ADVERTISEMENT

What is the problem with the passing offense as you see it?

Receivers that can't get separation, hold on to the ball and won't go over the middle. Fans that see receivers that are open, from the safety of their seats and not from the view over the oncoming defensive line. An offensive line that has never been good at pass protection but great in run blocking.

Let me see, I think that's about it.
His throws down field when he has time are inaccurate as can be.... 117 yards per game is brutal for any QB!

Last edited:
Georgia and we should be playing a pretty strong team in the bowl game. Being content with two less wins because of the offense, when maybe a little more flexibility on offense could deter that. Stoops keeps saying they are a tight team that doesn't blame each other, picks each other up. The way it should be. But is it fair to the defensive players to carry such a big load IF there is something the coaches can do to make the offense just a little better.

I am ecstatic about what the players and coaches have done so far but that has nothing to do with wondering what they can do to improve the weak points in our offense. Our running game and defense is there to win a lot of games but there is no guarantee that Shurmer won't pass us silly and we may have to score some points or that TN won't play their best game of the year on their home field.
I don't think most of the people on this board want to abandon running the ball in favor of throwing for 300-350yds/gm just for the sake of it. I think what people want is a competent passing game, enough to keep defenses honest. That will only help the running game by not allowing defenses to stack the box.

I mean, if 9-3 is the best UK can do this season by doing things as they are currently doing them and not getting better at anything, that's better than most years for sure. I'd be happy with that. But maybe improving the pass game keeps defenses a little more in-check, opening up the running lanes a bit more, keeping drives going and resting the D a little more.

Who knows, maybe in the end they get another win out of it and go 10-2 instead of 9-3 and get a better bowl game. Why wouldn't someone want that? To just accept things as they are and not want to improve something that could help the product out as a whole, I just don't understand why someone wouldn't want to do that given the opportunity.

We have had virtually no defense since Hal Mumme roamed the sidelines.
The object of the game is to win. Improving the passing game by switching QBs does not come without a cost to the run game. Everybody wishes the passing game was better including the coaches. Fans have to trust that the coaches have weighed all the options and have come to the conclusion that TW gives this team the best chance to be successful and when or if they think that has changed then they will make a change.

I'll ask again...when was the last time that the backup proved to be a better option? Lord knows that especially over the last 10 years many UK fans have been calling for the backup QB. They wanted Morgan Newton over Mike Hartline, Max Smith over Newton, Patrick Towles, Reese Phillips or Max Smith over Jalen Witlow, Reese Phillips or Drew Barker over Patrick Towles. Everyone was happy to see Drew Barker get the job, he gets hurt and Stephen Johnson just isn't good enough...tough as nails but not good enough... Never ever in any of those cases was the backup a better option. The coaches know what they are doing, they know the abilities of the kids on the roster.

Yes, changing QBs might allow us to win some game we would otherwise lose...it could also cause us to lose a game we would otherwise win.

Reactions: The-Hack
The object of the game is to win. Improving the passing game by switching QBs does not come without a cost to the run game. Everybody wishes the passing game was better including the coaches. Fans have to trust that the coaches have weighed all the options and have come to the conclusion that TW gives this team the best chance to be successful and when or if they think that has changed then they will make a change.

I'll ask again...when was the last time that the backup proved to be a better option? Lord knows that especially over the last 10 years many UK fans have been calling for the backup QB. They wanted Morgan Newton over Mike Hartline, Max Smith over Newton, Patrick Towles, Reese Phillips or Max Smith over Jalen Witlow, Reese Phillips or Drew Barker over Patrick Towles. Everyone was happy to see Drew Barker get the job, he gets hurt and Stephen Johnson just isn't good enough...tough as nails but not good enough... Never ever in any of those cases was the backup a better option. The coaches know what they are doing, they know the abilities of the kids on the roster.

Yes, changing QBs might allow us to win some game we would otherwise lose...it could also cause us to lose a game we would otherwise win.

Fair enough. To be clear though, I've never been one to call for TW to be replaced by Hoak. I wouldn't have minded seeing Hoak get an opportunity in the A&M game for a series when it was obvious it was not going to be TW's night. But, the coaches decided not to go that route.

Reactions: Blueaz

I agree with much of your post,with the exception of Max Smith was a better choice than Whitlow(we win the WKU game) and Johnson was a better choice than Barker.

I think the coaches decide who suits what they think the team will be rather than the overall skill package

To the point of the thread,for what ever reason Wilson in the last game did not look like the Wilson of the previous 4.Maybe that is due to TAM and what they did, but we have 2 weeks to work and evaluate things.I don't see him being replaced as the starter but I would expect Hoak to get snaps if we are still seeing the Terry Wilson of the last game

Last edited:
I agree with much of your post,with the exception of Max Smith was a better choice than Whitlow(we win the WKU game) and Johnson was a better choice than Barker.

