ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia staying with Brown

Good call by them.

I mean how do you fire a guy after 8-4 when 2 of his losses were Texas and Penn State?

With Sooners and Horns out...WVU is going to be right there with KSU, OSU, ISU in the hunt for B12. Said in another thread that it wouldn't surprise me one bit for Brown had a little run of 9 maybe even 10-win seasons and start pinging on the radar for openings.

Like the ACC that conference is about 2 teams deep, and 2 isn't strong so really anyone could pop off.

If he finds even just a decent QB that can run the Air Raid he could do some work in that conference.

Glad to see it for Neal Brown.

And seeing him succeed farther down the road might create a 4th viable option the day Ferenze retires at Iowa.

Reactions: maroon79
With Sooners and Horns out...WVU is going to be right there with KSU, OSU, ISU in the hunt for B12. Said in another thread that it wouldn't surprise me one bit for Brown had a little run of 9 maybe even 10-win seasons and start pinging on the radar for openings.

Like the ACC that conference is about 2 teams deep, and 2 isn't strong so really anyone could pop off.
Totally agree and this is why we’re going to see some weak teams in the expanded playoffs, UL would have been on the cusp this year as they’re 14th in the playoff rankings. Hope they find a way and a system other than a “board” to decide the teams but they won’t. No way a 9-3 SEC team isn’t better than an 11-1 or 10-2 in the ACC or Big 12.

Totally agree and this is why we’re going to see some weak teams in the expanded playoffs, UL would have been on the cusp this year as they’re 14th in the playoff rankings. Hope they find a way and a system other than a “board” to decide the teams but they won’t. No way a 9-3 SEC team isn’t better than an 11-1 or 10-2 in the ACC or Big 12.
Bottom 4 of the 12 should have to play in games of some sort. Typically teams 6-12 are significantly are no where close to being competitive as team 1-6.

Good call by them.

I mean how do you fire a guy after 8-4 when 2 of his losses were Texas and Penn State?

If he finds even just a decent QB that can run the Air Raid he could do some work in that conference.
Would be a great place for Will Rogers

Reactions: bigbluemist
That worst stretch comment is rich considering they finally joined a real conference just 10 years ago. The only time they were really tested was in the early Big East days. For instance, WVUs best seasons, like 1975, they played two ranked team, one being Penn St where they lost 39-0. In 1988, they were undefeated, but played just two ranked teams all year, although Penn St was on the schedule too. Then in 2005, they beat ranked UL and lost to ranked VT as the only tough games on the schedule.

Brown hasn't been good until this year, but they should give him some credit due to being in a tougher conference (that's ironically getting much easier now)

hard to imagine anybody thought there was a choice after this season. 8-4 with 9 conference games plus 2 p5 non conference so only one ‘gimme’ game to get there. Top 25 offense. Maybe some other time but not this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT