ADVERTISEMENT

We have THREE 7-footers ….

megablue

All-SEC
Oct 2, 2012
… and do NOT have a CENTER, unless we find out whether Z can post up with a solid vocabulary of ways to score. We do not need another three-point shooter. His footwork off the high screen PNR was there last night, as he rolled to the basket, but we didn’t throw it to him. Let’s find out if he has a hook, finger-roll, step back Jokic baby-J, can use the square, etc …

Last edited:
We don't use them as post up centers, but I think Ugo and Z have some ability there. AB doesn't have the heft yet.
I agree. I do not think we have to post them up the entire game, OF COURSE. I really like the ability to go 5-out and open the lane and let people drive, but we simply HAVE to have the ability to score down low when match-ups allow it and/or the opponent is preventing us from getting to the basket. Anthony Davis and KAT did not play outside that much when they were here, like they do now. This is NOT the NBA. College teams adjust and present different problems for you ... it is much more a schematic game.

Last edited:
Z might have some inside game but not entirely sure. He took one shot from 12 feet last night and almost looked like he blindly threw it at the goal. Was not a good looking shot at all. He does have great touch from outside though. I’d like to see him getting 25/game moving forward. Have to figure he needs a little time to adjust to the physicality of CBB but we need him ready for March and have about 6 weeks left to prepare for that. He brings so much more to the table than does Bradshaw/ugo. Like to see Z be our 32-35 minute guy in the middle when it matters most. Never gonna happen with cal though, he’s going to ride Wagner/bradshaw/Edwards to a season of disappointment.

I think cal is getting ready to double down on Edwards and start to see his minutes increase back instead of the other way around.

Reactions: megablue
That's all offense talk. We NEED a rim protector! WTH are they teaching our bigs?? Where's the weak side help? Where's the stopper inside on in-bounds play under their basket?

Our offense will be fine. But we're going nowhere with our D as it now is.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
… and do NOT have a CENTER, unless we find out whether Z can post up with a solid vocabulary of ways to score. We do not need another three-point shooter. His footwork off the high screen PNR was there last night, as he rolled to the basket, but we didn’t throw it to him. Let’s find out if he has a hook, finger-roll, step back Jokic baby-J, can use the square, etc …
The problem is Cal doesn't run a traditional offense, he throws the ball out there and expects them to just make plays, then after a game like this calls them selfish etc. When you have young players you have to put them in positions to make those plays other wise it becomes a playground game.

Mitchell is our only post up center. And he's not a center.

The jury is still out on Z if he had space to operate.

Ugo had one lucky jump hook from 10 feet, but he and AB are not operators in the paint.

Frankly, Mitchell is the only player we have that I'd trust to back down into the paint to get a bucket.

A team with 3 seven footers should have a post up game instead of living and dying from the outside shot. Going back to Rupp, Joe B. Ricky P all had big men inside posting up.

Reactions: bnewt
We...as fans...have yelled at Calipari for having a lane clogger in the lineup. We cannot...as fans...yell at Calipari for not having a lane clogger too.

We do not have a lane enforcer this season in the games I have seen. AB, ZI, nor UO are those guys. UO maybe the closest thing to an enforcer in the post, but he is not a good enough passer out of the post to warrant playing him with his back to the basket.

IMO, Mitchell is the best bet for a back to the basket big. But, rebounding and rim protection take hits. We gotta hope we improve defensively - staying in front of the ball - and rebounding. With our current roster, we are not going to win prison ball games unless we hit shots or get tougher.

Time to play ugo as a legit center and Mitchell at the 4. We have no strength inside. Height is meaningless with no beef to back it up. I’d strapem up with our depth and run 40 min of hell.

Mitchell is our only post up center. And he's not a center.

The jury is still out on Z if he had space to operate.

Ugo had one lucky jump hook from 10 feet, but he and AB are not operators in the paint.

Frankly, Mitchell is the only player we have that I'd trust to back down into the paint to get a bucket.
I agree 100% … gotta find out if Z can play down low …

This team would steamroll South Carolina if Pitino coached the defense by pressing and allow the press be your offense. 3 point shooting does not beat you when guards can’t get the ball past mid court.
Pitino has not pressed in years … nobody regularly presses any more. Most teams eat the press up.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
When you have 7-footers going up against 6’8” you should take advantage of it …
I'm not against that, as long as the 7 footer has the post up game for the size to actually make him have an offensive advantage. I'm just saying there are guards that are a load for another guard to defend in the post and one of the two best post players I've ever seen was about 6'4" and not every seven footer has the game to have an edge against every 6'8" player.

I still do think he has a high ceiling but we'll probably never see it. I just hope we get a lot more out of him by March.
I agree we most likely will not see it here. He wants to shoot outside so he just does not have the weight to play the post as he will get pushed around a lot. I would start Ugo and then bring in Big Z .

Reactions: NociHTTP
I think it's funny that only about a week ago so many posters were screaming that we just need more offense and screw defense, rebounding and...basketball. I hate that game and that we lost but it just proves my point, that we can't just shoot the lights out on every night, against every opponent. It's not stall ball to throw the ball in to the bigs, esecially if we're not getting open from outside. I was screaming to play two bigs, force it to them and kick it out if the easy bucket wasn't there, all night.

I'm not against that, as long as the 7 footer has the post up game for the size to actually make him have an offensive advantage. I'm just saying there are guards that are a load for another guard to defend in the post and one of the two best post players I've ever seen was about 6'4" and not every seven footer has the game to have an edge against every 6'8" player.
I agree and understand … my original post was questioning whether Z can play down low, or not. We’ve not tried him down there yet … I am not at it practice, so I certainly do not know what he can do … but I’d like to see us try it in a game … that way, we’ll know.

Reactions: ukfan1622
I agree and understand … my original post was questioning whether Z can play down low, or not. We’ve not tried him down there yet … I am not at it practice, so I certainly do not know what he can do … but I’d like to see us try it in a game … that way, we’ll know.
The one time he did try it against USCjr looked like it was his first try. :) I'm sure he can do better.

We do NOT need a C with post-up moves. Mitchell can do that (very nice up & under move, & solid jump hook). We NEED a C who can DEFEND the other team's C, and who can REBOUND, and who can protect the rim. If he can do those things, I don't care if he doesn't score a point (although some scoring would be nice) and definitely don't care where he scores from.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT