ADVERTISEMENT

What would be the con game here?

Dec 10, 2023
Bob's Country Bunker
So I get a text three days ago from a guy named Bill. For the purpose of this thread, I'll call myself John.

The exact text is this: " John, My name is Bill and I think you have the wrong person. Unless my memory fails me, I have no recollection of the event you are referring to.”

I've never texted this person and have no idea who they are. I looked up the number on reverse phone lookup and it does indeed belong to a guy named Bill. He's 61 and lives in a 3 million$ house in my city.

I didn't respond to the text. My first thought was that this person is trying to get me talking and then who knows what would happen since he'd have proof that I texted him. Creepy since it's his real number and he lives in my city and he knew my name and number. Also came off as a scam when he said "my name is Bill" when he's acting like I already knew his name.

Last edited:
So I get a text three days ago from a guy named Bill. For the purpose of this thread, I'll call myself John.

The exact text is this: " John, My name is Bill and I think you have the wrong person. Unless my memory fails me, I have no idea what event you are referring to.”

I've never texted this person and have no idea who they are. I looked up the number on reverse phone lookup and it does indeed belong to a guy named Bill. He's 61 and lives in a 3 million$ house in my city.

I didn't respond to the text. My first thought was that this person is trying to get me talking and then who knows what would happen since he'd have proof that I texted him. Creepy since it's his real number and he lives in my city and he knew my name and number. Also came off as a scam when he said "my name is Bill" when he's acting like I already knew his name.
Probably a scratch golfer with a 10 handicap trying to get you in a high stakes game. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
I get similar messages on work cell. I responded to one with you have wrong number. They replied with some Asian beauties pic saying do I have the wrong number now? I responded, yep, still the wrong number.

Last edited:
lol. It just got real wierd when I looked up the number and it does indeed belong to the guy that gave his name.

I really don't know how these work. Maybe someone texted Bill and spoofed your real number. The spoofer might of had a link in the text that they were trying to get Bill to respond to. Bill responded to your number, but didn't follow the link?

Reactions: augustaky1
I really don't know how these work. Maybe someone texted Bill and spoofed your real number. The spoofer might of had a link in the text that they were trying to get Bill to respond to. Bill responded to your number, but didn't follow the link?

Now that might be what happened or something similar because why would bill want his name and number out there, which could be easily searched to locate his address? You are probaby right, could be that he was getting scammed and my number is caught up in it.

I get similar messages on work cell. I responded to one with you have wrong number. They replied with some Asian beauties pic saying do I have the wrong number now? I responded, yep, still the wrong number.
This is the answer here.

“Is this Kathy? Can’t wait to see you this weekend!” *waits for you to respond with anything*

lol. It just got real wierd when I looked up the number and it does indeed belong to the guy that gave his name.
The weirdest I ever saw was at my elderly mother’s house. Her caller ID showed scam calls from a guy down the street who had died at least a year earlier.

Btw, that pig butchering scam video should be required viewing for anyone with elderly (or really gullible) family.

The weirdest I ever saw was at my elderly mother’s house. Her caller ID showed scam calls from a guy down the street who had died at least a year earlier.

Btw, that pig butchering scam video should be required viewing for anyone with elderly (or really gullible) family.

I take solace knowing their are some weirder people on here than whoever sent me that text, lol.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT