ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend 1 Thoughts

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
Let's start off on the highest note:

Williams came back from injury way sooner than should be humanly possible and dazzled in his return, picking up right where he left off. Not sure if he will make his way into the starting lineup, but if not, he could play a very similar role to what we saw from Guilfoil a year ago. Basically to be a long reliver who comes into a game in the 5th or 6th, or whenever the starter begins to struggle, and go the distance to close out the game.

Also good:

Pitching overall. Very good. Elon is an absolutely horrible hitting team. .226 as a team a year ago, which is just astronomically bad. As a whole UK held them to well under that. I don't think any of our pitchers really ever struggled at any point. Martin made a couple of mistakes and Elon hit something like .272 against him, but he limited the damage and did enough to win that game. I'm still nervous about him being a Friday night starter, but I am certainly not writing him off.

Ehh:

Hitting. Elon had a good pitching staff last year. They finished with a pretty low team ERA. However, I can't say that our hitting against them was particular impressive. It got better as we faced less experienced pitchers and the bullpen, but we still didn't exactly dominate. I did like that we had several timely 2 out hits in games 2 and 3. So, I will be looking to see us continue that moving forward. I still don't like Pitre in the 4 hole. I see him more as the 2 hole guy and I think it could be good to switch him and McCoy. I think it is much more dangerous for us to have Waldy leading off and working the count and seeing a lot of pitches and getting on base with a high OBP, and then Pitre having the ability to hit, or bunt, him over, and Burkes to follow that with more power. We will see how the hitting improves, but I think we will face much tougher overall pitchers and staffs moving forward, so we will need to take a pretty big step to get to where we really need to be.

Not ideal:

Fielding. It wasn't so much that it was horrible across the board, but Byars at third had 2 errors and could have been attributed a third. I'm not sure that many other players were put in particularly difficult spots. We did have an error on a pickoff move by Bosma in game 2. He did a good job getting himself out of that problem though. We will see how this goes moving forward. No one can be perfect, but it is more ideal that we clean it up.

Horrible:
Base running. The box scores seem to say that we were 3 for 6 in stolen bases this weekend. I believe that this is leaving off the two times we were picked off on Friday night. So, really we were 3-8 (38% success rate). I think it could have been a bit worse as they were somewhat generous giving us a stolen base on one attempt that could have been a defensive indifference as Elon did not even look to attempt a throw when we had runners on the corners and advanced McCoy (IIRC) to second. So, could have even been 2-7 (29%). Not sure I heard anything on the weekend that indicated there was particularly good base running, such as last year we often even took third on hits in front of the runner to the left side of the infield. Ritter was notoriously good at this. However, to be fair, we didn't have a ton of guys on second with less than two outs this weekend. Either way, we tried to move the runners a good bit and we failed way too often. This was against multiple pitchers and catchers, so we weren't necessarily facing a particularly nasty pickoff move or a one stud catcher. It does not appear that UK, to date, is going to be an amazing hitting team and it doesn't appear that we'll have a ton of power throughout the lineup. So, we will need to rely on getting those runners moving to increase our scoring chances. Giving away outs on the bases, especially at this rate, is just outright unacceptable.

Weekend starters as first base coaches. It was mentioned during the games by a couple people. I don't mind the players being there, but weekend starters makes no sense to me. As someone else mentioned, a hard line drive isn't likely, but it still could conceivably catch one of your weekend guys over there and then you're out a starter. Heck, even using pitchers doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You could use a guy like Felker over there who can then pay attention to a pitcher's pickoff move and get that timing down and when you need him to pinch run, he might have seen that pickoff move and be ready to time it up and get a stolen base for you. Then, if you want to possibly pinch hit him you can swap him for someone else prior to that inning. That just makes a lot more sense to me than using a pitcher, much less a starting weekend guy.

Great write up!

Pitching wise I thought the most exciting thing was the lack of free passes given up. With the raw stuff they have if Cotto, Hagenow and Strickland can consistently throw strikes it really gives depth to the pitching staff.

Hitting wise I thought Waldschmidt, Gray and Smith had really good weekends. Pitre came around yesterday and Burkes had the 2 biggest hits of the weekend. It’s just 3 games in but right now I think 3B, RF and DH are still there for someone to step up and take.

Great write up!

Pitching wise I thought the most exciting thing was the lack of free passes given up. With the raw stuff they have if Cotto, Hagenow and Strickland can consistently throw strikes it really gives depth to the pitching staff.

Hitting wise I thought Waldschmidt, Gray and Smith had really good weekends. Pitre came around yesterday and Burkes had the 2 biggest hits of the weekend. It’s just 3 games in but right now I think 3B, RF and DH are still there for someone to step up and take.

Good point about the walks. We had just 5 walks to 32 strikeouts. Only Lee walked more than 1 guy and only Martin gave up more than 2 hits. So those are very solid numbers from the whole staff. We will see if that can continue as we face teams that will force them to nibble the corners a lot more due to more dangerous bats. Still, this past weekend we attacked the strike zone a whole lot. I can't remember which game it was, but Mingione mentioned that in one of the games all but 2 of the first pitches were strikes. Want to say that was from Bosma? So, getting ahead like that is huge. A big strength of this team is going to be the bullpen. Just a ton of depth there and so if we have a guy who isn't sharp and is missing his spots, then we should be able to turn to a whole host of arms to find a guy that can get it done that day. The fact that guys like Hagenow, Cotto, and Williams could be starters and are coming out of the pen is a testament to that depth.

We hit just .237 as a team this weekend. That is just not going to cut it. Burkes, McCarthy, Byars, McCoy, Stanke, and Ewell all hit under .200 with Stanke, Ewell and Byars going hitless in 17 combined at bats. Need to get our strikeout numbers down, we struck out 27 times in 93 at bats, or about 29 percent of the time. Not a lot of extra base hits this weekend, we had just 4 out of 22 hits, which means that only 18 percent of our hits were for extra bases. We can use last year as a metric where we had 192 extra base hits out of 554, which is about 35 percent of our hits. Really liked Smith turning the lineup over and hitting .500 this weekend, he had an OBP of .636.

Great read CB, thanks as always for your efforts

I can’t help but believe Ming knows how poor we are going to be offensively. Therefore he is looking at non-conventional lineups and working on “small ball”. If that’s the case it could be a brutal season in this conference. I hope I am way off here, but he sees them everyday and we just don’t appear to have any firepower.

I have seen a lot of UK/ college baseball in person over the years. From my limited view of this team (2 scrimmages - 2 practices, some online viewing of Fri / Sat) we just don’t pass the eye test yet. I’m referencing at the plate.

We have been challenged in baseball for years, but in the last 10 we have at least had some dudes (offensively) Don’t see any “dudes” yet. Again hope I’m very wrong.

Feel like we’ve been saying something along the lines of “need to get our strikeout numbers down” for the last five years or so

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I might go to like four or five SEC games this year so if anyone wants to go and doesn’t wanna spend a few bucks let me know and I’ll shoot transfer you tickets. General dugout.

Great read CB, thanks as always for your efforts

I can’t help but believe Ming knows how poor we are going to be offensively. Therefore he is looking at non-conventional lineups and working on “small ball”. If that’s the case it could be a brutal season in this conference. I hope I am way off here, but he sees them everyday and we just don’t appear to have any firepower.

I have seen a lot of UK/ college baseball in person over the years. From my limited view of this team (2 scrimmages - 2 practices, some online viewing of Fri / Sat) we just don’t pass the eye test yet. I’m referencing at the plate.

We have been challenged in baseball for years, but in the last 10 we have at least had some dudes (offensively) Don’t see any “dudes” yet. Again hope I’m very wrong.
I hope you’re wrong but I don’t think you are. You can’t keep getting small college guys from the portal as your roster each year and be successful. Especially when you’re in the top conference for baseball in the country.

Reactions: Basil Cat
Let's start off on the highest note:

Williams came back from injury way sooner than should be humanly possible and dazzled in his return, picking up right where he left off. Not sure if he will make his way into the starting lineup, but if not, he could play a very similar role to what we saw from Guilfoil a year ago. Basically to be a long reliver who comes into a game in the 5th or 6th, or whenever the starter begins to struggle, and go the distance to close out the game.

Also good:

Pitching overall. Very good. Elon is an absolutely horrible hitting team. .226 as a team a year ago, which is just astronomically bad. As a whole UK held them to well under that. I don't think any of our pitchers really ever struggled at any point. Martin made a couple of mistakes and Elon hit something like .272 against him, but he limited the damage and did enough to win that game. I'm still nervous about him being a Friday night starter, but I am certainly not writing him off.

Ehh:

Hitting. Elon had a good pitching staff last year. They finished with a pretty low team ERA. However, I can't say that our hitting against them was particular impressive. It got better as we faced less experienced pitchers and the bullpen, but we still didn't exactly dominate. I did like that we had several timely 2 out hits in games 2 and 3. So, I will be looking to see us continue that moving forward. I still don't like Pitre in the 4 hole. I see him more as the 2 hole guy and I think it could be good to switch him and McCoy. I think it is much more dangerous for us to have Waldy leading off and working the count and seeing a lot of pitches and getting on base with a high OBP, and then Pitre having the ability to hit, or bunt, him over, and Burkes to follow that with more power. We will see how the hitting improves, but I think we will face much tougher overall pitchers and staffs moving forward, so we will need to take a pretty big step to get to where we really need to be.

Not ideal:

Fielding. It wasn't so much that it was horrible across the board, but Byars at third had 2 errors and could have been attributed a third. I'm not sure that many other players were put in particularly difficult spots. We did have an error on a pickoff move by Bosma in game 2. He did a good job getting himself out of that problem though. We will see how this goes moving forward. No one can be perfect, but it is more ideal that we clean it up.

Horrible:
Base running. The box scores seem to say that we were 3 for 6 in stolen bases this weekend. I believe that this is leaving off the two times we were picked off on Friday night. So, really we were 3-8 (38% success rate). I think it could have been a bit worse as they were somewhat generous giving us a stolen base on one attempt that could have been a defensive indifference as Elon did not even look to attempt a throw when we had runners on the corners and advanced McCoy (IIRC) to second. So, could have even been 2-7 (29%). Not sure I heard anything on the weekend that indicated there was particularly good base running, such as last year we often even took third on hits in front of the runner to the left side of the infield. Ritter was notoriously good at this. However, to be fair, we didn't have a ton of guys on second with less than two outs this weekend. Either way, we tried to move the runners a good bit and we failed way too often. This was against multiple pitchers and catchers, so we weren't necessarily facing a particularly nasty pickoff move or a one stud catcher. It does not appear that UK, to date, is going to be an amazing hitting team and it doesn't appear that we'll have a ton of power throughout the lineup. So, we will need to rely on getting those runners moving to increase our scoring chances. Giving away outs on the bases, especially at this rate, is just outright unacceptable.

Weekend starters as first base coaches. It was mentioned during the games by a couple people. I don't mind the players being there, but weekend starters makes no sense to me. As someone else mentioned, a hard line drive isn't likely, but it still could conceivably catch one of your weekend guys over there and then you're out a starter. Heck, even using pitchers doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You could use a guy like Felker over there who can then pay attention to a pitcher's pickoff move and get that timing down and when you need him to pinch run, he might have seen that pickoff move and be ready to time it up and get a stolen base for you. Then, if you want to possibly pinch hit him you can swap him for someone else prior to that inning. That just makes a lot more sense to me than using a pitcher, much less a starting weekend guy.
Nice summary Comebak. I’ll give it a couple weeks to see where we are offensively. Certainly if things don’t fall in place this will be Mingione’s last year. I’ve been beating the same dead horse for what 2-3 years now.

Reactions: dtjr
It's funny I'm seeing some Miss State fans on Twitter talking about how they are pissed because Lemonis isn't more aggressive on the basepaths and never bunts. So... I guess maybe we should just be happy we are winning.

It's funny I'm seeing some Miss State fans on Twitter talking about how they are pissed because Lemonis isn't more aggressive on the basepaths and never bunts. So... I guess maybe we should just be happy we are winning.

I think State fans are ready to run Lemonis out on a rail.

Reactions: SeanCain

I imagine there is a happy medium between bunting your 4 hole multiple times a game and not doing it at all. Lol

Seems like they might want to worry about pitching given that in their two losses they have up 14 and 11. Aggressive base running ain't going to fix that.

Reactions: Cats8585
I imagine there is a happy medium between bunting your 4 hole multiple times a game and not doing it at all. Lol

Seems like they might want to worry about pitching given that in their two losses they have up 14 and 11. Aggressive base running ain't going to fix that.
Ha, true. Might also have something to do with why they haven't been bunting.

How accurate are the stats on the UKathletics site? Feels like they are at least not correct in a few ways.

Any word on alcohol sales? Prices, etc. Curious to see how this pans out for baseball and softball as it relates to the other sports getting the revenue as well.

$10 for a mich ultra, $9 for a 16 oz Bud Light can. I think the folks comparing it to MLB and NFL and saying it's normal are missing the point. People are going to those anyway. If part of the inspiration is getting more folks to come out, I can't see anyone saying 'hey I'm going to the game today for the opportunity to buy 9 dollar beers'. Charge 5 bucks and let's get some butts in the seats.

$10 for a mich ultra, $9 for a 16 oz Bud Light can. I think the folks comparing it to MLB and NFL and saying it's normal are missing the point. People are going to those anyway. If part of the inspiration is getting more folks to come out, I can't see anyone saying 'hey I'm going to the game today for the opportunity to buy 9 dollar beers'. Charge 5 bucks and let's get some butts in the seats.

Definitely. They need to take a page from minor league baseball and do promotions, and possibly even some that are student orientated to get them there as well. Let's face it... KPP is not a student section friendly stadium, so if you want students to be there the powers that be need to do something to attract them and 9 dollars a beer isn't going to do it.

You know what irks me. If I missed it last night then I apologize. But I just went to all 4 major news stations and no one has anything on the game from yesterday except 36.

Definitely. They need to take a page from minor league baseball and do promotions, and possibly even some that are student orientated to get them there as well. Let's face it... KPP is not a student section friendly stadium, so if you want students to be there the powers that be need to do something to attract them and 9 dollars a beer isn't going to do it.
If you want to improve attendance it’s pretty simple, field a winning team.

You know what irks me. If I missed it last night then I apologize. But I just went to all 4 major news stations and no one has anything on the game from yesterday except 36.
I think Matt Jones said on KSR today that they were there for the alcohol sales storyline. This time of year the sports crews are fixated on college basketball.

Reactions: cats1068
If you want to improve attendance it’s pretty simple, field a winning team.
I generally agree and think that's the most important factor, but I also think it's easier to get players that lead to a winning team when you have a good atmosphere to recruit them to.

Winning is definitely the most important thing, but I think alcohol sales will help. People like to have a cold beer when watching a baseball game (even if it costs $10).

I think UK does a bad job of promoting baseball, but I think UK baseball is a hidden gem. I have basketball, football, and baseball season tickets, and UK baseball is one of my favorite outings b/c it's a cheap date with good weather and top quality competition. If we could ever get our baseball program at the same level as our football and basketball program it will be a lot of fun.

Winning is definitely the most important thing, but I think alcohol sales will help. People like to have a cold beer when watching a baseball game (even if it costs $10).

I think UK does a bad job of promoting baseball, but I think UK baseball is a hidden gem. I have basketball, football, and baseball season tickets, and UK baseball is one of my favorite outings b/c it's a cheap date with good weather and top quality competition. If we could ever get our baseball program at the same level as our football and basketball program it will be a lot of fun.
If UK had a consistent winning team, KPP would be packed every game.

Reactions: cats1068
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT