ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell Carter's Mom states playing at Duke sucks

Coming_to_America_1_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg

You almost seem to imply that dook was at fault for taking Bagley. That k made promises to Carter prior to Bagley signing up. That k should not have changed his strategy after getting a much more skilled big man.

If they pitched him that they were going to run the offense thru him and that he would be free to launch 3s whenever he wanted, then yeah, they reneged. I don't know if that is the case though.

His mom was a nut job. Maybe makes a few
Good points and maybe Duke does suck but that woman acted like a moron on live television

She's beyond a nut job. She's typical of so many hypocritical people who talk a great game and don't back it up with any substance. From the laughable "We're considering Harvard--like seriously Wendell is...." to "He's staying---he should stay in school". to "The NCAA is awful.....at Duke he didn't get to show his talents......." which is hilarious.

Players in college get to select where they attend school. It's your job as a player/parent to ask questions and figure out what a program is about before you choose the school. This isn't the NBA where teams select you and contracts are signed. Technically you never have to sign a Letter of Intent, so if you do, that's on you/your family. If you choose said school, and then choose to complain after the fact, speaks volumes of what you are about--and these are the type of people that Cal talks about when he says "I have kids/parents calling begging me to offer them when I know they are never coming here...and figure-yeah fine, no big deal...here you go".

The lady could've had her son attend Harvard--Ivy League education, no scholarship, etc.....but Wendell was set up with Duke through Team USA/Nike and that's deal they decided to make. "Sacrifice" is actually a great thing in any program, because if you are fortunate enough to be good enough to play in NBA, less then 1% are going to be the Franchise players.....so you better learn how to fit in with talented teammates. Nobody in their right mind is going to build a team around Carter, he's not that good. He's a piece of puzzle, not the focal point to build everything around. These phony/fake people who want attention all the time and don't like when more talented people get talked about are what's tired about CBB, College Athletics and the "system". The lady was rocking Blue Hair behind Duke's bench on their run to Elite 8, so obviously she didn't protest too much and she supposedly wanted him to return to school only to go on this laughable diatribe against all things after Carter decided to split. If they wanted--go overseas or turn pro out of HS and since he's so smart, he'd have easily qualified to attend an Ivy League school as a student by his choice, right? Hell No. Ivy isn't on the networks people watch and give attention. The last elite player to bypass big time schools and stay small was Adonal Foyle who went to Colgate, and he made the NBA and had a nice career. It can be done. But Bamba, Carter, etc....and now Scottie Lewis want to play up this charade and it's tired. Be about what you say or STFU.

You almost seem to imply that dook was at fault for taking Bagley. That k made promises to Carter prior to Bagley signing up. That k should not have changed his strategy after getting a much more skilled big man.

Where?

Where did I imply that you can't just be honest with kids from the start and find a way for all of your highly touted players to flourish?

Reactions: WildMoon
What does the NCAA have anything to do with him not being able to show his full set of skills? That is coach and program specific.

Just spitballing here, and not trying to put words in the poster’s mouth, but the ‘they’ she refers to throughout is the NCAA and not Katan/DUKE.

If you make a kid promises during recruiting the coach should live up to them.

Where?

Where did I imply that you can't just be honest with kids from the start and find a way for all of your highly touted players to flourish?
But where was dook dishonest? Their situation clearly changed after Bagley. Doesn’t it stand to reason Carter’s role changed also?
I like the negative story for them, but there doesn’t seem to be much saying Carter was unjustly misled.

She's beyond a nut job. She's typical of so many hypocritical people who talk a great game and don't back it up with any substance. From the laughable "We're considering Harvard--like seriously Wendell is...." to "He's staying---he should stay in school". to "The NCAA is awful.....at Duke he didn't get to show his talents......." which is hilarious.

Players in college get to select where they attend school. It's your job as a player/parent to ask questions and figure out what a program is about before you choose the school. This isn't the NBA where teams select you and contracts are signed. Technically you never have to sign a Letter of Intent, so if you do, that's on you/your family. If you choose said school, and then choose to complain after the fact, speaks volumes of what you are about--and these are the type of people that Cal talks about when he says "I have kids/parents calling begging me to offer them when I know they are never coming here...and figure-yeah fine, no big deal...here you go".

The lady could've had her son attend Harvard--Ivy League education, no scholarship, etc.....but Wendell was set up with Duke through Team USA/Nike and that's deal they decided to make. "Sacrifice" is actually a great thing in any program, because if you are fortunate enough to be good enough to play in NBA, less then 1% are going to be the Franchise players.....so you better learn how to fit in with talented teammates. Nobody in their right mind is going to build a team around Carter, he's not that good. He's a piece of puzzle, not the focal point to build everything around. These phony/fake people who want attention all the time and don't like when more talented people get talked about are what's tired about CBB, College Athletics and the "system". The lady was rocking Blue Hair behind Duke's bench on their run to Elite 8, so obviously she didn't protest too much and she supposedly wanted him to return to school only to go on this laughable diatribe against all things after Carter decided to split. If they wanted--go overseas or turn pro out of HS and since he's so smart, he'd have easily qualified to attend an Ivy League school as a student by his choice, right? Hell No. Ivy isn't on the networks people watch and give attention. The last elite player to bypass big time schools and stay small was Adonal Foyle who went to Colgate, and he made the NBA and had a nice career. It can be done. But Bamba, Carter, etc....and now Scottie Lewis want to play up this charade and it's tired. Be about what you say or STFU.

Exactly. Anyone who tries to find some sort of wiggle room for the family is riding an old tired agenda.

But if a better player comes along, it’s logical to use that player for the benefit of the team. I think this family’s take on things is questionable.

Just spitballing here, and not trying to put words in the poster’s mouth, but the ‘they’ she refers to throughout is the NCAA and not Katan/DUKE.
Not when specifically referring to her son’s inability to showcase his skill set. That is direct reflection on Coach K no matter how you try to spin it. The NCAA has ZERO input on that issue.

Yes and no. It depends. The coaches job is to put his team in the best possible place to win. Now with that comes a balancing act, the way you’ll be viewed on the recruiting trail is part of putting your team in that winning position.

If Bagley wanted in late it’s the coaches responsibility to take him. It’s the parents responsibility (in the Carters case) to do their homework and understand the situation. They picked to play for the school Nike told them to regardless of the issues she’s bitching about. That’s their choice, everyone knows K will do what’s in his own best interest more so than any other coach alive. And recruiting over a player is a coaches job, If you don’t do it then you aren’t living up to your contract.

These families play more games and pull more BS than any coach possibly could. When it smacks them in the face, it’s great.

Then you do what Buckles woundn’t and explain how Mark Emmert is at fault for taking the ball out of Carter’s hands and forcing him to rebound and defer?

If they pitched him that they were going to run the offense thru him and that he would be free to launch 3s whenever he wanted, then yeah, they reneged. I don't know if that is the case though.
Seems like this is the case. He was their top recruit and was likely told his role would be something specific, then Bagley reclassified and miraculously got eligible and he had to take a back seat.

Then you do what Buckles woundn’t and explain how Mark Emmert is at fault for taking the ball out of Carter’s hands and forcing him to rebound and defer?
Carter did not play for Mark Emmert. He played for coach K. Coach K is the one that controlled his playing time and role on the Duke team. If you can not understand that then I have nothing I can do for you.

More anti-Duke press. Love it.

Carter's mom, Thornton's uncle, Ojeleye's mom, etc.

Keep 'em coming. It's not just underutilized 5 star players anymore. It's lottery picks.

I hope Cal discusses this (or at least references it) stuff on the recruiting trail in future recruiting battles with Duke.

I expect a forthcoming underutilized Bolden and his camp will have some interesting things to say.
She is a total whiner, but it’s interesting how many have said things like this about Duke lately and none of Cal’s players have ever said anything like this. Ever.

Reactions: catben
But where was dook dishonest? Their situation clearly changed after Bagley. Doesn’t it stand to reason Carter’s role changed also?
I like the negative story for them, but there doesn’t seem to be much saying Carter was unjustly misled.

Duke walked Bagley through the reclassification process. They knew exactly what the plan was. Wendell Carter didn't.

Not to mention, it's up to the coach to figure out his team and his style and how to do right by his guys.

Cal didn't anticipate everyone returning in 2015. So what did he do? He came up with an entirely new system to make sure everyone ate, and damn near went undefeated doing it.

Look at the talent Duke had around guys like Parker, Rivers and Tatum. Look at the team results. Look at their individual results. Watch what happens to Zion and Tre Jones this year.

Carter did not play for Mark Emmert. He played for coach K. Coach K is the one that controlled his playing time and role on the Duke team. If you can not understand that then I have nothing I can do for you.

Oh I understand it perfectly well. I wanted the “it’s about the NCAA” crowd to explain it.

Duke walked Bagley through the reclassification process. They knew exactly what the plan was. Wendell Carter didn't.

Not to mention, it's up to the coach to figure out his team and his style and how to do right by his guys.

Cal didn't anticipate everyone returning in 2015. So what did he do? He came up with an entirely new system to make sure everyone ate, and damn near went undefeated doing it.

Look at the talent Duke had around guys like Parker, Rivers and Tatum. Look at the team results. Look at their individual results. Watch what happens to Zion and Tre Jones this year.

Which is why I said it’s a balancing act. Duke had to take Bagley, but with that comes this statement by Carters mother. Coaches sell all kinds of things, it’s not their job to do the homework, they are paid by the university to produce.

They probably went with Duke because of Nike and Capel. Well, that’s their fault for not looking into it nearly enough. No one else is at fault.

Reactions: catben

Well to do that I would have to agree with her, which I don’t. However, I do see how some could be confused or think she’s talking about the NCAA.

If she thinks that her son won't have a specific type role on a team in the NBA she's in for a rude awakening.

Apart from that, I hope she keeps on bashing Duke but I wish she would understand it's Duke...not college basketball.

Cal will bend over backwards to Showcase a kid but within a certain framework. Still need kids to have a team concept and sometimes that requires sacrificing...AKA...Anthony Davis

Last edited:
Well to do that I would have to agree with her, which I don’t. However, I do see how some could be confused or think she’s talking about the NCAA.

Well to be confused you would have to believe the NCAA is responsible for her son’s issues while playing on the floor for Duke. It’s not that hard.

Where?

In your posts, the implication is the one I mentioned, not this other one you just made up.

It sounds to me about someone complaining about "the man" keeping them down. It'll take more than wishful thinking to make anything stick to Duke with respect to her comments.

We really don't need any of this to stick to Duke.. just for recruits to take notice that there's yet ANOTHER parent unhappy with the way things turned out (for whatever percentage blame you want to put on Duke or the NCAA).

Doesn't matter if the Media looks the other way and Duke never gets in trouble. We knew that much anyways.. instead, let it hit their recruiting.. which, IMO, has already taken a gigantic hit this past Spring.

You don’t think his mom is creating a narrative that isn’t true? Curious why Wendell hasn’t said the same thing as his mom.

Well to be confused you would have to believe the NCAA is responsible for her son’s issues while playing on the floor for Duke. It’s not that hard.

No. For me it’s the fact that when she says ‘they’ she’s talking about the NCAA. Nowhere in the setup or her response does she mention Katan or Duke.

No. For me it’s the fact that when she says ‘they’ she’s talking about the NCAA. Nowhere in the setup or her response does she mention Katan or Duke.

You just can’t grasp it.

She ends her entire complaint speaking about players being forced to do things, like deferring and rebounding. That her son was unable to showcase himself correctly.

That is NOT an NCAA issue, it’s a Duke issue.

Good grief.

“The act of getting paid is not what makes a difference, the difference is that in the NBA [players] are respected in the role that they’re in.

Interesting choice of words considering this:
"Carter's name also popped up in a Yahoo! investigative report in February. According to the report, Carter's mother's name was listed among a list of players and family members on an expense report from Christian Dawkins, an agent who was arrested in the FBI's investigation into corruption into college basketball."

"His mother told Krzyzewski that she and her husband met for lunch with Dawkins — which is not against the NCAA's amateurism rules — but did not eat.

Carter was cleared and deemed eligible by Duke."

Reactions: morgousky
In your posts, the implication is the one I mentioned, not this other one you just made up.

Where did I imply what you initially said I did?

You don’t think his mom is creating a narrative that isn’t true? Curious why Wendell hasn’t said the same thing as his mom.

No, I think she's telling the truth that not a lot of parents are willing to tell. Wendell can't come out and say it because, right or not, there's a team decorum expectation and you don't want to be a rookie who's known for complaining about a coach in public.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
K embraced the one and done to be top dog, had nothing to do with helping the kids. The man is a complete scumbag, and their fans know it though won't admit it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT