ADVERTISEMENT

Weicome to the 21st century

They deserve to be paid, but I feel like there should also be a 10 million cap. Teams like UK would still succeed against most others, but you won't have rogue donors like Jerry Jones supposedly offering double to recruits to steer them away from us.
I agree. I’m in the pharma field and we can’t even give away a pen because it causes an unequal playing field with smaller companies with less money. How is this any different, smaller market teams will have zero chance to ever win a championship. I think the answer is a cap. The players still get paid but they still pick schools based on other factors other than money.

They deserve to be paid, but I feel like there should also be a 10 million cap. Teams like UK would still succeed against most others, but you won't have rogue donors like Jerry Jones supposedly offering double to recruits to steer them away from us.
10 mil cap??
Damn you actually think there's rosters exceeding 10 mil.?

They deserve to be paid by the university making millions off them. Not by Billy Joe wildcat paying $41 he can't afford every month. They shit the bed on NIL
In a perfect world, one would receive a signed photo for each player as part of the nil club each month . Then you actually did pay for their NiL.

There needs to be some regulation and stability, but what governing body fills anyone with confidence their regulations would be better?

I have trouble wrapping my brain around the idea that paying large money from a business to get Billy Athlete in an Ad is a smart investment .. yes there are exceptions .. but Cmon , who buys a product because some hot shot freshman / portal transfer says so ? Sure not me

They deserve to be paid by the university making millions off them. Not by Billy Joe wildcat paying $41 he can't afford every month. They shit the bed on NIL
There is a simple fix to this whole entire NIL issue.
Designate that 50% of all TV contract revenue must be paid to student athletes that are on any kind of athletic scholarship.

The top schools/conferences with the largest contracts will always find a way to " buy" the best players anyway.

10 mil cap??
Damn you actually think there's rosters exceeding 10 mil.?
Not necessarily, just throwing out a number. Dedicated boosters can strive for it, but multi-billionaires won't be able to buy everyone they want at their colleges without competition.

I agree. I’m in the pharma field and we can’t even give away a pen because it causes an unequal playing field with smaller companies with less money. How is this any different, smaller market teams will have zero chance to ever win a championship. I think the answer is a cap. The players still get paid but they still pick schools based on other factors other than money.
How would you cap a phenom like Caitlyn Clark?
Would the rest of the team have to take scraps?
No way a court would ever uphold someone like Clark being limited on what she could earn from her NIL.

Something has to be done but the NCAA has been left twiddling their thumbs. The current trajectory is that universities are becoming conduits for billionaires / millionaires to proxy funds similar in a way to how pro sports teams operate. The actual intention of NIL is already ignored.

I am not against paying players, but the current head in the sand approach, acting as if the players aren't just legitimate professionals, means there aren't real solutions to dealing with the problem.

Billionaires paying players works great when in the paradigm of pro sports, but in the paradigm of college sports, where all kinds of ethical and bureaucratic constraints are introduced by state funding and the broader mission of education, the big money is cast to the shadows discretely. Furthermore, the NCAA has no leverage in the situation in a paradigm where at most you get a player for 4 years. It's a jumbled mess.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Not necessarily, just throwing out a number. Dedicated boosters can strive for it, but multi-billionaires won't be able to buy everyone they want at their colleges without competition.
The only hope really is booster fatigue.
I really don't believe the Jones story but if true I hope he spends like crazy and gets an NIT team or a first round exit.
Might not be so gung ho to spend on next year's group.

NIL stands for Name, Image, and Likeness. The courts ruled the NCAA can't take away a person's right to profit from his own Name, Image, and Likeness. NIL isn't supposed to be the feeding trough that it immediately transformed to. I've never seen any commercial entity using a kid's Name, Image, or Likeness. ("Hi! Famous Nutcase Here, When I trip somebody on the court, you can bet I'm wearing Poll Parrot's Long Toed Sneakers!") The people ponying up the money aren't even using the kid's Name, Image. or Likeness. Not a tee shirt. Not a mug. Not a tote. Nothing. ("Hey. C'mon on down to Ralph Spoilsport's Motors for our Sparks Will Fly RV Sale. Tell 'em the 3 minute man sent ya!")

I feel they will tighten things up after this year, otherwise entire teams will simply enter the portal every year to see what better deals they can get. Will make it impossible to keep team coherence. I’m not a scientist, but I’d say we’ll start seeing players forced to sign 2-year deals or something, like pros.

NIL stands for Name, Image, and Likeness. The courts ruled the NCAA can't take away a person's right to profit from his own Name, Image, and Likeness. NIL isn't supposed to be the feeding trough that it immediately transformed to. I've never seen any commercial entity using a kid's Name, Image, or Likeness. ("Hi! Famous Nutcase Here, When I trip somebody on the court, you can bet I'm wearing Poll Parrot's Long Toed Sneakers!") The people ponying up the money aren't even using the kid's Name, Image. or Likeness. Not a tee shirt. Not a mug. Not a tote. Nothing. ("Hey. C'mon on down to Ralph Spoilsport's Motors for our Sparks Will Fly RV Sale. Tell 'em the 3 minute man sent ya!")
They're going to have fix something, then. Make contracts that if broken, void playing time for players. It sounds harsh, but we really don't want to see some basketball junkie billionaire outbid every team if they want, removing any sort of competition.

Here's what I believe you're missing.
I don't think JJ is bidding against KY., but trying to assure that no other college is going to keep Arky from being successful.
This is a much larger bubble.

Something has to be done but the NCAA has been left twiddling their thumbs. The current trajectory is that universities are becoming conduits for billionaires / millionaires to proxy funds similar in a way to how pro sports teams operate. The actual intention of NIL is already ignored.

I am not against paying players, but the current head in the sand approach, acting as if the players aren't just legitimate professionals, means there aren't real solutions to dealing with the problem.

Billionaires paying players works great when in the paradigm of pro sports, but in the paradigm of college sports, where all kinds of ethical and bureaucratic constraints are introduced by state funding and the broader mission of education, the big money is cast to the shadows discretely. Furthermore, the NCAA has no leverage in the situation in a paradigm where at most you get a player for 4 years. It's a jumbled mess.
Billionaire owners of pro sports teams reap in the profits of the teams.
Arkansas winning a championship wouldn'. increase profits for Jones one bit.
Same for Craft at UK.
Jerry giving a Cowboy a max contract is an investment.
Jerry paying Arkansas recruits is just a gift.
The only only way I could see it being sustainable is if someway their accountants and lawyers can turn it into a tax deduction

Reactions: KAB Cats
There is a simple fix to this whole entire NIL issue.
Designate that 50% of all TV contract revenue must be paid to student athletes that are on any kind of athletic scholarship.

The top schools/conferences with the largest contracts will always find a way to " buy" the best players anyway.
I like this idea. It’s the only one that addresses the original exploitation issue without turning both players and boosters into tigers we’ve got by the tail.

Reactions: cathouse
I feel they will tighten things up after this year, otherwise entire teams will simply enter the portal every year to see what better deals they can get. Will make it impossible to keep team coherence. I’m not a scientist, but I’d say we’ll start seeing players forced to sign 2-year deals or something, like pros.
Regional teams. Get schools out of the business.

There's a history for that. The first basketball game I ever saw was a Cleveland Pipers game from the old American Basketball League. It was a rec league vaguely associated with the AAU and the players weren't paid by the team -- iirc -- but by the business entity that the owner controlled. We're talking +60 year old memories here. European sports have a complicated tier system of sports leagues. You do well you go up a tier. You do poorly you're relegated down to a lower tier. Europeans aren't starved for athletic entertainment.

Reactions: meow_cat
the most NIL a team paid last year was 4 million. That was not 1 player, that was for the whole team.

How would you cap a phenom like Caitlyn Clark?
Would the rest of the team have to take scraps?
No way a court would ever uphold someone like Clark being limited on what she could earn from her NIL.
The pros call it a salary cap and AFAIK, it's never been rebuked in court, probably because of a collective bargaining agreement. Nevertheless, apparently salaries can be capped.

I want to see Jerry Jones give somebody millions without having them on a contract. I call bullshit.

I like this idea. It’s the only one that addresses the original exploitation issue without turning both players and boosters into tigers we’ve got by the tail.
Then they get a salary from the school plus NIL.
The courts have ruled that you can't deny a player payment for use of their NIL and you can't legally prevent them from pursuing NIL opportunities.
To me the solution is an NCAA NIL clearinghouse where every players NIL deal would be vetted as to if it was legit NIL or not
I know it would be a huge bureaucratic nightmare.
Still don't know if it would stand up in court but somewhere common sense has to come into play.
You can't pay Beau Allen more for an add than you would pay Joe Burrow.
There has to be provisions set up where an NIL deal could be ruled as" grossly exceeding market value for services rendered" or something along those lines.

The pros call it a salary cap and AFAIK, it's never been rebuked in court, probably because of a collective bargaining agreement. Nevertheless, apparently salaries can be capped.
Yes they can in a CBA.
College players NIL is not considered a salary because they are not employees.

Too lazy to look it up but there were a few of us on here that warned about the potential of NIL hurting smaller schools from poor states like Ky.... while many poo poo'd the notion and were cheering it on.
What made Ky great all these years was the history.....the fan support....the tv exposure...and the chance to be seen by millions playing on tv late into March. That was the route to the NBA.
These kids don't give a rats azz about most of that now.
All they care about now is getting to a Power Conference and Pay for Play.
UK doesn't have the Big Money East or West Coast alumni and media connections. We don't have corporations and alumni with OLD money pockets like Duke, UNC and other programs have.
Coal money has dried up.
If we are gonna stay relevant, the fans will have to get us there with small dollar donations by the thousands.
Sadly, it's all about the $$$$$$ now period.

Reactions: KYExtemper
You obviously haven't been watching commercials then. Caleb Williams was in the Dr. Pepper Fansville commercials. Reed Sheppard did a commercial for some bank. Stores can now sell shirts and jerseys with active players names on them. I saw a couple of different Caitlyn Clark commercials. Just because you don't know where to look, doesn't mean they aren't using the players N, I & L. A lot of them schedule players to be at certain events, to sign autographs or things like that. I saw a billboard with some UK football Linemen on it somewhere.

Def the right answer. Good insight on the cap, I read this and my reaction was: "no brainer, wish I had thought of it first." I think the challenge will be to set a reasonable ceiling.

Reactions: TriCountyCat
the most NIL a team paid last year was 4 million. That was not 1 player, that was for the whole team.
Where are their stats on this and how is it calculated.
Bronny himself has a 3 mil NIL valuation although his is driven by social media platforms not from USC boosters.

Sign a deal with who?

I said at the beginning before NIL started there needs to be a limit per year each player can earn. Say $1M. However, their tuition needs to be deducted and repaid to the university. No reason they shouldn't be paying their tuition if they're gonna get paid to play. Then the University can use that money for scholarships for kids who have the grades, but can't attend because they don't have the money.

I said at the beginning before NIL started there needs to be a limit per year each player can earn. Say $1M. However, their tuition needs to be deducted and repaid to the university. No reason they shouldn't be paying their tuition if they're gonna get paid to play. Then the University can use that money for scholarships for kids who have the grades, but can't attend because they don't have the money.
Noble idea but something that would take 20 years to go through the courts and would most likely be a state by state thing and no state would want to give a competitive advantage to another state.
The Fed has stayed out of this issue so far other than the Supreme courts paving the way for state laws to be upheld.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT