ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Wednesday Insider Notes

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Alrighty folks, I'm down with a breakthrough COVID case at the worst time of year work-wise. Fortunately Tylenol/ibuprofen is keeping it in check (I really miss being able to smell and taste food - didn't expect that symptom to be so tough to adjust to) and the grind will continue...

** On Naasir Watkins going into the portal I'm told this was not a surprise. So for the last couple of years I have just always gotten the sense that Watkins was pretty much done contributing for UK. He had a couple of significant injuries and I think that set him back. That was my suspicion. He's going into the portal because he still wants to give football another shot. But when people had been asking about tackles for next year (I think it'll be two of Dare, Buford, and Flax starting) I never said Watkins. Just know this is not a loss that is going to hurt Kentucky's plan. They've known his situation for a long time.

** Hearing that Kentucky very likely will have another receiver lined up for next year. Can share that but not a name yet. I said in another thread today that he would have gotten preseason 2022 all-conference hype at the place he's currently at if he were not going into the portal. Travis was first to get that info and I hear from elsewhere just after that so good confirmation. Not in the portal yet but seems like he's going to be.

** As for Watkins, I could see it going a number of ways. Some chatter that if Satterfield is not going to be there and Brohm may be going to UofL then he could just return to UofL. That would be a nice result for everybody. I think Kentucky likes Watkins but you are talking about replacing Wan'Dale and Josh Ali, your top two guys, and you're only taking probably one more WR from the portal. Taj Harris is going to be a really nice option for them next year but he's got to finish strong and take care of business between now and then. I don't know that we had mentioned that before and I've got it from enough people now that I feel compelled to mention it just so you have a realistic view.

Even if Taj is good to go let's say you're banking on Harris to be the equivalent of either Ali or Wan'Dale (he's probably better than Ali and not as good as Wan'Dale). Where is Watkins relative to what you're losing? I think if they took him very early in the portal cycle they would pretty much be accepting a WR corps that is not upgraded or maybe even equal to this year's. So in being patient they are going for the bigger play and as of now it looks like it might pay off. (This other guy is probably also not Wan'Dale but he's closer to Wan'Dale than I think even Taj is, impact-wise).

The relationship between Vaughn and Marrow is very strong and they've been in contact through this. Watkins is going to play for a good college football program next year, that much is assuredly going to happen.

** Kentucky is back in the mix for Auburn, Ala., OL Drew Bobo. His dad is out. It was Virginia, Kentucky, Auburn, and UGA before he decided on Auburn. What I'm hearing is that it's probably going to be Kentucky or Georgia down the stretch. Him picking Auburn over UK does not mean UGA has the advantage now --- because he went with Auburn because of his dad, not because of the logo. Remember he's very close with Wolford and spent a lot of time over at his place during the 2020 covid year when they were both in South Carolina. Kentucky loves him and I think it's going to be close. Will keep you updated.

** Believe Kiyaunta Goodwin is solid with UK. Even though he is visiting Michigan State on 12/10 again. I am very confident that Goodwin is very solid with UK.

** I'd give Kentucky a good chance with Deone Walker after more conversations. Not saying it's done or anything like that but if I were Mark Stoops, I wouldn't want to trade places with another school right now.

** From what I've heard UK is probably going to be looking at taking about six guys from the portal altogether. Already have Harris.

** Someone reached out to me yesterday and mentioned that UK/Liam Coen had been in contact with Zack Perkins, young offensive tackle from Maryland. However, I don't think UK considers him a top tier target at this point.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News