ADVERTISEMENT

What one single player not returning

Gromcat

All-American
Jun 29, 2021
Just about guaranteed we missed a sure title. To expand a little, I guess if they were considered locks in recruitment but flipped late we could add them too.

I’ll start with the obvious, Jodie Meeks 2010.

Also no obvious OAD guys in the OAD era should be considered.

2014 came pretty close to winning, right? What if you bring back Kyle Wiltjer in a slightly bigger role than he had on our 2012 championship team, and not as the guy we tried to play through in 2013? I think that may have been enough to have knocked off UConn.

interesting. I think the topic is hard so that might be a decent one that could have helped.

Reactions: drcats2013
Alex Poythress could have used his medical redshirt and came back in 2017. Bam was the only real physical presence we had. Poythress would have given us a second and Bam would have had some help underneath against unc.

That team doesn’t lose to ucla or kansas at home. We probably go into the tournament as the overall #1 and walk to a title.

Also i don’t know if anyone has watched any of Poythress highlights of his pro career. But i see him retweet some of his clips from time and time. He’s one of those guys that appears to have actually fully recovered from an acl injury. He looks every bit as athletic as he was before the injury. I feel like that doesn’t happen often.

Marquis Estill. Add him to the 2003 team and Tubby gets another banner. The ramifications to this timeline get real interesting. Does BCG happen? Does Calipari come here? Is Tubby just retiring from UK now if it happens?

Estill was on the 2003 team. Do you mean the 2004 team that lost to UAB in the second round?

Just about guaranteed we missed a sure title. To expand a little, I guess if they were considered locks in recruitment but flipped late we could add them too.

A healthy 7'1" Sam Bowie on our 1983 team. That team lost in overtime in the Elite-8. Put Bowie as a junior on that team, with the improvement he made from his freshman to his soph. year. WOW, JUST WOW. What a team that would have been & what a player Bowie would have been minus the injuries. If Bowie could have avoided the injuries. He would be in the Hall of Fame today, and our 83 team would have given coach Hall his 2nd national championship.

You’re dreaming. Most every team could claim that. It’s BS.

• Haha
Reactions: chroix
Right. A team that famously lost as a result of going 4-32 couldn’t use the guy who would have been returning after shooting 50% and making the most threes any Cat has in a season.
Right the kid could flat out it in the basket.
no way do you lose by not being able to hit a 3 with Jodie on the team. I would even guess that Jodie would make it much easier for wall and free some paint for Ppat to work. That team is very very hard to beat anyways and probably should’ve won the title anyways if not for maybe the worst shooting I’ve ever seen. fix their only weakness and boom

team almost won it and couldn’t throw it in the ocean while standing on the beach.

Jodie Meeks Cals first year, is a huge one for me.

Especially since we missed on Xavier Henry

A healthy 7'1" Sam Bowie on our 1983 team. That team lost in overtime in the Elite-8. Put Bowie as a junior on that team, with the improvement he made from his freshman to his soph. year. WOW, JUST WOW. What a team that would have been & what a player Bowie would have been minus the injuries. If Bowie could have avoided the injuries. He would be in the Hall of Fame today, and our 83 team would have given coach Hall his 2nd national championship.

Never knew much about this. I think my father mentioned something about Bowie and one of the early 80’s teams though. Maybe that was it. Slightly before my time.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

He is arguing against his own premise. If it would be true for everyone it makes no sense to call it BS as it is inherently true. The reality is it can only be true for a handful of teams each season.

Reactions: Gromcat

Yup. Meeks.

He is arguing against his own premise. If it would be true for everyone it makes no sense to call it BS as it is inherently true. The reality is it can only be true for a handful of teams each season.

I thought so. Yea that’s a stupid argument. First for us it’s more obvious because we’re always in the running for a title. It’s more relevant here. Second like you said if it’s true for everyone obviously it’s not bullshit.

Taking logic courses out of most college curriculums is beginning to show.

I’m honestly shocked that there is any debate that Meeks coming back wouldn’t have changed that outcome.

You’re shocked because there really isn’t a debate. Unless Meeks suddenly forgot to shoot (as practically a senior at that time no less) the the outcome would have at least been far different even if we lose. No way 4-32 happens.

Meeks (2010)
Teague & Lamb (2013)
Dakari Johnson (2016)

I mean, what's stopping us from listing guys like Wall, Cuz, Davis, Randle, Fox, Monk and Bam? Why not, they all left after 1 year? If they return, you're looking at several more titles.

Meeks (2010)
Teague & Lamb (2013)
Dakari Johnson (2016)

I mean, what's stopping us from listing guys like Wall, Cuz, Davis, Randle, Fox, Monk and Bam? Why not, they all left after 1 year? If they return, you're looking at several more titles.

Because it’s too obvious and none of the had any chance of returning. If you’re not coming back and that’s set in stone it makes no sense in this discussion. This is really about guys that we really had a shot at getting back like Meeks but they didn’t return, or recruits that we really had wrapped up but flipped just before committing.

This is the correct answer. If Meeks had come back for his senior year, Cal might have gotten that 40-0 record in his first year here. We only lost 3 without Meeks. His shooting was the ONE missing piece from that dominant team.
This is the answer.

That team just had an awful shooting night at the worst time. And then WVU just decided to go into ghost pepper mode from beyond the arc.

That game still bothers me a bit. Had we not lost that I think we win it all. If all the bad breaks go our way? Cal has FOUR titles here. (2009, 2012, 2014, 2015) with a perfect season. Making us tied with UCLA and Cal is never compared to anyone else. K leaves Duke with even more of a whimper, and KU is stripped of wins and Self has been indicted for cheating.

C’set la vie….

Last edited:
This is my top choice, too. I loved Dicky Beal & the 84 team, but, have always wished Dirk Minniefield had one more year to run that team & play with both, Turpin & Bowie, together. A healthy Bowie in 83 would’ve made that happen. IMO, it would’ve been the perfectly constructed college basketball team.

Minniefield is, seemingly, one of the more underrated players dating back to the 80s. He had good size for a PG, played great defense &, was extremely quick & athletic. One of the best distributors I’ve seen at UK & he also had a nice chemistry with Bowie. He could shoot well enough to keep defenses honest, too, & beat his man off the dribble & score at the rim.

What a backcourt that was with Jim Master at the 2, who is one of the best shooters to ever play, here. At the 3 we were versatile with Derrick Hord, who was a prototypical college 3, &, could really shoot the ball. I think he avoids his SR year slump if Bowie had played. And, FR Kenny Walker saw plenty of time, there, too, although he was more of a post player.

Turpin & Bowie were absolutely dominant together in the paint. First 3 off the bench would’ve been either Hord or Walker, with Charles Hurt & Beal. That would’ve been a very strong 8 man rotation with the versatility to matchup with anyone & play any style, necessary. Walker was the only underclassman of the bunch, too. Everyone else would’ve played together 3-4 years, at that point. So, it would’ve been a well oiled machine on both ends.

We comfortably handle UL in the E8 & would’ve beaten Houston in the FF, too, IMO. No question in my mind we would’ve absolutely boat raced NCST in the championship game. If Bowie had never been injured, I think Joe B’s legacy is totally different & he wins at least one more championship. Maybe even 2.

Bowie was still able to take over games on both ends in 84, coming off the injuries & the 2 year absence. But, he wasn’t the same player & had lost a lot of mobility & athleticism. A never injured, 100% Bowie was as dominant as AD & is in the HOF, right now, IMO. Not saying Portland wouldn’t have regretted passing on MJ. But, Bowie wouldn’t be a draft day punchline, falsely labeled as one of the biggest draft busts, ever.

Another one that hasn’t been mentioned yet is Antoine Walker. 97 was good enough to win it all, regardless. And, obviously, DA was the missing ingredient. But, if Walker returns for his JR season, we might not have even missed DA much, at all, & would’ve rolled to the championship, IMO

that’s a good one. Him back probably makes our team too much to lose it.

I mean we might have 5 more titles easy if just a few guys came back that were 50/50.

Last edited:
2014 came pretty close to winning, right? What if you bring back Kyle Wiltjer in a slightly bigger role than he had on our 2012 championship team, and not as the guy we tried to play through in 2013? I think that may have been enough to have knocked off UConn.
I'm not sure he would be willing to come off the bench again.

This is the answer.

That team just had an awful shooting night at the worst time. And then WVU just decided to go into ghost pepper mode from beyond the arc.

That game still bothers me a bit. Had we not lost that I think we win it all. If all the bad breaks go our way? Cal has FOUR titles here. (2009, 2012, 3014, 2105) with a perfect season. Making us tied with UCLA and Cal is never compared to anyone else. K leaves Duke with even more of a whimper, and KU is stripped of wins and Self has been indicted for cheating.

C’set la vie….
Damn, you're from deep in the future. You already know UK will lose in 2105 and 3014?
Props!

• Haha
Reactions: kywildcat41086
This is my top choice, too. I loved Dicky Beal & the 84 team, but, have always wished Dirk Minniefield had one more year to run that team & play with both, Turpin & Bowie, together. A healthy Bowie in 83 would’ve made that happen. IMO, it would’ve been the perfectly constructed college basketball team.

Minniefield is, seemingly, one of the more underrated players dating back to the 80s. He had good size for a PG, played great defense &, was extremely quick & athletic. One of the best distributors I’ve seen at UK & he also had a nice chemistry with Bowie. He could shoot well enough to keep defenses honest, too, & beat his man off the dribble & score at the rim.

What a backcourt that was with Jim Master at the 2, who is one of the best shooters to ever play, here. At the 3 we were versatile with Derrick Hord, who was a prototypical college 3, &, could really shoot the ball. I think he avoids his SR year slump if Bowie had played. And, FR Kenny Walker saw plenty of time, there, too, although he was more of a post player.

Turpin & Bowie were absolutely dominant together in the paint. First 3 off the bench would’ve been either Hord or Walker, with Charles Hurt & Beal. That would’ve been a very strong 8 man rotation with the versatility to matchup with anyone & play any style, necessary. Walker was the only underclassman of the bunch, too. Everyone else would’ve played together 3-4 years, at that point. So, it would’ve been a well oiled machine on both ends.

We comfortably handle UL in the E8 & would’ve beaten Houston in the FF, too, IMO. No question in my mind we would’ve absolutely boat raced NCST in the championship game. If Bowie had never been injured, I think Joe B’s legacy is totally different & he wins at least one more championship. Maybe even 2.

Bowie was still able to take over games on both ends in 84, coming off the injuries & the 2 year absence. But, he wasn’t the same player & had lost a lot of mobility & athleticism. A never injured, 100% Bowie was as dominant as AD & is in the HOF, right now, IMO. Not saying Portland wouldn’t have regretted passing on MJ. But, Bowie wouldn’t be a draft day punchline, falsely labeled as one of the biggest draft busts, ever.
Saw the From the Rafters of Rupp with Sam yesterday. An excellent use of your time. Makes you appreciate Sam even more.

I'm taking Marcus Lee as a senior. That team was really missing a shot-blocker and another piece in the frontcourt. He would have definitely filled that void. Even John Higgins wouldn't be able to stop that team.

Reactions: Gromcat
Saw the From the Rafters of Rupp with Sam yesterday. An excellent use of your time. Makes you appreciate Sam even more.

love that he found a home in Lexington and is enjoying himself. He got a bad wrap and was a hell of a player. Great guy too. Always willing to interact with fans wherever he is, and I’ve got so many good auto’s of him from sending him mail. He signs everything and returns it, even puts the signature where you want it and uses the pen type / color you send. I think recently (within the last two years) my kid wanted to send him a poster of blue UK Nike dunks from the 80’s and he signed it big in gold paint pen and sent it back. Looks killer.

I'm taking Marcus Lee as a senior. That team was really missing a shot-blocker and another piece in the frontcourt. He would have definitely filled that void. Even John Higgins wouldn't be able to stop that team.

Not a bad one to go with didn’t consider him.

Let’s do a recruit. I think CJ Leslie was nearly signed on. I wonder if he could have made any difference in the 2011 final four team.

Reactions: Zissou87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT