ADVERTISEMENT

What’s up with all the ankle injuries?

Woodsmoke

Sophomore
Feb 27, 2023
Seems like every game, somebody rolls their ankle. Knecht from Tennessee, Roach from Duke and of course Wagner. Low cut sneakers?

No. Older guys like to point to the low tops but the reality is they have very little of any additional ankle support. Especially something like a canvas converse that most of them played with.

Unfortunately, basketball is a game that’s dynamic and ankle rolls are common on every team, every year. We just have seen more of it lately that turns into weeks or months out for us instead of ice it and play the next week like the older days.

The only protection we could do is force the guys to wear lace up braces as a preventative. We were required to in highschool so I don’t understand why you don’t see it more in college

Last edited:
Seems like every game, somebody rolls their ankle. Knecht from Tennessee, Roach from Duke and of course Wagner. Low cut sneakers?
Watch the video. Wagner didn’t roll his ankle. Something else painful happened but not that, don’t know what it was.

No. Older guys like to point to the low tops but the reality is they have very little of any additional ankle support. Especially something like a canvas converse that most of them played with.

Unfortunately, basketball is a game that’s dynamics and ankle rolls are common on every team, every year. We just have seen more of it lately that turns into weeks or months out for us instead of ice it and play the next week like the older days.

The only protection we could do is force the guys to wear lace up braces as a preventative. We were required to in highschool so I don’t understand why you don’t see it more in college
Yeah they actually did a study and found no real difference in protection from high tops to low cuts.

Nothing new. Sprained ankles have always been the most basketball-ish injury of them all.

The human ankle simply wasn’t designed for the constant high speed sudden changes of direction that this game commands when played hard.

Low cut sneakers certainly do not help. It's not rocker science that high top gives more support. I know they're heavier but????

Yeah they actually did a study and found no real difference in protection from high tops to low cuts.

#Bologna

Not you but the study.

I've played in both & I'm sure others have as well. Low cut is light & I always felt quicker but also felt very vulnerable. High top is much tougher to tilt that ankle.

Reactions: Broncos000
Reactions: Dirk2Bowie
This whole idea that he is fine (which I believe to be true) is a bit strange in light of the fact that he didn’t return for the second half of a game in which we only led by 5.
I thought I saw that he bumped knees but most seem to be thinking foot/ankle. I did see on Twitter from someone that he is a go for Saturdays so either way it seems to be in the past.

Firmly believe it’s because guys don’t tie their shoes as tight as they should. You see videos of guys losing shoes then just popping them back on and they don’t seem securely laced up to begin with.

In my opinion as a aau coach these players are playing WAY too much basketball. We have dialed back our circuit but most kids are playing 40-60 games through the summer, school ball, training, etc. I truly believe the odds of injuries increase with the volume of play before they even enter college

This whole idea that he is fine (which I believe to be true) is a bit strange in light of the fact that he didn’t return for the second half of a game in which we only led by 5.
I think if we come out flat and lose the lead you probably see him but by the under 16 timeout the lead was 14 and the under 12 timeout it was 26. At that point there is no need to risk further injury.

It could be that they have the wrong tights on underneath the uniform, that has been known for assisting in turned ankles

I think it was more of a "Let's see how we do and if we need him throw him out there."

Luckily we didn't.

Funny reading this post this year when you consider that Reed’s dad had one of the most famous sprained ankle stories in UK history.

High tops make your ankles weaker and the material provides minimal support at best.

#Bologna

Not you but the study.

I've played in both & I'm sure others have as well. Low cut is light & I always felt quicker but also felt very vulnerable. High top is much tougher to tilt that ankle.
Study is right. There isn’t just one study. Yiu might have “felt” more secure in high tops. You weren’t

My theory is that conditioning is poorer than it used to be. Kids can’t be troubled to learn defense and passing. Probably don’t want to be bothered by endurance and strength training either. Prep schools and feeder programs are failing our ball players..

Knecht might be the best player in college basketball. Reminds us older guys of Ernie Grunfield. UT has lost 3 games but they are a dangerous team but Barnes will blow it as he always does.

Nothing new. Sprained ankles have always been the most basketball-ish injury of them all.

The human ankle simply wasn’t designed for the constant high speed sudden changes of direction that this game commands when played hard.
This.

And jammed fingers.

My daughter is an outside hitter for her indoor volleyball team and these girls REGULARLY land on feet under the net, so lace up ankle braces are mandatory equipment. Limits mobility a bit, but it's required if you want to avoid major injury.

Unfortunately, basketball is a game that’s dynamic and ankle rolls are common on every team, every year. We just have seen more of it lately that turns into weeks or months out for us instead of ice it and play the next week like the older days.

Most of them wore canvas high tops? You realize that would put them in their 80's? I always found them (leather high tops) uncomfortable. I'm not sure how much they actually offer in the way of support. I wore low cut for the most part and never had any ankle issues.

Had a bunch of turned ankles in my playing days. You come down on somebody's foot it's going to turn and it hurts for 2 days 3 days maybe then you're back at it again with the weak ankle that you feel when you're playing

Had a bunch of turned ankles in my playing days. You come down on somebody's foot it's going to turn and it hurts for 2 days 3 days maybe then you're back at it again with the weak ankle that you feel when you're playing
I was just lucky I guess. I have rolled my ankle pretty bad only to be shocked that it didn't actually even hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT