ADVERTISEMENT

We might be better.

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
I’ve read all over social media about how terry with all his experience was our best hope for a great season at QB. I’ve read we now have a back up that hasn’t played an sec game blah blah blah. I have a different view.

Last season we took a Juco QB and whipped Florida in the swamp. A guy who hasn’t played an sec game. I’ve read Wilson’s injury is “bad news” for our season. “We are sunk”. I say hogwash! Terry was getting better but he was far from being a great qb. I would say he is average given his limitations in the passing game. If we apply last years logic to this year we are in even better shape at QB than we were his time last year.

Sawyer is a grad transfer who player in FBS div1 last year. He’s not an underclass man transfer, he’s not a freshman back up. He’s a guy who knows how to win. We have a receiving Corp far better than last seasons and I have no doubt that we will be a better offensive team if Gran plays to smiths strengths. I remember last year terry starting horribly against cent Michigan and hoak brought in leading us on a scoring drive. After that terry was right back in the game.

Wilson was going to be the starter last year no matter what. Same with this year. Loyalty though doesn’t mean that’s whats best for a team. I’ll be honest, I am more excited now for this season than I was a week ago. Terry can manage in grans offense but I believe now we have more upside offensively. It doesn’t take Vince Lombardi to see that sawyer smith can throw the ball with nice touch, accuracy and zip. The guy has good size and is mobile. I don’t see us struggling to score points like last year now. Now will Gran properly utilize smith? Will he fit into stoops ball control philosophy? I think he will but imo everything I have seen of him before he ended up at UK and last week leads me to believe physically he’s better than Wilson or even Stephen Johnson. I think he has the mentality Bc winning is a habit and regardless of last year’s competition it was a heckuva a lot better than competition in Juco.

I’m stoked. I think we will go to another level with a gunslinger.

I slightly disagree, Wilson made some really crazy throws if you go back and watch that UF game last year. So he was really looking good last year before he got injured. Although I do agree the season is not over and I’ve liked from the limited action so far from Smith. The dude can throw and between Bowden and Wagner I like our receivers vs any college team. So maybe the bombs Wilson was missing Saturday with more reps with the starters this week Smith can hit some of them this Saturday. If so watch out could be a heck of a game/ team going forward.

I’ve read all over social media about how terry with all his experience was our best hope for a great season at QB. I’ve read we now have a back up that hasn’t played an sec game blah blah blah. I have a different view.

Last season we took a Juco QB and whipped Florida in the swamp. A guy who hasn’t played an sec game. I’ve read Wilson’s injury is “bad news” for our season. “We are sunk”. I say hogwash! Terry was getting better but he was far from being a great qb. I would say he is average given his limitations in the passing game. If we apply last years logic to this year we are in even better shape at QB than we were his time last year.

Sawyer is a grad transfer who player in FBS div1 last year. He’s not an underclass man transfer, he’s not a freshman back up. He’s a guy who knows how to win. We have a receiving Corp far better than last seasons and I have no doubt that we will be a better offensive team if Gran plays to smiths strengths. I remember last year terry starting horribly against cent Michigan and hoak brought in leading us on a scoring drive. After that terry was right back in the game.

Wilson was going to be the starter last year no matter what. Same with this year. Loyalty though doesn’t mean that’s whats best for a team. I’ll be honest, I am more excited now for this season than I was a week ago. Terry can manage in grans offense but I believe now we have more upside offensively. It doesn’t take Vince Lombardi to see that sawyer smith can throw the ball with nice touch, accuracy and zip. The guy has good size and is mobile. I don’t see us struggling to score points like last year now. Now will Gran properly utilize smith? Will he fit into stoops ball control philosophy? I think he will but imo everything I have seen of him before he ended up at UK and last week leads me to believe physically he’s better than Wilson or even Stephen Johnson. I think he has the mentality Bc winning is a habit and regardless of last year’s competition it was a heckuva a lot better than competition in Juco.

Honestly I’ve hadn’t heard any negative like that at all. It seems the fans hate the injury but feel like it’s the first time that we had a backup with experience. No hang wringing here that I can see.

I think Wilson was in for a big year, I hate it that he is going to miss a whole year of his college career. He was a big plus in the running game, but I think we have some great RBs, and they and Bowden can also run the Wildcat. Smoke's ceiling looks unlimited AND we have another proven RB along wit another promising RS frosh, and maybe they can teach Smoke how to throw a ten yard pass, after all that is farther than Hartline could throw it, lol.

I think Wilson was in for a big year, I hate it that he is going to miss a whole year of his college career. He was a big plus in the running game, but I think we have some great RBs, and they and Bowden can also run the Wildcat. Smoke's ceiling looks unlimited AND we have another proven RB along wit another promising RS frosh, and maybe they can teach Smoke how to throw a ten yard pass, after all that is farther than Hartline could throw it, lol.

Still hating on poor Hartline, lol.

I’ll wait to make a judgement after Saturday’s game. I am encouraged by his throws in the 4th quarter and his film that I’ve seen.

Wonder if we can get Epps back this week? With Sawyers big arm, that could be a big deep threat.

Let me preface this by saying that I love Terry Wilson. I think he has a lot of potential, and he has helped UK win a lot of games.

That being said:

Before this season, seemed like many metrics and media outlets had TW pegged as one of, if not the worst starting QB in the SEC (which I 110% disagree with, but that's a different discussion). We love his athleticism and leadership, but the fact of the matter is that his arm left a lot to be desired last season. Did I think he would have addressed some of that this season? Absolutely. I think he could have been in the top half of the SEC as a QB. That said, what Sawyer Smith showed everybody in 9 passing attempts is extremely promising. He provided as much passing touchdown production in 1 quarter that Wilson had provided in 7 quarters of football. In 1 quarter, 9 passing attempts total (one of them being a very smart throwaway), he showed excellent decision-making, terrific touch on the deep ball, an ability to throw receivers open (an outstanding ability to have as a QB), and quickness with his feet. He's no Wilson with his legs, but the boy is built and he can move quickly. I think Wilson slings it harder in the intermediate passing game, but his deep ball doesn't get as much air time, either. Makes it very difficult for receivers to change speeds, judge the ball correctly, and get under it, assuming they're not overthrown. If you're looking for a QB on our roster to throw a jump ball, the better option is Smith because his long ball gets more air under it (which is terrific for somebody like Wagner, who is 6'6, 235 pounds, and very physical with some nice hops to him.)

Some people are obviously concerned. With Wilson, you know what you have. Not a luxury that fans have with Smith. Unknown doesn't necessarily mean worse though. That said, looking around, a lot of people like the promise of Smith in the passing game. Fact of the matter is that he's a more proven passer than Wilson is. Some may argue that it could hurt the running game, but I can't necessarily agree with that immediately, either. There were countless games last season where Wilson's inability to throw the ball accurately allowed teams to load the box on us. Sawyer won't be as electric in the open field, but he is more than fast enough to make teams stay disciplined in their pass rushing lanes, and make them respect the contain assignment of the RPO.

I'm optimistic about Smith's ability. Very optimistic, even.

Based on what I have seen so far, we are miles better at nearly every position right now than we were in 2016 after game 2 when Drew Barker went out for the year and we were forced to play Stephen Johnson. We ended up 4-4 in the SEC that year, and went to a nice bowl in Florida. So long as Sawyer is at least a competent passer, and he seems to be, we are not short of good running backs to hand off to. We may not win Saturday, and in truth, we may not have even if TW had not gotten hurt, but I am not throwing in the towel on the season just yet.

Let me preface this by saying that I love Terry Wilson. I think he has a lot of potential, and he has helped UK win a lot of games.

That being said:

Before this season, seemed like many metrics and media outlets had TW pegged as one of, if not the worst starting QB in the SEC (which I 110% disagree with, but that's a different discussion). We love his athleticism and leadership, but the fact of the matter is that his arm left a lot to be desired last season. Did I think he would have addressed some of that this season? Absolutely. I think he could have been in the top half of the SEC as a QB. That said, what Sawyer Smith showed everybody in 9 passing attempts is extremely promising. He provided as much passing touchdown production in 1 quarter that Wilson had provided in 7 quarters of football. In 1 quarter, 9 passing attempts total (one of them being a very smart throwaway), he showed excellent decision-making, terrific touch on the deep ball, an ability to throw receivers open (an outstanding ability to have as a QB), and quickness with his feet. He's no Wilson with his legs, but the boy is built and he can move quickly. I think Wilson slings it harder in the intermediate passing game, but his deep ball doesn't get as much air time, either. Makes it very difficult for receivers to change speeds, judge the ball correctly, and get under it, assuming they're not overthrown. If you're looking for a QB on our roster to throw a jump ball, the better option is Smith because his long ball gets more air under it (which is terrific for somebody like Wagner, who is 6'6, 235 pounds, and very physical with some nice hops to him.)

Some people are obviously concerned. With Wilson, you know what you have. Not a luxury that fans have with Smith. Unknown doesn't necessarily mean worse though. That said, looking around, a lot of people like the promise of Smith in the passing game. Fact of the matter is that he's a more proven passer than Wilson is. Some may argue that it could hurt the running game, but I can't necessarily agree with that immediately, either. There were countless games last season where Wilson's inability to throw the ball accurately allowed teams to load the box on us. Sawyer won't be as electric in the open field, but he is more than fast enough to make teams stay disciplined in their pass rushing lanes, and make them respect the contain assignment of the RPO.

I'm optimistic about Smith's ability. Very optimistic, even.

The fake media knows nothing, I would think everyone here would agree with that by now.

All due respect, you are deluding yourself. If Smith was the better player, he would have been the starter in the first place. I respect Smith and I am glad he is around to inherit the starting job. He will surprise some people. But Wilson was our ticket to another 10 win season.

All due respect, you are deluding yourself. If Smith was the better player, he would have been the starter in the first place. I respect Smith and I am glad he is around to inherit the starting job. He will surprise some people. But Wilson was our ticket to another 10 win season.
I think it could have easily been a case where there wasn’t much separation between Wilson and Smith in the Spring but obviously in a case like that, the returning starter with 10 wins under his belt and a full understanding of the playbook is going to win the job. Doesn’t necessarily mean he is head and shoulders the better quarterback IMO.

I have no idea if that was the case but just throwing out a possible scenario.

I think it could have easily been a case where there wasn’t much separation between Wilson and Smith in the Spring but obviously in a case like that, the returning starter with 10 wins under his belt and a full understanding of the playbook is going to win the job. Doesn’t necessarily mean he is head and shoulders the better quarterback IMO.

I have no idea if that was the case but just throwing out a possible scenario.

"I have no idea if that is the case, but just throwing out a possibility". What is that supposed to mean?

Wilson is 12-4 as our starting qback. He is being replaced by a guy who wasn't even with our team in the spring.

I think Sawyer Smith may turn out to be a pleasant surprise. I predict he will take us to another bowl. The schedule is favorable, our oline is very good, and our receivers are better than anyone thought.

But if you really believe there "wasn't much separation" between a starting qback with a 12-4 record and a guy who just got here from Troy, that is a fantasy.

"I have no idea if that is the case, but just throwing out a possibility". What is that supposed to mean?

Wilson is 12-4 as our starting qback. He is being replaced by a guy who wasn't even with our team in the spring.

I think Sawyer Smith may turn out to be a pleasant surprise. I predict he will take us to another bowl. The schedule is favorable, our oline is very good, and our receivers are better than anyone thought.

But if you really believe there "wasn't much separation" between a starting qback with a 12-4 record and a guy who just got here from Troy, that is a fantasy.
Is it a fantasy? We will see in about 5 days.

Well, if CMS thought we’d be better with Sawyer Smith playing I guess he’d have already been starting. I doubt we’re better but that doesn’t mean we can’t have a great season. We just might have to do it a little differently. In Gran we trust.

Reactions: Rembrandt90

I mean that in terms of skill set as a QB, it’s entirely possible that there is not much separation between Smith and Wilson. The intangibles were no doubt in Wilson’s favor in terms of experience and familiarity with the playbook, coaching staff, etc and there was no way anyone that UK could have conceivably brought in would have beat him out for the staring job. That does not necessarily mean that Wilson was/is heads and shoulders above Smith as a QB. Sorry if I’m not explaining myself coherently.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
Sawyer Smith may not be an all american and TW was an athlete, could def. Gain some rushing yards.....Terry played VERY well against UF last year....but also played an entire game against Vandy throwing for 18 total yards and had 3 games throwing less than 100 yards last season. He showed some potential but QB play was pretty shaky as far as the passing game all year. Run Bowden Jr in the wildcat some to fill part of the gap. SS is likely the better passing QB overall. This being said...he hasn't played in the SEC and we won't know how he adjusts until he plays a few games. Regardless, this is now Sawyer's team to lead, I'm pulling hard for him to succeed and pulling hard for TW to make a full recovery and have another shot at things in the future.

I think the gnashing of teeth is mainly with the national guys.
What’s it matter what they think anyways. Isn’t the National media the ones that has us only winning like 4 games. So were they really thinking we’d win 10 and just didn’t want to give us the props

Sawyer looks promising. BUT regardless of ability, it takes time for a QB and the receivers to get chemistry and on the same page. A lot of things need to be ironed out before Saturday.

You’re right. We win Saturday with our defense and running game. I think sawyer makes a couple big throws though

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

12-3

We'll learn a lot on Saturday.
I agree with this/ I hope he plays all world but we won't know until Saturday. he didn't look bad in the Quarter he played. We do know he wasn't pushing TW for the starting job. Hopefully when the lights come on he gets into another zone

I think it’s a little silly to assume this might make us better. I presume if the coaching staff thought Smith made us better, he would’ve been starting in the first place.

Reactions: bratboy
I don't think Smith was going to get to take a real shot at Wilson until this coming Spring, but now this...

I understand where the OP is coming from. He really does seem like he might make us better in the passing game, perhaps even in the option run game. TWs option run reads are not the best at times.

At the same time, questions remain to be answered. Is he versed in the entire playbook? Seems likely he probably isn't, to some greater or lesser degree. How much, if any, chemistry has he developed with the receivers?

I still think Wilson has more upside than Smith. However, if Smith proves a baller of SEC caliber, Wilson's future will certainly become interesting. This knee injury is robbing him of an entire year of development. Hell, he might not be able to run in Spring.

Your QB competition for 2020 might end up effectively being Smith, Wood, Gilmore, Allen. Really sad, to be sure, if it comes to that.

Hope everything you are saying about SS turns out great. Last year against Central Michigan Gunnar came in threw some good balls. Then he threw some very bad balls. He didn't come rite back out. He played himself back to the bench. Don't think you care much for TT. Just hope SS plays great.

I think Terry Wilson was going to have a fantastic year. He seemed more in control of the offense, he seemed more confident in his decision making. Listen, other than Bowden he has a lot of new receivers out there. Look at the drops in the game before he got hurt. It’s just a damn shame and I absolutely hate it for him and his moms and family because they are just some very nice people. You look at this team, man we recruit some great kids. They are humble, hungry and hard workers. It just sucks when stuff like this happens but we have 10 more games to play. I think Sawyer will be fine. His receivers just gotta start catching the ball. I don’t see any reason why we still can’t go out and execute and win 10 games or more. We are in uncharted waters here as fans. We’ve always seen one or two injuries just wreck a season. We now have SEC caliber depth at most positions so the dropoff should be minimal. I’m not gonna sit here and say “We might be better” because that’s just a veiled insult at TW. Let’s move past the pettiness. I’m still excited for this team and this week will be a great test of our teams’ character, depth, athleticism and desire. I think we are the better team, we just need to play with confidence and not turn the ball over.

Anyone whos saying we will or will not be better is completley guessing.

At the very least, we're damn lucky smith transferred in.

Even if he was head and shoulders better than Terry Wilson, i highly highly doubt stoops would have named him starter over a healthy returning 10 win qb. We shall see, luckily, he wont be depended on to win the game..just dont lose it.

I think it’s a little silly to assume this might make us better. I presume if the coaching staff thought Smith made us better, he would’ve been starting in the first place.
Drew Bledsoe started over Tom Brady in 2001 for New England. Is Sawyer Smith a Tom Brady? Highly doubtful, of course, but then one would have had modest expectations of Brady back in 2001. Point is, though it's rare, sometimes, in retrospect, the backup would have been a better choice in the first place.

Drew Bledsoe started over Tom Brady in 2001 for New England. Is Sawyer Smith a Tom Brady? Highly doubtful, of course, but then one would have had modest expectations of Brady back in 2001. Point is, though it's rare, sometimes, in retrospect, the backup would have been a better choice in the first place.

I’m not saying it’s never happened, but note that you did just go back 19 years to cite an example. Kurt Warner took over for an injured Trent Green and the result was The Greatest Show on Turf. But those examples are few and far between. Usually the coaches make the decision on who the starter is based on who they think gives their team the best chance to win.

I hope Sawyer Smith is Tom Brady or Kurt Warner. I just don’t think it’s reasonable to expect the team to be better, usually the backup is the backup because the starter is better. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT