ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball What Mark Pope said on Sportscenter

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
New Kentucky coach Mark Pope is a busy man, putting together his staff and working the transfer portal to put together a roster.

He took some time away from those responsibilities early Wednesday afternoon to speak with ESPN's Sportscenter. Here are takeaways from what the new Wildcat head coach said.

** Noted more than 20K showed up at Rupp. "It's amazing. I say this all the time, especially recruiting for the last few days...don't know anywhere else you can go, work hard with a team, hang a banner, and then walk back into a gym 30 years later and that's the reception you get. That is unique to BBN and the Kentucky faithful, and it just is an amazing program to be a part of. There's nothing like it."

** The first step is knowing the assignment, Pope says. It's tradition, it's universal, you try to manage expectations. But that doesn't exist at Kentucky. There's one standard and it never changes. If you hang banners you're successful, if you don't you're not. Knowing that going in and embracing it going in.

** On following Calipari, Pope says, "Well there's a saying in coaching ... You never follow John Wooden. So appreciative of everything John Calipari did." Pope said John revolutionized a lot of recruiting and style of play things in CBB. What he did at Kentucky is really incredible and all are grateful for that. Can't wait to move forward and keep chasing these banners.

** Ever-changing sport. Changes are faster and more furious than ever before. At Kentucky it's a nice mix of bringing in some of the most elite talent, guys who play one year in college basketball and go on to extraordinary NBA careers, and other guys who stick around 2-4 years and "grow the program from within". When you get the right mix of that, it leads to championships.

** Last question is about Taylor Swift. "I'm an adopted Swiftie. I have four daughters. Have spent more than my share of midnights with album releases, driving through the streets of town..."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News