I think the coaches decide who suits what they think the team will be rather than the overall skill package

To the point of the thread,for what ever reason Wilson in the last game did not look like the Wilson of the previous 4.Maybe that is due to TAM and what they did, but we have 2 weeks to work and evaluate things.I don't see him being replaced as the starter but I would expect Hoak to get snaps if we are still seeing the Terry Wilson of the last game
Max was better when he was healthy which he had a hard time staying that way.

Johnson was better than Barker after Barker's injury. Of course we don't know what we don't know. Was Drew Barker, first half vs So Miss the "real" Drew Barker? THAT Drew Barker was better that SJ.

Problems I see are 1) too many pass plays are slow developing, way down the field and TW hasn't shown he can complete those passes with any kind of consistency, 2) we constantly avoid throwing to the middle of the field.

Possible solutions:
1. Parent the passing game playbook down to 8 plays that TW can perfect.
2. Concentrate on plays that are 1-2-3 out. No more throwing bombs that he hasn't been able to connect
3. We have big WRs and TEs - use them, especially over the middle. Ran two quick passed to CJ in the opening drive and never tried them again. Slants and digs and seam patseam patterns in the middle would insure TW's throws are short and quick.
As you know by now this is pretty much my take as well.

The only thing I'd add is I'd love to see more drag routes from our quick slot guys like Bowden and Bouvier. I just think the one thing most every defense hates is trying to chase fast little guys sideways across the field with LB's and safeties in traffic. Don't need but one foot of separation to sneek a throw in and they can turn into big gains on occasion. I'd make their LB's chase and chase over and over again then bust them with Benny.

Reactions: The-Hack
Multiple great thoughts in this discussion that blows a hole in the " all message board comments are dumb" Obviously when the same EXACT comments are made by multiple poster who obviously know football state the same thing it gives quite a bit of credence to the thread . USE CONRAD MORE .. Duh' Make the passing game quick reads Duh' Roll out Terry and use just a tad of imagination Duh' The entire damn state knows these things but somehow the staff doesnt. Ok roll out the " why don't you coach the team comments " or " we are 5-1 just dont point out the obvious stuff we need to greatly improve on " comments

First of all, let me say a GREAT original post and a lot of GREAT responses! Great work IFerg1969!

The Passing Game has 3 parts (Passing, Protecting and Catching) that are so interconnected it is hard to say one is more important than the other. Or perhaps it is more accurate to say Passing (i.e., the QB) is most important but without Protection and Catching you ain't gonna see much. My comments (many of which have already been noted)…

I would add "route running" to those three, Wildcard. There has been some speculation (not by me, specifically) that route running has not been up to par.

Point is, there are a lot of things that have to go right to make the passing game work -- just like the running game.

#83 is backup TE Rigg who I don't recall being a primary receiver at anytime this year. He's in the game to block. I doubt TW or any other UK QB would be looking for him in that situation. I get what you're saying, I just think any UK QB is wired to look for primary playmakers and that isn't Rigg.

I personally felt that Rigg was more open than Conrad on that 3rd and 2 play in OT. He ran a shallow out play and cut earlier. He has shown that he can catch but he is not nearly targeted as much as Conrad. I would posit that no one was expecting that we would throw the ball to him at such a critical point in the game.

Reactions: mrschwump
We are not using middle of field with consistent 8-12 yard plays to Tight Ends or slants to our Slot. It's like that stuff isn't in the play book. It boggles my mind and the middle has been open so much everyone inching up in box to stop Snell. That is 100 yards a game passing they are leaving on the field and still can be a hit you in mouth rushing team. Hell they could get even more there with CJ or whoever breaking off a big play. I mean I think that is where a big deficiency is. I mean it's a run, wideout bubble or whatever that play is, bomb, or a 3 yard out to CJ. That is our Offense pass playbook? Coached do not utilize all our weapon's and we are 5-1. We have talent to be a top 10 team with wat I have been watching on Saturdays.. If we could bring a C+ offense consistently and get that A- D like we did against A&M . I truly believe only a handful of teams could beat us and we could beat about everyone but Bama if things fall our way. Offense has got to get better passing ball using more of the field. I think that might be reason we might miss out on some of our top offensive recruits we are looking to get. I love this team like crazy but cannot understand why coaches (Stoops and offensive staff) cannot see this. It's like they are in denial. I really think Gran is the weak link. I mean you can add some plays across the middle and still be a smash mouth running offense. We need to get middle of field going in pass game period. Am I wrong? I mean am I seeing something different or and I not seeing something? Offense is just missing. It's like a 550 HORSE POWER BIG BLOCK only hitting on 7 cylinders and still getting 400 horse. SOMEONE tell me what I am seeing or not seeing here please? I love this team but think about how much better the Cats could be if they could just get 200-250 yards passing. I am not saying we need to put up Oklahoma, Mizzou, Wash St etc.. type passing but Damn!. 200-250 a game with 1-2 tuddys in the air a game would be huge and we could run the table to SEC title game. I also think if that could happen we could easily put up 35-40 a game casue Benny would get more Lanes..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT