ADVERTISEMENT

What NFL offensive system could UK run with the talent we're likely to get?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
1. Shanahan system - seems like several teams run it
2. McVay - tried recruiting OL to play wide zone and we couldn't; several teams use it still
3. Andy Reid - not sure if it's any different from Shanahan
4. John Harbaugh (LJ) - have a smaller, quicker QB who can make midrange throws; not sure if it's an inside or outside zone system; a true RPO
5. Eagles system with a lot of RPO and controlled passing attack; their OL is top notch road graders which we've had in the past
6. Lions system - balanced, both wide and inside zone running game, spread the field in passing game, seem to have a lot of short throws to protect the QB and still pick up good yardage

I don't think we'll have much luck consistently landing the NFL prototype QB or linemen. So, a system that works with who we are able to land recruiting seems to be key. Personally, I think #4-6 would be within our power to achieve. A mobile QB would be key, but we wouldn't necessarily need the 6'-3", 220 lb guy like Lagway. A player like Pavia would fit our scheme and we'd have more opportunities to land a guy like that, imo.

We should honestly go back to the run game. Recruit road graders, speed and power backs. I mean, Stoops has shown he can't do offense. So lets go back to the basics. We could win 10 games again with a really good D.

We should honestly go back to the run game. Recruit road graders, speed and power backs. I mean, Stoops has shown he can't do offense. So lets go back to the basics. We could win 10 games again with a really good D.
So, sounds like Eagles or Ravens would be the closest to your comment. I think I agree. Seems like we can recruit best to that system (or have in the past) and don't necessarily need the 'ideal' NFL QB. Someone who is accurate to 15 yards and is mobile would be great in a system like that, imo. We need to concentrate on winning COLLEGE football games and not so much on running a pro system. NFL pros come from all levels of CFB and all systems.

Reactions: RunninRichie
So, sounds like Eagles or Ravens would be the closest to your comment. I think I agree. Seems like we can recruit best to that system (or have in the past) and don't necessarily need the 'ideal' NFL QB. Someone who is accurate to 15 yards and is mobile would be great in a system like that, imo. We need to concentrate on winning COLLEGE football games and not so much on running a pro system. NFL pros come from all levels of CFB and all systems.
Heavily agree on that last part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT