ADVERTISEMENT

What are you listening to?

LOL - that's my strategy as well. Blast the music, and hope the dogs can't hear through it. It'll have to be hip-hop, my dogs hate jazz.

Reactions: Mossip
Bill Withers greatest hits.

There are some vidoes of live performances floating around on social media that isolates only vocals. They have some of withers, Marvin gaye, and others. Its jaw dropping how incredible these older artists sound with no editing, auto tune, etc.

They dont make em like that anymore. At least its a rare occurrence when they do.

Whos the last truly jaw dropping vocalist? Chris Cornell?

How do you discover/browse current music? What genres are you most interested in? There is always tons of vocal talent out there. If you want to just talk basic pop music, here are a couple off the top of my head:

James Blake, Bon Iver, John Legend, Bruno Mars, Adele, NORAH JONES, LEON BRIDGES etc. etc.

One guy I've been really enjoying is Geese. Their lead singer, Cameron Winter, is a powerhouse.

Last edited:
Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
The guitar in this track is totally in my lane. Really dig it.
Delachute is a very interesting dude. From an article:

Delachute’s hypnotic, enigmatic lullabies are based on bewitching rhythms that captivate the listener, with coiled guitars, and the falsetto voice of a singer who loves layering sounds. His sound is a mixture of bluesy despair (he’s a dedicated John Lee Hooker fan), synthetic textures, and strangely lecherous grooves that sound a little like a dance of death.

As for his lyrics, they’re borrowed from the horror stories that the artist has heard in the courtroom, including testimony from killers – who often spoke about love, despite the fact that their stories had nothing at all to do with it. “Songwriting truly helped me when I couldn’t fall asleep at night because I was thinking about everything those victims had gone through, and about those guys describing their murders,” says Delachute. “Those were surreal days, really.”

Reactions: It'saDoneDeal

These two guys (and Javier Sanchez) seem to me to be the best of the contemporary guitarists influenced by Django Reinhardt. But that's a huge number of guitarists and I could easily have missed dozens or hundreds of talents.

Nostalgic, somewhat ethereal, I dig:

You know, *scrunches glasses up bridge of my nose* aaactually:

Other get your early weekend on chilling:

• Love
Whenever "the GOAT drummer" debate comes up, and the usual suspects start getting named (Bonham, Peart, buddy Rich etc.), I chuckle and play Rufus Jones, and that essentially ends the discussion. Greatest left hand in history, custom made and passed down from God himself. LOL

Last edited:
I don't know enough about drumming to debate that in good faith, but I've always been in awe of Dana Carey.

Tim "Herb" Alexander from Primus is phenomenal as well. Blink 182 is not in everyones wheelhouse but Travis Barker can bang the sticks pretty good. This video of Carey is mesmerizing. Not called the Octopus for nothing. Damn I wish I could play drums.

Right after watching it, the algorithm nailed it and played this video. It's Mike Portnoy attempting to learn the song as quick as possible 😅😅

That algorithm got me a few weeks ago. Interestingly enough, another member of Dream Theater (their keyboardist Jordan Rudess) listening to Jay Z's "Empire State of Mind" with Alicia Key's piano removed, and then improvising on the spot different ways he imagines it would sound like that. Really impressive and fascinating.

This is one of those songs that makes you drop what you're doing and sit the f down. I especially like the comment on Youtube of "I can feel my brain oozing out of my ears."

Another song I came across today that has blown me away. Can I tell how much I love finding new music?

It’s amazing how much material he put out before dying at such a young age. My favorite soul singer.
Yes. He put out so much and looked so mature that it's genuinely surprising that he was only 26. He called Aretha a little girl, and she was all of around 6 months younger than he was.

Reactions: Jeff Drummond
Indirect listening. Our Fire was listening to us watch "My Life is Murder." (An Australian crime show starring Lucy Lawless.) The lead character is named Alexa, and the Fire keeps talking to us whenever someone on the TV says her name.

I’ve been listening to the new Eminem album. It’s a concept album and is best listened to all the way the through from the beginning. Here’s a couple highlights:

Lucifer (produced by Dr. Dre)

Antichrist

Guilty Conscience 2

Somebody Save Me ft. Jelly Roll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT