ADVERTISEMENT

Football What Florida fans are saying

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Reminder you can get "spy on your rival" and see a lot of msg board stuff from across the network....

Be patient. First game success against a over ranked Utah team (IMO) doesn’t mean we are back and mistakes really made the difference last night.

Hopefully that crazy talk of AR leaving for the draft after this year will slow up tremendously.

Will Kentucky be 10-0 facing UGA?

They have a solid Stoops D... an NFL 1st round QB... and they get their best RB back from suspension soon.

They have experienced players and coaching stability... so they all have familiarity with the system.

Look at their schedule.

Their western opponents are Ole Miss and Miss state.

Yet we lost by 12 after GIVING THEM 14 points.

This loss hurts our excitement... but it wasn't anything at all like losing to App State or Marshall or Ga Southern.

Kentucky is solid. We are not yet.

Think they'll lose to UTjr as they usually seem to do.

…um that 1st rd NFL QB was 13-24 for 200 a pick and a touch. He doesn’t look the part of of 1st rounder..

No, Kentucky will end 7-4

Kentucky ran the same defense against Emory last year

Kentucky ran the same zone scheme they ran vs Emory last season. If AR can’t read a zone and have confidence to pass in lanes, we are gonna be in for a tough season. They kept guys in the box all night to keep AR from using his legs. Unfortunately, AR couldn’t hit the lanes and pass us out of it. I don’t think we forced their defense to respect AR ability to run early in the game. He isn’t Kyle Trask, you can’t run this offense through his arm.

Agree. I was under the impression he could handle the zone. He’s always had accuracy issues and that really showed tonight.

Excellent scheme and tackling by them.

The drops early on hurt AR’s confidence and his accuracy got worse. And we lack the “UF” talent that used to burn UK when we played them….lack of WR or TE that could go the distance. OL couldn’t get the running game going.

I knew this could be a loss. Solid UK team with an excellent QB….letdown for us and we aren’t that good. Surprised AR struggled so much.

Man that UK LB could fly and their DL was in AR’s face. UK has better talent on D than UF. Clearly better talent at WR too and TE. Our last staff was just garbage.

Stoops has built a workman like program. Impressive…

2 and 7 averaged 6.75 yards a carry. Why not feed them. 35 pass attempts! Featuring Wright and fraziers with the game on the line.

Reminded this program was 6-10 the last 16 games before this season. Going to take time.

Jason, we are more talented IMHO than UK. Stoops out coached Napier tonight, hopefully BN will take this whipping and learn big time lessons from it. We really looked like a Mullen coached team on offense tonight, that is scary.

AR was inaccurate. We all agree and while that is true, it can also be true that the calls/non-calls listed above were both ridiculous and very critical to the game. If it were up to the field crew we would have also been given the “targeting” call and had Boone ejected.

Second week in a row that blatant calls were missed or enforced erroneously on us. The Dean call was flat out embarrassing and if that truly was RTP, then they missed one early against AR where the UK player dove at his knees as he threw the ball.

I genuinely can’t think of a single big call that went our way yesterday. The refs bent over backwards to defend Levis but allowed AR to constantly get hit late and low.

Losing sucks. I think we can all admit that. No one wants to lose, ever.. This type of performance from AR & the offense would line up with the famous Nick Saban rant about "rat poison." We won last week on the back of AR and his explosive play ability. We got a lofty 12th ranking based on the respect the media has for Utah. AR was getting increased NIL valuations. He was getting compared to Vince Young & Cam Newton. Are we surprised the offense came out a little flat? Maybe the "rat poison" was too much. Kentucky is too good of a football team and too well coached to show up with preparing to your fullest ability every week....

Maybe I'm wrong but I think out offensive scheme played right into the strength of Kentucky defensive scheme.

The good news out of all this is, we got exposed early and now we can try and install/make adjustments. We got a weaker USF team this weekend and can get prepared to take on the chunk of the SEC. More good news is the Swamp has been electric and our staff is built to recruit. Their is opportunity all of the field for this high profile recruits to come in and make an impact early. We need to have patience in year one and remember "Good things take time." Let's see how Billy, the staff and his players respond moving forward. Go Gators!!

On a side note, is it that teams just play that clean against us that they get no penalties??? Utah had 3 and UK had 1…..ONE flag on UK, crazy.

Good thoughts, for sure. My biggest concern is the lack of talent at the wideout position. We are AWFUL at that spot.

EDIT: Your comment on penalties is interesting. I looked and Utah had 9 penalties last night in a 73-7 blowout win. UK had 4 against Miami of Ohio last week.

I think Napier’s plan was sound, to a degree. It was pretty obvious Kentucky watched the Utah tape and saw what we did well and didn’t do well. The thing we did well was run the ball and present AR as a dangerous option. We also threw the ball with some success against Utah. I think Kentucky decided to concentrate on stopping the run and take their chances against the passing game. Tape of prior games with AR showed he was still a raw talent so my guess is Kentucky said let’s live or die by making AR pass.

Unfortunately, AR wasn’t sharp in the passing game. Kentucky had a spy on AR all night and likely limited his perceived opportunities to run the ball. When we did try to run the ball, they were stacked, to some degree, in the box.

So, I think Napier had the right idea at the start in trying to exploit Kentucky’s pass defense....

Anyway, I give credit to Kentucky for creating a good defensive scheme. I believe if we had executed better we should have won, obviously. But we didn’t and Kentucky has become a solid top 25 team and you can’t keep making mistakes like the kind we made last night against them and expect to win.

One lost and I told you so fans are back at it again. You’ll all set yourselves up for this. UF won one game that they should have loss last week. They were crowned and ready for whatever. The Gators just got a dose of reality. I was at the game sitting in the south end zone. When Kentucky entered the stadium, I said to myself, “they have some dudes !” They played like that afterwards. UK have their process in place and it’s working for them. Levis made some good plays. That bomb was sick, but I thought the ball tough the ground. AR was a different dude tonight, he just didn’t have it. I’ll give it to him, it was only 2nd or 3rd start. The team needs more Jimmy and Joe’s before things get better.

the country crowned a quarterback last week who only proved he could run in the open field. Tonight we were reminded his accuracy is suspect and furthermore when things start going the wrong way he tightens up....reality check... it was fun for a week though lol

It’s funny bc people say record predictions at the beginning of the year (7-5, 8-4, 9-3, etc.) and say specific teams we could lose to (Utah, UK, Tennessee, UGA, etc.) and then turn on the coach when THEIR OWN predictions happen lol… Billy will get 3 years regardless (hopefully a lot more if our idiot fanbase is patient), no need to overreact about anything right now. Lots of building this program still needs to go through

Honestly thought our team outplayed theirs with the exception of the QB position. Our OL did well controlling the LOS. I thought our DL was really good too. Difference was AR played a really bad game. Levis made some nice plays (incompletion that was called a TD being one of them) that made the difference. Our WR room is in rough shape. The safety room lacks talent with the experienced guys and lacks experience with the talented guys. Oh and our LBs can’t cover anyone. TEs are eating our safeties and LBs alive.

Probably the worst down the stretch game I have ever saw a coach call. I honestly didn't think that was possible ever from what muschamp did vs Georgia southern. I'm at a loss .

Reality is I’m glad fall golf is so nice in my area. Stoops is a damn good coach. We are still in a major transition.

I actually thought our defense showed real progress today. But our offense line got pushed around badly and our skill positions are much worse than UKs. In other words AR doesn’t have much help. He showed he cannot overcome this.

Its just amazing how we had a unicorn of a TE just a few short years ago with Pitts and a solid 2 with Gamble to now having an almost non existent room while they were talking about how deep kentucky and georgias te rooms are. We need talent asap

We’ll see how it works out long-term but even Kirby lost to Vandy and Georgia Tech at home in first season. It didn’t detract from his recruiting. We’ll see if Napier is the same. Signing elite talent is all that matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News