ADVERTISEMENT

What are your favorite Kentucky bands?

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
Cage the Elephant (from Bowling Green) is one of the first that comes to mind. They had a new album release, Neon Pill, in May. I haven't heard it yet but it got good reviews.

The Vibrolas have been around forever, and they're awesome. I've seen them three or four times over the years. They're all really nice, cool people. :)

Witness the Reckoning was a death metal band from Somerset. They were pretty popular (active from 2005 to 2012, they released one album), but unfortunately they're not together any more (amicable split-up, they're all still BFFs, it was all just too stressful for 'em).

The Hookers
are from Louisville (Chris Hosner from The Vibrolas used to be in the band):

And Owensboro gifted us the awesomeness of Nine Pound Hammer:

So who are your favorites? =)

Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
Gravel Switch, Hard rock from around the Somerset area I think.

Caught them live a couple of times. They are great.

Reactions: J_Dee
Not a big My Morning Jacket guy but someone mentioned them and it made me think of this performance, which to me, is one of the best talk show performances I've ever seen. They were just coming up and there were slight rumblings locally about some band from Kentucky who was starting to rise. I was watching Conan that night and when he said, "from Louisville, Kentucky...", I thought, "wtf?" Conan seems like a genuine guy and you can tell he was really impressed with the band after this. So again, not a favorite by any means, but gd I love this particular performance:

Tim Krekel and the Groovebillys. Not sure if the entire band were Kentucky natives but Tim sure was.

One Kentucky band I never cared for was Exile out of Richmond. They had one big hit, Kiss You All over. Didn't like it.

One Kentucky band I never cared for was Exile out of Richmond. They had one big hit, Kiss You All over. Didn't like it.
They had a few moderate hits on the country charts but yeah Kiss You All Over is their proverbial signature song. I like the song ok but nowhere an all time favorite.

Reactions: UK82
Isn’t My Morning Jacket from Shelbyville? Wouldn’t say they’re a favorite, but they do have a couple songs I enjoy.

I’ve seen them in concert a few times from 04-11 and they were always awesome. Their shows in Louisville were always a big spectacle.

I think I had about every album of theirs and some vinyl. So yeah pretty big fan. Jim James kind of does his own thing now.

Two of 'em were born and raised in Kentucky, so I'd say yes.

Kevin Richardson worked in tobacco, so he could probably empathize with the Farm Work thread here. =D
Had an aunt married to Kevin’s uncle, definitely a tobacco family. Several musicians in the family as well.

Isn’t My Morning Jacket from Shelbyville? Wouldn’t say they’re a favorite, but they do have a couple songs I enjoy.

Their wiki page says that most of their original line-up was from Shelbyville. Jim James is from Louisville, graduated from St. X (boo!), and even went to UK for awhile. Some of their current line-up is from all over. Including Lakewood, Ohio -- birthplace of everyone's favorite actress Teri Garr.

Wasn't there a hard rock band from a few years ago called Flaw? Seems to me they were from Louisville and had a moderate hit called "Whole".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT