ADVERTISEMENT

What if Reed Sheppard stayed 4 years?

Mike-McD

Junior
Aug 3, 2022
Yeah I know, I know, not a chance.

But it's fun to dream once in a while.

What would his life be like? He'd of course make the NBA after his college career, he'd just forego 3 years of income to stay in school.

I'll start things off:

1. He'd never pay for a meal or a drink in Kentucky again.
2. He'd set up neighboring horse farms with Oscar and they'd rule Lexington from actual thrones. Sheppard Stables and Tschiebwe Estates. Can anyone do a photoshop of them on horses wearing cowboy hats?
3. Multiple Naismith Awards.
4. Jamal Mashburn shows him into the secret back room of Huntsman Savile Row where he gets fitted for a special briefcase and suit.

What would his life be like? He'd of course make the NBA after his college career, he'd just forego 3 years of income to stay in school.

I'll start things off:

2. He'd set up neighboring horse farms with Oscar and they'd rule Lexington from actual thrones. Sheppard Stables and Tschiebwe Estates. Can anyone do a photoshop of them on horses wearing cowboy hats?
4. Jamal Mashburn shows him into the secret back room of Huntsman Savile Row where he gets fitted for a special briefcase and suit.
I don't think he'll be a 1 and done. I'm guessing its 50/50 after 2 years. He's certainly gone after 3. He could chase the money after this year but my guess is Stacey and Jeff will want him to mature a bit more even though he's already a very mature young man.

I'll start things off:

Probably already achieved your #1. Would end up #1 on uk’s all time steals leader for certain and would probably overtake issel for all time leading scorer. Would be most uk fans favorite player of all time.

Already projecting first round. I would love to get a second year Reed, but at this point I’m just mentally accepting it is unlikely to happen.

If he’s guaranteed first round he should go. Hope he sticks around tho, would make for a helluva story and he would be a legend.

Reactions: Zissou87
There is a scenario where Shep says "Money isn't the issue and the NBA will be there waiting", and maybe you get another year or two out of him. The good thing about his game is that it's NOT built on athleticism which can be ripped from a player with just one injury. His game will work in the NBA when hes 19 or when he's 34.

Shep's NBA opportunity likely won't be affected by playing another year of college.. unlike say, a Greg Oden or an Anthony Davis.

Find a way to still make it lucrative for him to play here, He should be getting at LEAST $1 million a year. Beause he will make every team better. He will carry the young teams in the early going, and make the smart heady plays that wins games in March.

There is a scenario where Shep says "Money isn't the issue and the NBA will be there waiting", and maybe you get another year or two out of him. The good thing about his game is that it's NOT built on athleticism which can be ripped from a player with just one injury. His game will work in the NBA when hes 19 or when he's 34.

Shep's NBA opportunity likely won't be affected by playing another year of college.. unlike say, a Greg Oden or an Anthony Davis.

Find a way to still make it lucrative for him to play here, He should be getting at LEAST $1 million a year. Beause he will make every team better. He will carry the young teams in the early going, and make the smart heady plays that wins games in March.

I'd pay him 5 million a year. He's worth that much IMO.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I'd pay him 5 million a year. He's worth that much IMO.

That's the question, right? What is Sheppard as a sophomore worth to not only UK, but to local businesses? How much more merchandise does Kentucky sell is Sheppard gets a Final4 this year and next? What do those final 4's do for Kentucky's future recruiting and ability to stay relevant?

I'd like to think Shep is worth at least a few million. Him being not only a great player, but ALSO from Kentucky, with who his father is..

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

I'll start things off:

I would be one of the happiest fans in Ky if that happened !!

Honestly I can’t see his parents encouraging him to leave after just one year. Jeff played for the Hawks for a little while he knows what that life is like. You know both his parents want him to get a degree so I could see him staying three years hopefully not four though

Honestly I can’t see his parents encouraging him to leave after just one year. Jeff played for the Hawks for a little while he knows what that life is like. You know both his parents want him to get a degree so I could see him staying three years hopefully not four though
Absolutely agree, Reed has the skills he has because of Mom and Dad. He also has the common sense he has because of mom and dad. They are more interested in a well rounded education and being happy in life. It's called parenting, AKA Love. There should more like them.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
If he stayed 4 yrs, and was always the 6th man, would the same people who say, “it doesn’t matter who starts”, still say that?😭😭😭

Imagine Kentucky fans.
Actually supporting their team
Nothing to bitch and moan for,
No ugly people too

You may say I’m a dreamer.
I know all the Bennie’s do
Maybe one day you’ll join us,
And stop slinging poo.

Apologies to John Lennon

Last edited:
If he’s guaranteed first round he should go.
Why?

He's not some poor kid that need to support his family.

If he's not a lottery pick he'd make as much or more in NIL at UK than he would in the league.

If he was anything like most of us, he spent more time dreaming of being a Wildcat than being in the league.

Why?

If he's not a lottery pick he'd make as much or more in NIL at UK than he would in the league.

If he was anything like most of us, he spent more time dreaming of being a Wildcat than being in the league.
When’s the last time you walked away from 7 figures? At 19.

Who's walking away from 7 figures? Did you skip over the NIL comment entirely?

He'll make as much or maybe more here.
Really? How many 7 figure Nils you think KY can afford? Maybe all those 5 stars will give up millions to bask in the big blue with Reed

Naw.

Why?

I’m not gonna go look it up, but fairly certain first round pick is guaranteed $2-4m contract. Reed isn’t making that much NIL. Prolly not even close. Also, the sooner you get the first nba contract you are closer to the second which is the big big bucks.

Generational wealth (which the second contract brings) has no bearing on what Reed’s current family money situation may be. You strive for that regardless.

Look, I would love to be wrong and for the kid to stay. Just saying if he’s guaranteed first round, I am assuming he’s gone. How many guaranteed first round kids have stayed another year? A few, but the vast vast majority leave. I for one won’t begrudge the kid for taking his shot. KY kid or not, his ultimate goal is the nba and the quicker he can get there is what I assume he wants.

Again, would be thrilled to be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT