ADVERTISEMENT

We know it's about who is ponying up the money!

wccat2969

Junior
Apr 8, 2009
Apparently John Tyson stepped in and brought in Cal at Arkansas. Supposedly (if true), Tang was not who they wanted. Is the UK search solely up to Mitch or at what point do the people with the money step in and dictate who we get? Would they be ok with a Scott Drew?

You better believe Mitch is constantly talking to our big donors on this.

Also the ones Cal ran off trying to get them back

Reactions: wccat2969
Sounds like Cal had alienated several of the big bball boosters and now that he's gone, they'll be back so money won't be an issue.

So the money will be there to go for the home run hire.

Thank you Mr. Tyson, I might eat me some of your chicken for lunch out of appreciation. As unpredictable and scary as the future is it is better than the past which had it own lifecycle chart that was highly predictable and very depressing.

It's about the money to an extent. UK already pays top dollar and is willing to pay top dollar without needing money from boosters. Anyone who chooses not to come here is not doing it because the money wasn't good enough...they would not be coming for other reasons.

The Cal Tyson connection is just a lucky coincidence for Arkansas. Who knew? I had never heard of the friendship.

In world those two don't know each other, he's probably still here.

From what I've read I think Arkansas was getting turned down, and most likely would have never made a play on Cal, that's just not how things traditionally work. Lower tier programs don't call a blue blood coach. Generally speaking, they have no shot. It just so happened a multi-billionaire alum had a direct and close personal connection.

Arkansas has always had the ability to tap endless money via the Waltons, Jerry Jones, and Tyson, but they haven't. Why aren't they the premier destination for coaches and talent?

I just don't think the appetite to blank check/float collegiate athletics is there for the elite wealth. If that were the case, the really rich alumni base programs would be a lot more successful than they are. Honestly, it's kind of opposite when you look at where most of the sustained success over time is concentrated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT