ADVERTISEMENT

What kind of legacy does Cal ......

Did you ever hear; Why did the bank never hire Joe B Hall? Because he wouldn't let the guards shoot. How about Tubby then? He got a nice reception here. Was he disliked?
In my lifetime I have only really liked one coach here. Was a teenager during Joe B’s time and was not a huge fan, Eddie wasn’t here long enough and helped us to probation, tubby I was good with for 98, 03, and 04 (or 02, can’t recall), the rest of his time sucked. BG (yeah) and of course cal, started off great and wanted him more than anyone since pitino but he has turned into a massive disappointment and is an arrogant prick on top of not being able to coach simple basketball concepts.

In my lifetime I have only really liked one coach here. Was a teenager during Joe B’s time and was not a huge fan, Eddie wasn’t here long enough and helped us to probation, tubby I was good with for 98, 03, and 04 (or 02, can’t recall), the rest of his time sucked. BG (yeah) and of course cal, started off great and wanted him more than anyone since pitino but he has turned into a massive disappointment and is an arrogant prick on top of not being able to coach simple basketball concepts.
Why no mention of Rick?

Didn’t want to make a new thread so I will ask here. Do we feel this is a one year reprieve or will his seat get hot if he does not kill it next year?

Sounds like you need a history lesson. Even comparing Calipari to the people that you did shows how out of touch with reality you are. You're comparing Cal to the best baseball player of all time and one of the top college basketball coaches in history. Babe Ruth didn’t spend “years with the Boston braves” it was one season in 1935. Just another example of how you have no clue what you’re even talking about.

Rupp won the SEC 9 times in his last 15 seasons. His last 5 seasons he went to the elite eight 3 times. Back then from 1939-1950 only 8 teams made the tournament and it fluctuated from 16-25 teams between 1951 and when Rupp retired. So, imagine how many times Calipari would have missed the tournament if the number of teams were the same now as they were then.lets highlight some seasons in those last 20 years.
54Kentucky25–015–0**T–1stHelms National Champion
1954–55Kentucky23–312–21stNCAA Sweet 16
1955–56Kentucky20–612–22ndNCAA Elite Eight
1956–57Kentucky23–512–21stNCAA University Division Elite Eight
1957–58Kentucky23–612–21stNCAA University Division champion
1958–59Kentucky24–312–2T–2ndNCAA University Division Sweet 16
1959–60Kentucky18–710–43rd
1960–61Kentucky19–911–4**T–2ndNCAA University Division Elite Eight
1961–62Kentucky23–313–1T–1stNCAA University Division Elite Eight
1962–63Kentucky16–98–65th
1963–64Kentucky21–611–31stNCAA University Division Sweet 16
1964–65Kentucky15–1010–65th
1965–66Kentucky27–215–11stNCAA University Division Runner-up
1966–67Kentucky13–138–10T–5th
1967–68Kentucky22–515–31stNCAA University Division Elite Eight
1968–69Kentucky23–516–21stNCAA University Division Sweet 16
1969–70Kentucky26–217–11stNCAA University Division Elite 8
1970–71Kentucky22–616–21stNCAA University Division Sweet 16
1971–72Kentucky21–714–4T–1stElite 8

To pretend that Calipari hasn’t done something that should upset fans shows how biased and just flat out strange you are. 9-16 season, most losses in a row at home in school history, etc. Posts like this are why no one but trolls can even have a conversation with you about sports. Only thing you did in this post that was accurate is give Cal credit for the highlights in his career that I will say he deserves praise for.
He compared 1 title cal with people who have mutiples in their sport. These clowns need to go start a pumper board with their god cal at the top.

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
Legacy? well, since you used that word...

Sparky Anderson lost 104 games in 1989 and was well under .500 the last seven years he managed...He's in the Hall of Fame for the Big Red Machine and then taking Detroit to the 1984 Championship. That's his legacy. No one outside of a few bitter nuts look back at the late 1980s and say, "Sparky? He wasn't so great."

How about Adolph Rupp? His last championship was 15 years before he retired.

No one remembers Babe Ruth for his bloated final years with the Boston Braves. No one remembers the dreck Hemingway wrote after "Old Man in the Sea" or the paper cutouts Matisse messed around with in his last years, or really any of the last 15 or so albums by Miles Davis or anything the Rolling Stones did after Exile on Main Street in 1972 , and on and on.

A legacy is established by what you do at the height of your powers that separates you from the commonplace and that helps define an era; a place and time.

If Calipari doesn't turn things around at Kentucky next year, his legacy will be building Massachusetts from nothing to a Final Four program, taking Memphis to the Final Game, and coming to Kentucky when the program was in shambles and between 2010 and 2019 winning a championship, going to four Final Fours and seven Elite Eights. He'll be remembered as the guy who first recognized the potential in the NBA's new rule making kids wait until they turned 19 to be drafted, and turning that into a great run at Kentucky. Sure, like with Dean Smith and others there will be the shadow over that -- he should have won more championships. But his legacy is secure.

Sorry to disappoint those filled with anger and hatred right now because of the disappointments of the past few years, but his legacy is about as solid as it gets.

I think you are being facetious.

Hilarious stuff.

The national media thinks Cal is a joke.

BBN thinks Cal is a joke.

And the college basketball world in general thinks Cal is a joke.

You reasonably might be one of about 4 or 5,000 people worldwide who believes Calipari's legacy is strong.

It was a good effort on your part, though. I give you credit for trying.

I’m definitely convinced that those who support Calipari to that caliber. Those who pump him up and defend him at all costs… not folks who are like “oh idk. I don’t wanna fire him to hire Drew”. But those we see on this board or in Facebook groups/ social media that not only staunchly defend him but ridicule and look down upon those who don’t like him anymore all have one thing in common. They like and support his political ideology.

Reactions: KFuqua
Cal's legacy will be that he destroyed what was the greatest college basketball program in history. He came to Kentucky won for a few years, won a championship, convinced the athletic director to give him a lifetime contract and then stopped caring about Kentucky basketball and watched it burn down around him.

Reactions: know1 and crestcat
Legacy? well, since you used that word...

Sparky Anderson lost 104 games in 1989 and was well under .500 the last seven years he managed...He's in the Hall of Fame for the Big Red Machine and then taking Detroit to the 1984 Championship. That's his legacy. No one outside of a few bitter nuts look back at the late 1980s and say, "Sparky? He wasn't so great."

How about Adolph Rupp? His last championship was 15 years before he retired.

No one remembers Babe Ruth for his bloated final years with the Boston Braves. No one remembers the dreck Hemingway wrote after "Old Man in the Sea" or the paper cutouts Matisse messed around with in his last years, or really any of the last 15 or so albums by Miles Davis or anything the Rolling Stones did after Exile on Main Street in 1972 , and on and on.

A legacy is established by what you do at the height of your powers that separates you from the commonplace and that helps define an era; a place and time.

If Calipari doesn't turn things around at Kentucky next year, his legacy will be building Massachusetts from nothing to a Final Four program, taking Memphis to the Final Game, and coming to Kentucky when the program was in shambles and between 2010 and 2019 winning a championship, going to four Final Fours and seven Elite Eights. He'll be remembered as the guy who first recognized the potential in the NBA's new rule making kids wait until they turned 19 to be drafted, and turning that into a great run at Kentucky. Sure, like with Dean Smith and others there will be the shadow over that -- he should have won more championships. But his legacy is secure.

Sorry to disappoint those filled with anger and hatred right now because of the disappointments of the past few years, but his legacy is about as solid as it gets.

I won’t just assume Cal Cultist or anything like that as others have done, but would wonder if you are capable of conversation on the topic.

Legacy can have several meanings but one I saw stated “ the long-lasting impact of particular events, actions, etc. that took place in the past, or of a person’s life.”

Elvis, Babe Ruth, sparky Anderson, Adolph Rupp built things that have stood since they created them or are still talked about, revered and loved to this day. Using them as an example in defending Cal is just odd.

What long lasting impact has John Calipari had on any program that is even close to comparable of those 4? Umass…. Went to nothing when he left, Memphis… has not shown they will ever be close to what Cal had. Not to mention that technically he didn’t even take those programs to the final four as you stated. He left both programs in scandals and he will more than likely leave UK in shambles when he leaves.

Cal’s legacy will be NBA draft picks and that’s what he has always wanted it to be. I don’t think it’s even debatable that is what he will be remembered for.

Legacy is not what you were at the top of your game or at the lowest point of a legendary career, it is what you are remembered as, what is that lasting impact.

You want to give examples here are a few others:

Pete rose: all time hit king, what is he remembered for? Betting on baseball

Barry Bonds: all time home run leader, arguably the best baseball player ever, what is he known for? Steroids

Rick pitino: title at UK, great overall career what is he known for? 15 seconds and hookers for his players

If a miracle occurs and Cal gets a second title at Kentucky he will be revered for the rest of time and fans will come back and love him and be happy and the last few years will be looked passed, but in the end the NBA drafts will be what he is known for.

Reactions: crestcat
Cal's legacy will be that he destroyed what was the greatest college basketball program in history. He came to Kentucky won for a few years, won a championship, convinced the athletic director to give him a lifetime contract and then stopped caring about Kentucky basketball and watched it burn down around him.
The edge is gone and you can’t win without it. Off hand can’t think of anyone who has ever lost that edge getting it back

For me, he's the 5th best UK coach we've had. Right in front of the one who got us on probation and the other who was fired as much for off the court issues than on. And if we hadn't been put on probation, he'd be behind that one too.

This is the truth right here. He restored what had been a few year period of being "down", won at a very high level for a few years, and then began a much longer period of decline where the reputation, traditions and legacy of the UK program were eroded away. He had the worst season in modern history and some of the worst tournament losses. Never mind very little success in the postseason for longer now than he was really good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT