ADVERTISEMENT

What Interview Criteria Would a New HC Candidate Need To Meet

Random UK Fan

Sophomore
Dec 10, 2018
If you were interviewing them? Be realistic, this is Kentucky football we’re talking; a place where coaches’ careers typically cool off.

For me the very first thing is no more free contract years for 7 win seasons. Move that up to at least 8 regular season wins. Keep it at 4 or 5 years max left on the contract. No more ridiculous raises that make buyouts hard to do. You want ridiculous money you give us ridiculously good results. Like top 10 occasionally and top 25 more than that.

Get us in serious Playoff and SEC Championship Game contention if you want top 10 money. Doesn't mean we expect it every year like Georgia or Alabama. Just get us a realistic shot every 4 or 5 years. Expectations have risen and no more paying above the actual results. I'd throw in huge incentive money though to keep the coaches fired up to win to go with a reasonable contract based on their results.

I’d like to see whoever gets the job be taller than the sideline reporters who ask him questions for once.

This includes women reporters too.

For me the very first thing is no more free contract years for 7 win seasons. Move that up to at least 8 regular season wins. Keep it at 4 or 5 years max left on the contract. No more ridiculous raises that make buyouts hard to do. You want ridiculous money you give us ridiculously good results. Like top 10 occasionally and top 25 more than that.

Get us in serious Playoff and SEC Championship Game contention if you want top 10 money. Doesn't mean we expect it every year like Georgia or Alabama. Just get us a realistic shot every 4 or 5 years. Expectations have risen and no more paying above the actual results. I'd throw in huge incentive money though to keep the coaches fired up to win to go with a reasonable contract based on their results.

I think those are fair. We will save money on never having to pay those incentives.

The 7 win season triggering an additional year was taken off a few years back…it was a terrible idea when he did it.

If you were interviewing them? Be realistic, this is Kentucky football we’re talking; a place where coaches’ careers typically cool off.
I target those with these traits in this order: highly intelligent with diverse interests, good leaders with impeccable character and integrity, articulate and effective communicators, good family man with a strong and supportive wife and family, good listener, strong football knowledge, high energy performer and visionary, committed to setting and achieving goals to put and sustain UK football on a national map. I would use two primary gauges of many different areas to evaluate performance: winning games and recruiting effectiveness. A third category of great importance is our depth chart; do we have good second-, third-, and even fourth-string players? A fourth category would be player retainment and development. A fifth category is winning the games you are supposed to win.

Under Stoops, we have had some signature wins, but have also had some egregious signature losses. Despite some of the very best facilities in all of football, recruiting has been consistently just "plain vanilla" with some victories to go with a lot of misses and dead weight. At the twelve-year mark, we should have this program on consistently strong footing. It is not. Overall, it is an easy question: are you competing favorably in the SEC? If not, you potentially need to make a change and do it quickly and decisively.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT