ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting What I'm hearing about Jarren Williams

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
I've touched base with someone who is connected to UK's end of the process and I can tell you the Cats are optimistic they will be able to keep Jarren Williams in spite of Ohio State's offer. I am not surprised this is their response and I will tell you that even last week, before this offer, I was told that Ohio State was not a concern. In fact, when I spoke with a source last week I ran three schools by them: Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State. The source didn't have much to say about FSU (even though I suspected early in the process that would be UK's biggest competition), they only indicated they thought it would be really unwise to consider Alabama (their depth chart) and straight up said they didn't think Jarren was crazy about the Buckeyes.

I will say that Ohio State people seem like they are fairly confident in the opposite direction, that there has been communication and this was not an impulsive offer. Their take is that if Emory Jones visits Alabama this weekend, that means it's very likely Ohio State will end up flipping Williams. Obviously Kentucky sources disagree or at the very least would hope this is not the case.

I am not 100-percent strong on either opinion. I will say that I would disagree with OSU people saying a flip would be a slam dunk, easy call. Williams wants to be thought of as a pro-style quarterback and Urban Meyer is notorious for running his quarterbacks. On the other hand I don't think it would be wise to discount anything as a possibility. I will tentatively still say that my gut says he sticks with UK through this, but I think Kentucky fans should probably hope that Emory Jones sticks with OSU. Of course in that case you would have to hold your breath and hope Alabama doesn't then make him a priority.

But UK is confident either way. I can tell you that Kentucky has been in contact with Williams this morning and so their confidence is after that communication. For what it's worth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News