ADVERTISEMENT

What about the 2-3 Zone today???

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
I was surprised to see Cal use that today against a sub-par SC team.

Thoughts on why we saw it.

Mainly to confuse South Carolina. I think we were getting out hustled on the defensive glass by those big Ukraine looking guys. It is easier to get rebounds if you are in a zone defense IMO.

It was effective and really threw USC off. If not for Aaron Harrison foul they would have had a shot clock violation.

They can't shoot so why not try it just for a bit of practice. Still it was a poor choice imo in the 2nd half since USC was struggling against the man and we hadn't pulled away. We did get right back out of it after the made 3. No harm , no foul.

I thought the zone looked great, it passed the eye test. With their length, they can really disrupt the passing lanes as well.

He has it just to mix things up. Clearly it is not as effective as our man to man defense is.

Originally posted by JohnBlue_:
Don't know how you people say it looked great when the other team scored on it 100% of the time.
Easy, because you could see it work. It's no different than when you see a good offensive play, but the shot it missed; that doesn't make it a bad offensive set. The foul on Aaron was not a smart one, because the zone already was forcing a desperation shot. It was good defense on that possession, plain and simple.

This post was edited on 1/24 3:07 PM by Raroyder

fouled on one trip, wide open three on the other.

were there any possessions where it kept them from scoring.

Originally posted by Raroyder:

It's no different than when you see a good offensive play, but the shot it missed; that doesn't make it a bad offensive set.
if that offensive set never scores a point, it doesn't matter how good it looks, it's a terrible idea to run it.

Tall slow guards that can get lost on defense + biggest frontline in the country = good to have a zone in the mix.

Seems so simple. Love that Cal is mainly man to man and teaches them to be more aggressive but the Harrisons were built to play zone. I also think it throw teams off. I recall it being a very effective change of pace last year. We must be an extremely hard to prepare to play and with a zone that is just one more thing the opposing coach has to worry about.

Originally posted by DCFseattle:

It's no different than when you see a good offensive play, but the shot it missed; that doesn't make it a bad offensive set.
if that offensive set never scores a point, it doesn't matter how good it looks, it's a terrible idea to run it.
I just can't believe that mentality. I, um respectfully disagree. Shots can be missed, nobody is 100%. If a play results in a wide open 3-pointer, it doesn't matter if the shot goes in or not. Cal will run it again later, if not multiple times.

Originally posted by JohnBlue_:
Don't know how you people say it looked great when the other team scored on it 100% of the time.
Easy, because you could see it work. It's no different than when you see a good offensive play, but the shot it missed; that doesn't make it a bad offensive set. The foul on Aaron was not a smart one, because the zone already was forcing a desperation shot. It was good defense on that possession, plain and simple.

This post was edited on 1/24 3:07 PM by Raroyder
You're trying to cling onto a moral victory from a complete disaster. I'd much rather of had them drive it to the lane and watch WCS knock it out of there.

Originally posted by 7UKNCAA:
Tall slow guards that can get lost on defense + biggest frontline in the country = good to have a zone in the mix.

Seems so simple. Love that Cal is mainly man to man and teaches them to be more aggressive but the Harrisons were built to play zone. I also think it throw teams off. I recall it being a very effective change of pace last year. We must be an extremely hard to prepare to play and with a zone that is just one more thing the opposing coach has to worry about.
Excellent post. If opposing coach has to prepare for two different teams plus worry about another defense then it gives UK an edge before game starts.

Why would we want to keep the opponent out of the paint? We have the premier shot blocking team in the country, so why allow the opponent to sit outside and bomb 3's?

I think Cal just wanted to show future opponents that we could play a Zone. Now teams will have to prepare for that.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Originally posted by DCFseattle:

I just can't believe that mentality. I, um respectfully disagree. Shots can be missed, nobody is 100%. If a play results in a wide open 3-pointer, it doesn't matter if the shot goes in or not. Cal will run it again later, if not multiple times.
Cal disagrees. He said in the postgame he won't run that again.

Originally posted by catben:
Why would we want to keep the opponent out of the paint? We have the premier shot blocking team in the country, so why allow the opponent to sit outside and bomb 3's?

I think Cal just wanted to show future opponents that we could play a Zone. Now teams will have to prepare for that.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Calipari said in his postgame interview that an assistant coach suggested they run the zone. He said okay and they ran it, and SC promptly hit a 3 and Cal pulled them out of it and said, 'We won't do that again.'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT