ADVERTISEMENT

Football What Ole Miss fans are saying...

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Spy on your rival feature unlocks the whole board over there but some snippets to give you a taste of what folks are thinking and saying:

Walsworth94: Mark. It’s over. It’s time to give up the fight and face reality.

ManInTheBox: I enjoy (Stoops') press conferences. He's a hell of a coach. Got screwed out of A&M in my opinion.

KentuckyReb: I really like Stoops and how measured he is.

KentuckyReb: Love the way that coaches and former players/analyst talk about this group and the staff. The staff is starting to get some respect that is well deserved. Heard Cube talk about the “brain trust” in our building yesterday and how it is second to none. Love that we will be mentally prepared and put in a position for success in every game we play in. Loved hearing Mark Stoops talking about our scheme and how we put so much stress on a defense with Dart being so experienced and comfortable in this offense. How the tempo is constantly putting pressure on a defense. How we are committed to the run game. How we play off it with play action and the RPO game. Loved hearing him compliment the speed/size/length of our defense. Pete has us playing pretty sound and really flying around. The speed with which we get to the ball carrier is what pops off the screen at me. We ply with a measured edge on defense and I freaking love it.

I love love love that Tennessee is getting all the press right now. Let’s keep flying under the radar, improving, getting reps, and racking up decisive wins in league play. The longer this team isn’t getting its due from the talking heads the better. The truth is that these two teams are eerily similar and sort of built the same way.

I expect us to kind of whip Kentucky. To me, and I could be wrong, this is a team that we’re built to dominate. We can jump out to a lead and put some stress on their offense. That could lead to them getting out of their plan, something I don’t think theyre comfortable with, and it could get out of hand fairly quickly.

I’m as jacked for a conference opener as I’ve been in a long time.

LFG.

DrBobLoblaw: Once we get through with ‘em, Kentucky will be unburdened by what has been.

baba yaga1: What i've liked seeing is on defense everyone appears to be in the right spot everytime (outside of couple times the Lb didn't go with the RB out of the backfield). Its just so nice knowing that if we get beat, it won't be because of the scheme being trash. The eyes are def in the right place now 🤣

All jokes aside, I’m hoping to see the playbook open up so more. Some more complicated blitz packages. More detailed running schemes. I still think we’ve played somewhat vanilla.

i think as long as they don't hit any big plays with Brown and the other fast WR, they won't score much. Our defense is much better and having a long ball controlled drive vs them doesn't seem likely. They will need to hit some big chunk plays

I expect we’ll try to play on the perimeter and get them going side to side (away from Walker) early. I expect we’ll take vertical shots early. I expect we’ll run right at them as the game goes along. I think Lane will be aggressive early and settle into a more ground heavy attack in the second half. I could just be talking out of my ass though. We’ll see.

kmreb: I think OM handles UK fairly easily, but I do expect Stoops to sit on the ball like he did a couple years ago. OM defense will need several three and outs to counter it.

Political_Commentator: Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think they have the stable of backs they had a couple years ago

ranchreb: You can’t turn the SEC channel on without seeing Tennessee reruns. They are really hyping Tennessee.

ACReb92: They have the Ohio St transfer. Plus a pretty good looking freshman. They’re not horrible. Typical KY running game.

ThePunter 87:
It’s a well oiled machine. Ole Miss will be such a difficult team to beat because it can win in numerous ways.

We can win in a rock fight or track meet. I don’t know how many teams in the country can do either. Maybe Ohio State, Tennessee and Texas?

kmreb:
Stoops was adamant about running the clock last time. We will score, but I think he runs the clock enough that we might not score as much. Think he had a couple drives that were more than six or seven minutes long in that game. Our defense getting three and outs counters it.

lpruittms: Big opportunity Saturday for this offensive line unit to show some resolve. Would be really good to see some running lanes open Saturday

CooperinTupelo:
We are living in some high cotton right now fellas. I'm still doing my best to bask in it as @KentuckyReb reminded us to do last week.
I think we jump on Kentucky early. Stoops is going to do his best to slow the game down, frustrate us by holding on to the ball if he can. I'm not sure they can and if we make them punt a few times early it could get out of hand to the point where Kiffin says lets get out of here and runs clock.
Could be a barn burner just as easily. For some reason we tend to play in games like that with Kentucky.
I just want a win, players get through healthy, get some guys back in their rotations, etc. Anything over and above that is bonus in my opinion.

Jclamar:
The next 3 weeks makes or breaks the ole miss season and will determine media coverage of this team. If ole miss goes 3-0 and beats Kentucky, at sc and lsu, they will be 7-0 and absolutely getting all the coverage they will then deserve.

NathanAT25:
Kentucky has some decent backs. #10 has looked solid thus far. They like to run it a lot which should bode well for us.

#6 is where they wanna throw the ball. He’ll be targeted a lot. When they want a change of pace they’ll try to get the ball out in space to #7 but they don’t like going down field as much to him.

Their offense is pretty straightforward and we should be able to slow down their rushing attack.

901_Reb:
I think it's up to the team and coaches. If they're prepared and execute, I think they'll beat UK in a way that starts to get some attention. UK has played some people tough and Stoops is a solid coach. UK will have a good plan. If we don't move the ball and get some stops, they'll make us pay and we'll be in a rock fight. But I think this team will want to make a statement on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.