ADVERTISEMENT

What is this supposed "million $ insurance policy" I hear about for potential NBA picks?

FrankUnderwood

All-American
Gold Member
May 26, 2017
Bluegrass State!
I will admit, I am not aware of all the details. Often times I will see some posters/fans etc insinuate that player A for example, can take out a million/multi million $ insurance policy while still in college "just in case" he gets injured?

Anybody have more of a run down of how it actually works? It seems far fetched that a top75 ish guy can just get an insurance policy for a million dollars (or more) just by paying some random premium?

Was trying to find an article but I believe that Robert Williams from aTm took out a pretty large insurance policy before this previous season.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
From my understanding of it, players rarely collect from these policies. They are more prevalent in football, but I assume they work the same in basketball. There is "Total Disability" protection and "Loss of Value" protection.

Total disability is a career ending injury. This policy only pays out if the injury prevents you from ever playing the sport again. A doctor for the insurance company must agree that you can't come back from the injury and that your career is indeed over. You can't just get hurt and decide not to play anymore. The policy also doesn't usually cover pre-existing injuries, meaning if you've broken or torn something before, the policy won't cover you if you break or tear the same thing.

Loss of Value protects the player from dropping in the draft due to injury. It's based off where they are projected to go and provides payment up to a certain amount should the player get injured and drop in the draft. The drop has to be directly associated with an injury and not any other factors. If you break a leg at the end of the season and then get arrested for drug possession, the insurance company will argue the drug arrest had at least some impact on the drop and won't pay as much. Or if you have a bad season and drop in the draft they won't pay as much, or at all, either.

The premiums for high end accounts can be $20,000 or $30,000. I believe schools are allowed to pay for them for their players. I'm sure companies cap how much a player can take out and adjusts their premiums based on the players potential. Weeds out the fringe guys that might be trying to game the system.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I do know that Mariah Carey has an insurance policy on her legs for like 10 million dollars. Maybe 1998 Mariah Carey. 2018 Mariah Carey would be lucky to get 5 million for those.

Yeah, that is probably a true statement...
I'd still smash tho

mariah-carey-at-mr-chow-in-beverly-hills-01-17-2018-11.jpg
(2018)

I remember Anthony Kim who won 3 times on tour and played on 2 Ryder Cup teams had such a policy. He has not played since 2012 and collected on a large policy because of an injury. He wanted to try a comeback, but, would have to give up the money from the policy, so he has stayed retired.

I do know that Mariah Carey has an insurance policy on her legs for like 10 million dollars. Maybe 1998 Mariah Carey. 2018 Mariah Carey would be lucky to get 5 million for those.
So if she cut herself in the shower, can she claim that on her insurance?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT