assured, once he has an official cal will offer him. With cooper seeming like we won’t get him, I think cal will put everything into nix since he’s the type of pg cal likes with cooper being a wildcard at this point.

We always worry about recruiting even during the 2012 title run we were still posting about who we thought UK could get in the next class.

Heck, IIRC, we were hoping Cal would add Stokes in December of that season because we thought we needed another banger inside. LOL!

Reactions: jace2012
Is Nix like the Harrisons? Good player , good passer, fair shooter but can’t guard quicker guards like Sharife Cooper who we will face 100 times. Plus guys that come in during early season games that you never heard of, and they usually abuse our slow guards. Cal needs to get Cooper.

You and the person you quoted think Cal’s recruiting needs help. (It doesn’t) And the logic that a Final Four would help is also incorrect. They so called down turn in recruiting happened after the 2015 season (Final Four), so that logic is flawed as well
That person would be me, lol.

You don't think what happened that year had an impact on recruiting? Trust me, it did. It's not just NIKE, Capel, LeBron.

Is Nix like the Harrisons? Good player , good passer, fair shooter but can’t guard quicker guards like Sharife Cooper who we will face 100 times. Plus guys that come in during early season games that you never heard of, and they usually abuse our slow guards. Cal needs to get Cooper.

Hell with Cooper, i want Karim Mane..

I admit I'm getting a little nervous and would like to land someone soon. By this time last year, we had Maxey locked up (May) and were about to land Whitney (Aug). We usually have a mass exodus, but after this year we could be left with just a couple guys. I would think all the returnees leave after this year and Sestina is a Sr. so that's 5 of the 10 gone. Maybe Quickly comes back for the 3rd year, but that's a big maybe. Maxey and Whitney are likely OAD and I'm sure Brooks and maybe even Juzang will have a chance to test the waters if they have as good a season as I expect. We might be left with 2-3 guys which are normal, but I really hope we start landing some guys soon. Duke has two Top 15 guys and UNC is also on the board. 23 of the Top 100 on ESPN are gone and #1 and 2 we already know are locks for USC and OKST.

I feel like we will need 7-8 guys for next year and while I'm sure grad transfers and reclass will be involved the Freshman will once again be a big part of the team. Would be really nice to land a Boston or Green this month so we have a guy like Maxey recruiting other players. While it looks like we have all these young players now we all know a good chunk could leave after one year. I know Cal always works it out, but I'm just starting to feel a little panic with July here. I really hope we land 1-2 2020 guys before August is over. I know most will say chill and it's fine just want to get that first guy landed.

I think it will be sooner than later, but I have a feeling it will be the nix kid. He’s a cal type player and he’s moving up the charts and likes ky. I don’t think he has mentioned us as a dream school yet, which is a bonus
Disagree. Cal isn't close to a commitment yet. So I think it will be later, rather than sooner. Small class in November, with more coming on board in April. And as far as I know, Nix does not have a scholarship offer from Kentucky.

With cooper seeming like we won’t get him, I think cal will put everything into nix since he’s the type of pg cal likes with cooper being a wildcard at this point.
Cooper is still uncommitted, and Cal hasn't offered Nix. We might still sign Cooper, or we might not sign either of them. But Cal has had a national top 2 class every year he has been at Kentucky, and I see no reason to think it will be different this time.

Maybe someone with more of an eye for detail can write up something showing the actual month/year that each player committed to UK, for Cal's teams. It feels like he is signing them later and later.

Maybe someone with more of an eye for detail can write up something showing the actual month/year that each player committed to UK, for Cal's teams. It feels like he is signing them later and later.
He is signing them later and later because more ranked players are waiting until spring to sign.

I'm hoping this class includes at least one of Boston or Green.

UK is due for a true top 5 pick-level stud. We've only had one of those types since Towns (Fox) and going back to 2008, Cal's teams have won at least 32 games when they feature a top 5 pick (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017).

This isn't a coincidence. Unlike Coach K, Cal does his best work with freshmen studs.

I'm hoping this class includes at least one of Boston or Green.

UK is due for a true top 5 pick-level stud. We've only had one of those types since Towns (Fox) and going back to 2008, Cal's teams have won at least 32 games when they feature a top 5 pick (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017).

This isn't a coincidence. Unlike Coach K, Cal does his best work with freshmen studs.
Exactly. I've been saying that, but not as well as you did.

I admit I'm getting a little nervous and would like to land someone soon. By this time last year, we had Maxey locked up (May) and were about to land Whitney (Aug). We usually have a mass exodus, but after this year we could be left with just a couple guys. I would think all the returnees leave after this year and Sestina is a Sr. so that's 5 of the 10 gone. Maybe Quickly comes back for the 3rd year, but that's a big maybe. Maxey and Whitney are likely OAD and I'm sure Brooks and maybe even Juzang will have a chance to test the waters if they have as good a season as I expect. We might be left with 2-3 guys which are normal, but I really hope we start landing some guys soon. Duke has two Top 15 guys and UNC is also on the board. 23 of the Top 100 on ESPN are gone and #1 and 2 we already know are locks for USC and OKST.

I feel like we will need 7-8 guys for next year and while I'm sure grad transfers and reclass will be involved the Freshman will once again be a big part of the team. Would be really nice to land a Boston or Green this month so we have a guy like Maxey recruiting other players. While it looks like we have all these young players now we all know a good chunk could leave after one year. I know Cal always works it out, but I'm just starting to feel a little panic with July here. I really hope we land 1-2 2020 guys before August is over. I know most will say chill and it's fine just want to get that first guy landed.

If so, it will be nothing but good and fun for UK and the fans....

Fletcher visited a couple of weeks ago but Fisher put this up yesterday. Hmm.

Final Four? You think that will do it?
I would think recruit's ears would perk up more. In my mind, the Final Four is much more of a limelight for the recruit than Elite Eights and Sweet16's. All the crap that we know is going on, aside, Cal's not winning it all in 2015 with all that talent hurt in more ways than one. There is no doubt in my mind that it was used against us on the recruiting trails. I'm trying to look at this from the way that I think recruit's look at it. Since it's well known that if you're good enough you can play practically anywhere and STILL get drafted, where would YOU want to play?

Maxey 5/9/18
Allen 8/2/18
Whitney 8/8/18
Brooks 3/15/19
Juzang 5/10/19

IQ 9/22/17
Johnson 11/11/17
Herro 11/14/17
EJ 4/9/18
Hagans 4/10/18

PJ 11/10/16
Nick 11/10/16
SGA 11/14/16
Quade 11/19/16
Vanderbilt 12/23/16
Baker 4/11/17
Knox 5/6/17

SKJ 8/19/15
Gabriel 10/1/15
Fox 11/13/15
Bam 11/19/15
Monk 11/19/15
Diallo 1/7/17

Matthews 2/26/14
Skal 11/14/14
Briscoe 11/14/14
Tai 1/26/15
Mulder 4/29/15
Murray 6/25/15
Humpty 8/20/15

KAT 12/4/12
Ullis 9/14/13
Booker 11/1/13
Lyles 11/6/13

So, it is not uncommon for Cal to not have a recruit at this time. 2019 was earlier than all the rest, so I guess that was in my mind. So lets just take it easy and wait for November (by far Cal's month)

Maxey 5/9/18
Allen 8/2/18
Whitney 8/8/18
Brooks 3/15/19
Juzang 5/10/19

IQ 9/22/17
Johnson 11/11/17
Herro 11/14/17
EJ 4/9/18
Hagans 4/10/18

PJ 11/10/16
Nick 11/10/16
SGA 11/14/16
Quade 11/19/16
Vanderbilt 12/23/16
Baker 4/11/17
Knox 5/6/17

SKJ 8/19/15
Gabriel 10/1/15
Fox 11/13/15
Bam 11/19/15
Monk 11/19/15
Diallo 1/7/17

Matthews 2/26/14
Skal 11/14/14
Briscoe 11/14/14
Tai 1/26/15
Mulder 4/29/15
Murray 6/25/15
Humpty 8/20/15

KAT 12/4/12
Ullis 9/14/13
Booker 11/1/13
Lyles 11/6/13

So, it is not uncommon for Cal to not have a recruit at this time. 2019 was earlier than all the rest, so I guess that was in my mind. So lets just take it easy and wait for November (by far Cal's month)

Great Job Canned Heat. Now maybe some of these cry babies will stop worrying themselves to death over nothing. Some of our posters need to see my therapist because they are crazier than I am.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Cooper is still uncommitted, and Cal hasn't offered Nix. We might still sign Cooper, or we might not sign either of them. But Cal has had a national top 2 class every year he has been at Kentucky, and I see no reason to think it will be different this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT