ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Towns' outside shot?

EvilMD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2003
I really thought it was going to be one of our most reliable weapons on offense this year. Didn't he challenge Wiltjer's record in practice earlier in the season?

If he can start hitting one or two a game, imagine the possibilities. Hell, even Harrell made two of them last night.

Towns was Shooting mid range when he challenged his record. But I'm sure he can still shoot, his shot didn't go anywhere just more effective in the paint.

Towns is also leading the team in goal tending.

I'm kidding of course, but is that stat tracked anywhere?

I mean, he's only attempted 5 threes. Making one of them, and one of those 3 attempts were a last second heave before a shot clock violation.

He's not being in position to make perimeter shots. Cal is keeping him in the paint + not running any Pick-n-Pops for him.

I believe if Cal actually ran plays for him to get perimeter shots, we'd see the shooting skill that was advertised.

Originally posted by dbrice3:

Yeah, he seems to have Daniel Orton-itis. Karl seems to be having trouble understanding what is and isn't goaltending.

Perhaps Cal will start to use him more with attacking the zone by positioning him in the middle (at the foul line) to take the open look. That's a shot often available in a sagging zone. If KAT can hit that on a consistent basis, it creates a big problem for teams who desire to zone us all game.
I, too, thought he was known more for being a stretch 4 coming out of HS. But, when you are 7'0" tall you better demonstrate you can rebound and bang if you want to make it to the next level. Cal has done a good job of showcasing that he can be a legit defender and rebounder in the paint. Perhaps, after Camp Cal we will get to see some more of his perimeter shot-making skills on display.

Originally posted by dbrice3:

I seem to recall the goal tending rule in international rules is not as rigid as it is in the NCAA. Maybe his experience with the Dominican's international team has resulted in more agressive rim protection. I would also like to see him swat some of those blocks so that he or his teammates could come up with the ball. Though I have to admit watching the ball get swatted into the stands looks intimidating to the opposing team!

I don't mind the goaltending. It's part of our intimidation factor. Anyone recall Patrick Ewing blocking shots back in the mid-80s. Dude goaltended all the time.

That's the new tweak, pull KAT out so the guards can drive or dish for the KAT perimeter shot.

Maybe, I dunno.

Cal is getting other parts of his game ready for nba. inside game needs lot of work everyone knows he is capable outside.

Cal likes dunks and tip ins. Very high percentage (major insight).

The idea of putting him (or Towns )at the foul line when facing zones is a winning one. I will be shocked if we don't see that when the SEC teams start zoning.

I would imagine his mid range game is pretty decent and would love to see him put in a position to take that shot. Lyles is almost automatic and If towns could shoot at 55-60% clip from 12-15 feet that would make guarding UK even that much more tough. Have not seen much of a post game from him to this point so I would hope we would play to his strength's more in games as opposed to not.

Of course AD improved tremendously from the post as the year went on so this could also be the case for KAT. Whatever the case we are a better team with him on the floor no matter his positioning.

I don't want him to live outside, but if he can go out there a couple of times a game and swish it, he'll start spreading the defense, making things much easier on Andrew Harrison.

Originally posted by throatpoker:
Clearly cal has asked him to be a man and stay under the rim
+1 UK needs Towns down low mixing it up, not on the perimeter jacking 3s.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with his jumper. AD was in a similar situation when playing at UK. Tremendous skills away from the basket but just wasn't his role at the college level.

He has been hitting the weights pretty hard, and that is good, since he will have to bang with some big, strong guys in the league, but, it may have bulked him up a little to where it has affected his stroke. He will get it back, he will just have to adjust to it. I would rather have him strong and have 4 ft less range.

It's the same as Davis, and cousins before him. They both shot from 3 in high school but never did at uk. Why would they? Lol
I remember walking in for the blue white game and cousins making 3 straight jump shots from about 10 feet inside half court. I thought to myself, Jesus christ.
Cal is one for simple basketball. My guy is bigger n better and he will get a lay up

I agree with Uk74. K.A.T can definitely shoot the ball and is known for playing more on the perimeter. The knock on him was that he was not a strong post player and could be pushed around by good big men. Cal is making him stay in the paint and it has paid off so far because he has gotten better. When he gets to the next level and fills out his frame I think he will be an AllStar.

The difference between Cousins, Davis and Towns is that Cousins and Davis didn't have Willie Cauley Stein manning the inside.

I agree that he needs to spend the majority of his time beating and banging inside. I just think it never hurts to have one more three point threat, and if it's a big it opens up all kinds of things for other players.

He's now 2/6 from 3. It is way too small a sample size to judge. I remember he shot a lot more from 3 in the Bahamas and was not hitting that well though.

Originally posted by cats2010:

I would imagine his mid range game is pretty decent and would love to see him put in a position to take that shot. Lyles is almost automatic and If towns could shoot at 55-60% clip from 12-15 feet that would make guarding UK even that much more tough. Have not seen much of a post game from him to this point so I would hope we would play to his strength's more in games as opposed to not.

Of course AD improved tremendously from the post as the year went on so this could also be the case for KAT. Whatever the case we are a better team with him on the floor no matter his positioning.
Agreed but he won't hit near 55-60%. Not a direct comparison, but players like Nash and Dirk hit like 48% on 15+ foot jumpers (not including 3s). I would settle for even 40%.

I wonder what Woo shot from near the foul line; I always felt that he was pretty decent from there and a bit underutilized.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT