ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to the SEC!

SmyrnaCatFan

Sophomore
Nov 9, 2012
All of our freshmen and Tre played in their first SEC road game. What lessons were taught and how well do you think those lessons will be learned?

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
I think Bradshaw took a step up today. I realize he’s not what I thought he was in terms of impact, but without him we can’t win a title. We need him to be more assertive.

Also I think it’s safe to say we don’t work through Reed enough and we should not wait until the end of the game to do it.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I would hope that we improve our perimeter defense. Despite the lucky threes, our guys need to recognize that poor shooting three point shooting teams have to be defended. I would also hope to see better boxing out for improved rebounding. These are lessons I hope were/are well drilled in the film room and weekend practices and walkthrough.

Florida also hit more threes today than they normally do. They are usually horrible from three and were banking them in during the first half.
That's 6 points there + the tip-in that should have not counted when the UF player grabbed the rim. So fla got 8 free ones/lucky and we still beat the Gaturds

I think most of our road games will be slug fests
@Auburn and @UT will be toughest two remaining as far as hostile environment.

Usually @Arkansas is but they are struggling.

@USC & @TAMU may be tough.

@Vanderbilt - bench configuration - but it usually isn't a huge issue.

Last edited:
@Auburn and @UT will be toughest two remaining as far as hostile environment.

Usually @Arkansas is but they are struggling.

@USC may be tough.

@Vanderbilt - bench configuration - but it usually isn't a huge issue.

Also at a and m. None will be easy with a younger team. I expect a lot of close wins and a close loss or 2 or maybe a close loss or 2 abd a blowout loss. Hope not.

I think Bradshaw took a step up today. I realize he’s not what I thought he was in terms of impact, but without him we can’t win a title. We need him to be more assertive.

Also I think it’s safe to say we don’t work through Reed enough and we should not wait until the end of the game to do it.
Really? Bradshaw has made a very big impact in 2 of the 5 full games he has played. He is a freshman who just came back from foot surgery playing a very big games. He will have a very big impact before his year is over. He will learn and get better every game the rest of the way. Remeber, we have 8 or 9 guys who can impact the game, he will not stand out every game, but he will get his fair share of the limelight. Funny, you didn't mention Onyenso's struggles. He is a second year in the system guy and hasn't had the impact Bradshaw has had. And to be fair, he has had even less time back than Bradshaw so it's not a dig at him, but you for not having the patience. Especially after the impact he had in the Florida game, without him with the dagger 3, key 15 foot jumper and a couple timely defensive plays, we lose Saturday.

Reactions: ColonelCat
One thing that was different about this game that is typical of most sec road games is that it wasn’t a rock fight. I respect Florida coming out and playing basketball and not trying to muck the game up.
Hopefully as the league continues to improve that we’ll see more teams do this

Florida will be a team to wrecken with before all is said and done. They have lost some very close games down the stretch and could have quite easily won them all. They have a lot of key new parts and are still coming together. They also have a fairly green coach and really they just need to learn to close out games. They will beat some very good teams. Matter of fact I predict they beat UT in the dome.

A road win is a plus anytime and anywhere. At UF and first conference game to boot makes it even more valuable. Us oldtimers remember the dreaded "January slump" that plagued UK for years(started in the Joe Hall years I think)

Good to have the early road win in our hip pocket for a change. We should take care of business tomorrow night and be 2-0 to kick off conference play

Reactions: SmyrnaCatFan
Biggest lesson they learned is that UK players can get physically beat up and rarely get the calls. Better wear battle armor and have thick skin.

It will be a slugfest no matter who we’re playing on the road. Probably in Rupp too for that matter. It doesn’t matter if they’ve been playing bad or not, they will play like the Boston Celtics when they play us. Mark it down. We’re playing 5 on 8 also.

Reactions: bigbluelou
It will be a slugfest no matter who we’re playing on the road. Probably in Rupp too for that matter. It doesn’t matter if they’ve been playing bad or not, they will play like the Boston Celtics when they play us. Mark it down. We’re playing 5 on 8 also.
Wouldn't it be nice to get the KU treatment even at home, forget the road!?

Reactions: ZenCatFan73
All of our freshmen and Tre played in their first SEC road game. What lessons were taught and how well do you think those lessons will be learned?
They learned that league teams and their fans will always treat the game against UK as the national championship- we're gonna get everyone's best shot. They also likely learned that SEC referees will always give everyone else the benefit of the doubt, but not UK. We have to earn every single point we get. I hope they also learned that there are times when the game plan has to be adjusted on the fly. I also hope they learned that poor play doesn't mean the game is over, but that they can still make plays to win later in the game. I'm seeing more and more that these guys have a very strong will to win and will do whatever it takes, and that is essential in these SEC road games. It's essential all the time, but especially on the road.

I'm hoping they truly understand how important that playing defensively those last 2+ minutes was what really won the game for them. The offense kept them in it, kinda opposite common logic. But the main thing is that they need to get better defensively.

Playing with confidence is very important; matching & surpassing the other team's energy and effort for the entire game has got to happen in order for them to win.

playing smart, like getting Reed to the line late in games.
everyone stepping up, no matter who it may be.

lots of good lessons to take from our first road game.

love this journey !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT