ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite UK championship season?

What's your favorite UK championship season?

• Total voters
‘96 - ‘78 - ‘98 - ‘12

All these teams were great in different ways, that said. I believe the ‘96 team is the best college team I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: J_Dee
98 was a special one for me. It’s when I started understanding why everyone around me was going crazy in the living room. Special days!
I also remember the dumbest luckiest shot in the world and my dads reaction.

I grew up hearing about Beard and Groza, then Cliff Hagan. however the Fiddling Five was the first group where I had a firm understanding of what was going on.

Reactions: storm1507
2012 because I went to 4 game that year. 5 if you count that Morehouse game. I remember they scored 12 points. I remember thinking this is the year. And I was right.

Of those that won, 1978 because of the 20-year drought, i had interaction with that team through the coaching staff with that team. But my three favorite were teams that didn’t win it. 1966, 1970, 1975.

‘96 - ‘78 - ‘98 - ‘12

All these teams were great in different ways, that said. I believe the ‘96 team is the best college team I’ve ever seen.
The 96 team with its press destroyed teams. It was perfectionism by Pitino in his use of players. I remember DA saying you could see defeat in players eyes and scoring was not the main objective for teams, it was just getting the ball past mid court.

Reactions: cat tat2
98. UK trailed by double digits in each of its last 3 games. By 17 in the 2nd half vs. Duke. I figure that tournament shortened my life by at least 6 months due to the stress, but it was sweet when it happened. My favorite championship.

96 was fun because it was the only athletic event that I can remember watching with my daughter. She even wanted to go out to the airport later. So, it was very strange. Now, 27 years later, I can't remember if we actually went or only joked around about it.

66 was the saddest loss, but I was young enough where I forgot about it 5 minutes after the game was over.

This poll has a lot to do with age and potentially the first championship you can remember. I was born in 76, so 1996 for me.

I was 20 years old and had only seen us play in 2 final fours and really only remember 1 of them as I was still pretty young in 1984.

For me it was close between 96 and 98. I was a student at UK during that period and had the opportunity to go to the 96 Final Four in East Rutherford. It was an awesome time for a college kid. I went to Indy in 97 as well but stayed in Lexington in 98 instead of going to San Antonio. I wanted to experience a championship on campus that year as I thought we had a great chance at winning after we beat Duke. It was great but being in NY in 96 was definitely an awesome time that I won't ever forget so 96 is definitely my favorite.

For me it was 1998 because it was so unexpected. Nobody expected a championship before the season, at any point in the season, not going into the tourney and not at halftime of any of the last few games.

Love them all, of course, but have to go with '98 (wasn't around for all those early ones in the 40's). 98 was special though. Change in coaches, the unknown and then the magic of the Comeback Cats! We seemed to be way down in every game only to find a way to come back to win. The unbelievable comeback against Duke was what really made it very special. So, '98 gets my vote.

It's like asking which is your favorite child. I said 96 because it had been 18 years since 78 and our rivals had all won multiple titles in that time. The first half at LSU was the signature moment. But the moment that still gives me chills was the players singing "Tell me who's in the house tonight? Yoo Kay!" after the title game. We were the top program at that moment.

I figure most of us are too young to remember the championship seasons before 1977-1978. I was less than a year old during the '78 championship game, but I grew up hearing all about it (especially about Goose's performance) from my dad and his dad, both lifelong UK fans.

I love the 2011-2012 team (smashing Indiana, Louisville, and finally Kansas in the tournament is great), but The Untouchables will always be my favorite. That team made my dad and his dad ecstatic that UK was finally back on top after suffering through the Sutton era.

1995-96.jpg
Favorite season was 2015 so they didn’t win that’s life it was still the best team

2015 was the only team that could come close to the 78 team during the regular season but they didn't get the job done in tournament. Like I said, most are probably too young to remember 78 but I would take them over 96 because they could play any style well and the multiple defenses too. People are influenced by the number of NBA players 96 had but 78 was just as deep. We are talking college, not what those guys did in the pros.

98 because I got to go to the elite eight in St Pete and watch Turner abuse Wojo in the comeback.!! And ofcourse Sheppard being MVP of final four.

‘78 I was only 9 years old, but I was a wildcat to to core!
I remember a game that season that the power had went off(snow storm maybe) and I had to set right in front of a window, holding the antenna on a battery operated radio so I could listen to Cawood call the game…..good times!

Hard to pick. But 97-98 for me because we were still strong from that 95-96 title. And bouncing back after Rick left. And we beat Duke to move on to the final rounds, avenging that 92 loss. Was my last year of middle school going into high school. Lots of good memories.

But I love all three titles I've been around to witness.
If someone had told me wouldn’t get to another final 4 until 2011 I would have lmao.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT