ADVERTISEMENT

What kind of legacy does Cal ......

wildcatwelder

All-American
Jul 28, 2006
......really think he's creating for himself? Does he truly want to be considered the "Godfather"of the NBA? I consider that just plain o;ld stupid ; hell, probably 75% of Wildcatsi in the NBA would have gotten there regardless where they played college ball. Does he REALLY think that years down the road pundits are going to be like " Oh, John Calipari, where would the NBA be today if not for him?" Dude needs a reality check.

......really think he's creating for himself? Does he truly want to be considered the "Godfather"of the NBA? I consider that just plain o;ld stupid ; hell, probably 75% of Wildcatsi in the NBA would have gotten there regardless where they played college ball. Does he REALLY think that years down the road pundits are going to be like " Oh, John Calipari, where would the NBA be today if not for him?" Dude needs a reality check.
Sadly ... his legacy is already etched in granite.

Let’s just say he’s hoping for another couple of weather disasters . Seems like he’s bringing that up a lot lately.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Legacy? well, since you used that word...

Sparky Anderson lost 104 games in 1989 and was well under .500 the last seven years he managed...He's in the Hall of Fame for the Big Red Machine and then taking Detroit to the 1984 Championship. That's his legacy. No one outside of a few bitter nuts look back at the late 1980s and say, "Sparky? He wasn't so great."

How about Adolph Rupp? His last championship was 15 years before he retired.

No one remembers Babe Ruth for his bloated final years with the Boston Braves. No one remembers the dreck Hemingway wrote after "Old Man in the Sea" or the paper cutouts Matisse messed around with in his last years, or really any of the last 15 or so albums by Miles Davis or anything the Rolling Stones did after Exile on Main Street in 1972 , and on and on.

A legacy is established by what you do at the height of your powers that separates you from the commonplace and that helps define an era; a place and time.

If Calipari doesn't turn things around at Kentucky next year, his legacy will be building Massachusetts from nothing to a Final Four program, taking Memphis to the Final Game, and coming to Kentucky when the program was in shambles and between 2010 and 2019 winning a championship, going to four Final Fours and seven Elite Eights. He'll be remembered as the guy who first recognized the potential in the NBA's new rule making kids wait until they turned 19 to be drafted, and turning that into a great run at Kentucky. Sure, like with Dean Smith and others there will be the shadow over that -- he should have won more championships. But his legacy is secure.

Sorry to disappoint those filled with anger and hatred right now because of the disappointments of the past few years, but his legacy is about as solid as it gets.

Last edited:
His UK legacy which is all I care about is pretty debateable. In my view his legacy as a UK coach is already tarnished and I put him firmly in line with the likes of Sutton and BG for their time spent here. Saying things like I coach for the name on the back of the jersey and not the front, my main goal is not to win championships, you want to win but then I’m not here to take anyone’s heart, “ what if that was you kid” (as if all the other players don’t have parents/families). All the condescending snide remarks to the fanbase calling everyone basketball Bennie’s, I mean I just can’t stand the guy any longer. I’ve gone from disliking him as a coach to disliking him as a person. After next year he may slide down to the very bottom of the barrel below the other 2. He’s certainly close now.

A grifter

Sparky Anderson lost 104 games in 1989 and was well under .500 the last seven years he managed...He's in the Hall of Fame for the Big Red Machine and then taking Detroit to the 1984 Championship. That's his legacy. No one outside of a few bitter nuts look back at the late 1980s and say, "Sparky? He wasn't so great."

No one remembers Babe Ruth for his bloated final years with the Boston Braves. No one remembers the dreck Hemingway wrote after "Old Man in the Sea" or the paper cutouts Matisse messed around with in his last years, or really any of the last 15 or so albums by Miles Davis or anything the Rolling Stones did after Exile on Main Street in 1972 , and on and on.

A legacy is established by what you do at the height of your powers that separates you from the commonplace and that helps define an era; a place and time.

If Calipari doesn't turn things around at Kentucky next year, his legacy will be building Massachusetts from nothing to a Final Four program, taking Memphis to the Final Game, and coming to Kentucky when the program was in shambles and between 2010 and 2019 winning a championship, going to four Final Fours and seven Elite Eights. He'll be remembered as the guy who first recognized the potential in the NBA's new rule making kids wait until they turned 19 to be drafted, and turning that into a great run at Kentucky. Sure, like with Dean Smith and others there will be the shadow over that -- he should have won more championships. But his legacy is secure.

Sorry to disappoint those filled with anger and hatred right now because of the disappointments of the past few years, but his legacy is about as solid as it gets.

Sounds like you need a history lesson. Even comparing Calipari to the people that you did shows how out of touch with reality you are. You're comparing Cal to the best baseball player of all time and one of the top college basketball coaches in history. Babe Ruth didn’t spend “years with the Boston braves” it was one season in 1935. Just another example of how you have no clue what you’re even talking about.

Rupp won the SEC 9 times in his last 15 seasons. His last 5 seasons he went to the elite eight 3 times. Back then from 1939-1950 only 8 teams made the tournament and it fluctuated from 16-25 teams between 1951 and when Rupp retired. So, imagine how many times Calipari would have missed the tournament if the number of teams were the same now as they were then.lets highlight some seasons in those last 20 years.
54Kentucky25–015–0**T–1stHelms National Champion
1954–55Kentucky23–312–21stNCAA Sweet 16
1955–56Kentucky20–612–22ndNCAA Elite Eight
1956–57Kentucky23–512–21stNCAA University Division Elite Eight
1957–58Kentucky23–612–21stNCAA University Division champion
1958–59Kentucky24–312–2T–2ndNCAA University Division Sweet 16
1959–60Kentucky18–710–43rd
1960–61Kentucky19–911–4**T–2ndNCAA University Division Elite Eight
1961–62Kentucky23–313–1T–1stNCAA University Division Elite Eight
1962–63Kentucky16–98–65th
1963–64Kentucky21–611–31stNCAA University Division Sweet 16
1964–65Kentucky15–1010–65th
1965–66Kentucky27–215–11stNCAA University Division Runner-up
1966–67Kentucky13–138–10T–5th
1967–68Kentucky22–515–31stNCAA University Division Elite Eight
1968–69Kentucky23–516–21stNCAA University Division Sweet 16
1969–70Kentucky26–217–11stNCAA University Division Elite 8
1970–71Kentucky22–616–21stNCAA University Division Sweet 16
1971–72Kentucky21–714–4T–1stElite 8

To pretend that Calipari hasn’t done something that should upset fans shows how biased and just flat out strange you are. 9-16 season, most losses in a row at home in school history, etc. Posts like this are why no one but trolls can even have a conversation with you about sports. Only thing you did in this post that was accurate is give Cal credit for the highlights in his career that I will say he deserves praise for.

Last edited:
Salvaging his legacy is why he should retire.

I know for me - and I suspect there are a lot of others - the realization that he is a good coach passed away a long time ago. But for the college basketball and media in general, that may not have passed. But I think the drama of the past week has really drawn a lot of attention to it.

If he has anything less than a Final Four appearance next year will the entire college basketball world come to this same realization? Is it worth that risk for his legacy?

Wright, Krzyzewski, William, and Boeheim all saw the writing on the wall - get out now while your legacy is still in tact. Calipari can't see that writing and it may already be too late for him anyway.

His UK legacy which is all I care about is pretty debateable. In my view his legacy as a UK coach is already tarnished and I put him firmly in line with the likes of Sutton and BG for their time spent here. Saying things like I coach for the name on the back of the jersey and not the front, my main goal is not to win championships, you want to win but then I’m not here to take anyone’s heart, “ what if that was you kid” (as if all the other players don’t have parents/families). All the condescending snide remarks to the fanbase calling everyone basketball Bennie’s, I mean I just can’t stand the guy any longer. I’ve gone from disliking him as a coach to disliking him as a person. After next year he may slide down to the very bottom of the barrel below the other 2. He’s certainly close now.
Spot on, and I should have clarified in my original post that I'm only speaking/concerned about his UK legacy which, IMHO, he's already ruined. Nothing less than FF next year will remove the tarnish, and with the way our roster is shaping up already, we will be lucky to even get to the NCAA Tournament. He should have left five years ago, our beloved program, as well as Cal, would have benifited greatly with a changing of the guard.

Calipari had a chance to be second to Rupp and he’ll go out just behind Hall and potentially behind Smith if this continues. It’s getting so bad Tubby overall record might edge his final fours out.

I actually said a 3 years back he’s in trouble of not beating Hall’s legacy needless to say only a few didn’t laugh at the idea.

Calipari was not able to mentally handle the money and the power. It’s really that simple, he got lost in his complexes and redefined reality to fit. Calipari didn’t want to work as hard as it takes to be elite but the money had him by the balls. So he redefined the rules and want everyone else to abide.

He’s at war with the boosters, his boss, and the fans because they aren’t playing along. Narcissist.

He doesn’t care about his legacy as far as a winning coach that’s what I feel is missed by so many. He cares about his new role, the Godfather of the NBA athlete. He thinks history will show him as the NBA players coach, and to him that’s better than winning college basketball games. It’s why he’s pushed players out from day one.

The only coach to have 2 final 4’s vacated. lol

He will be remember as a coach who lost the all time lead in wins in CBB. And lost the fans support.
He will be remembered as the only coach in the history of college ball to have two lottery picks sit on the bench at the start of each game as he routinely got down eight points before putting them in. He did it one too many times and they couldn’t dig out of the hole . Idiot . He is an idiot .

Hilarious stuff.

The national media thinks Cal is a joke.

BBN thinks Cal is a joke.

And the college basketball world in general thinks Cal is a joke.

You reasonably might be one of about 4 or 5,000 people worldwide who believes Calipari's legacy is strong.

It was a good effort on your part, though. I give you credit for trying.

Man, talking about a turd that needs to be flushed...

What's up Brad? You back in the Lex yet? Listen, since you're gonna be on the staff next year, tell your old man that there might be some other inbound plays other than "lob pass to a guy 35 feet away from the basket"

He will be remembered as a guy who recruited and assembled some of the most talented rosters and if not for an nba lockout wouldn’t have won a single championship.

NBA, one and done. Even non-Kentucky fans associate him with this, even when he was rolling early on before the wheels came off.

Hilarious stuff.

The national media thinks Cal is a joke.

BBN thinks Cal is a joke.

And the college basketball world in general thinks Cal is a joke.

You reasonably might be one of about 4 or 5,000 people worldwide who believes Calipari's legacy is strong.

It was a good effort on your part, though. I give you credit for trying.
Mitch doesn’t realize what he’s done. I’ve been a fan for a long time and I’m not watching a single game next season. I said that before the interview. I don’t know what they said or did in that interview but I have friends that immediately said they were done after seeing it and they weren’t at that point yet before the interview.

A coach that was elite most of his career. Got older , grew comfortable r. Then saw his team go 9-16 and got shook to his core. Never recovered and career has been spitting since.
Some coaches cam over come that if they can be humble an honest with themselves an adjust/change. Cal is not a humble or a honest man he will flame out in his own stubbornness n drag UK. With him..

We hated Joe B Hall when he coached here. He could have been the Governor in retirement

Joe B was never disliked as much as cal is at the present time. Joe B’s last 3 seasons he won 7 NCAA tournament games. No comparison to the end of Joe B’s time here to Cals.
Did you ever hear; Why did the bank never hire Joe B Hall? Because he wouldn't let the guards shoot. How about Tubby then? He got a nice reception here. Was he disliked?

I really hope he can string 2 E8s back to back together and retires on a decent note to avoid all the negative energy on the Coaching Switch that needs to happen.

But I expect a R32 exit or S16 ceiling and fire and fury again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT