ADVERTISEMENT

What Bowl Now?

kentuckykowboy8

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2009
Ft Worth, TX
This DEF improves the bowl game we will be going to. What bowl does it look like we will be heading to? Personally, would love to see the Texas bowl or Mayo bowl.

We haven't been to the Reliaquest bowl (formerly Outback) in forever. We've also never been to the Texas bowl.

“Like every bowl week, there’s always a lot of moving parts,” Danny Morrison, executive director of the Charlotte Sports Foundation, which operates the Duke’s Mayo Bowl, told the Herald-Leader this week. “It never fails that there’s some kind of pivoting and movement within the different scenarios that are presented. “But, let me just say this about Kentucky: We loved having Kentucky here in 2019. Great crowd, great experience. An excellent game. So, we’d be thrilled with Kentucky if it works out that way.”

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...-football/article282462348.html#storylink=cpy

We haven't been to the Reliaquest bowl (formerly Outback) in forever. We've also never been to the Texas bowl.
I hate that we've missed out on the Outback/Reliaquest bowl. I have family down there so free room and board to go to that game. The Texas Bowl is usually reserved for an SEC West team. It doesn't have to be Missouri and Vandy played in it in 2017 & 2018, but outside of them it's typically been an SEC West team since they aligned with the SEC.

Reactions: podgejeff_
FWIW, Duke has only played in the Charlotte bowl once, and Miami has never played in that bowl, which would be attractive to the bowl, I would think

It doesn't have to be Missouri and Vandy played in it in 2017 & 2018
Yes, but Mizzou is really a “western” team. Their tourists are as likely to hit Texas for the beach in winter as they are Florida.

I would do Texas Bowl, but it would be a tougher drive than Mayo.

we have to stop thinking of the music city bowl as a lower tier bowl. it is now one of the top bowls for the SEC. it is just behind the new year day bowls. I know, we want a warn weather place to play. will we think better of it when it is in a dome?

we have to stop thinking of the music city bowl as a lower tier bowl. it is now one of the top bowls for the SEC. it is just behind the new year day bowls. I know, we want a warn weather place to play. will we think better of it when it is in a dome?
I think it's more because we have played in bowl games 14 times since the Music City Bowl was introduced and 6 of those games have been the Music City Bowl.

It's pretty hard to change perception of a bowl game simply cause a marketing gimmick now says it's important.

Yes, but Mizzou is really a “western” team. Their tourists are as likely to hit Texas for the beach in winter as they are Florida.

Made reservations for Mayo.

I really hope the Missoura fans don’t get in the gulf whata in December cause it’s freezin’ hack 🥶🍺

Reactions: The-Hack
It's pretty hard to change perception of a bowl game simply cause a marketing gimmick now says it's important.
Payout of non New Years day bowls with SEC tie-in.

Citrus 8,224,578

Reliaquest (Outback) 6,400,000
Texas 6,400,000
Music City 5,700,000
Gator 5,350,000
Mayo 4,780,461
Liberty 4,700,000
Las Vegas 2,900,000
Birmingham 1,374,545
Gasparillas 1,125,000

Yet, the Gator Bowl is perceived as better than Texas or Music City.

Reactions: grevey35
Payout of non New Years day bowls with SEC tie-in.

Citrus 8,224,578

Reliaquest (Outback) 6,400,000
Texas 6,400,000
Music City 5,700,000
Gator 5,350,000
Mayo 4,780,461
Liberty 4,700,000
Las Vegas 2,900,000
Birmingham 1,374,545
Gasparillas 1,125,000

Yet, the Gator Bowl is perceived as better than Texas or Music City.
And it used to be farther down the payoff list.

But with a 70 year history and in the state of Florida when most SEC fans like to be there . . . yeah, I would take a Mayo bath to swap,

I get it. It's just that having lived in Kentucky for many years and like to see them do well, I just know it's a monotonous thing of the same bowl, same setting, a 7-5 season and a mediocre opponent from the ACC or Big Ten. That's something to be excited about when you're not going to bowl games but now that's not the case anymore with UK. They've done it so many times that it no longer has any specialty attached to it so I think it's totally understandable to desire a different bowl and want a different conference to play.
Agree, there are 5 SEC teams without a bowl this year 4 of which were in bowls last year. At least UK ain't one of them.

Music City Bowl is a great experience but Charlotte was good as well. Any of the opponents mentioned are fine. Closing out with a Bowl win and a win over U of L is a nice way to end 2023. I really like bowls and competing through December. Easily driveable as well.

Music City Bowl is a great experience but Charlotte was good as well. Any of the opponents mentioned are fine. Closing out with a Bowl win and a win over U of L is a nice way to end 2023. I really like bowls and competing through December. Easily driveable as well.
Always prefer FL bowls, late Dec weather in Nashville/Charlotte grid can be iffy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT