ADVERTISEMENT

We clean up this stat and it's a 20 pt win...

FWIW we've ran into some beasts on the boards.

Auburn ranks 20th overall in offensive rebounding %

Miss St is 2nd. They rebound nearly 40% of their misses. We held them to 37.8%. So slightly less than their average.

The bulk of those boards tho came at the very end where they seemingly got one on every possession in those last 2 mins. It's not an excuse but for all purposes the game was already over.

We did well in the 1st half.

Bigger issue IMO is this is a poor shooting team. One of the poorest in the Cal era and it's really gonna determine just how far we go in the tournament.
Yet IQ, Maxey and Sestina are all capable of hitting 3-4 3s in a game as they have all done that this season.

This team doesn't live and die by the 3 like some. In fact we won by 8 last night while never trailing and went 1 for 10 from deep.

Yet IQ, Maxey and Sestina are all capable of hitting 3-4 3s in a game as they have all done that this season.

This team doesn't live and die by the 3 like some. In fact we won by 8 last night while never trailing and went 1 for 10 from deep.

I'm good with the 3 point shooting because we don't take many. So it's not gonna kill us.

But we are only making 50.9% from 2 this season. That's just very meh and it limits just how far we can go with offensive efficiency.

Reactions: ScrooDook92
IMO we re not going to be a strong rebounding team this season. At all. Nick is by far our best rebounder , but he is prone to getting moved by larger bodied players. After that we dont even have a solid rebounder . Period. We play a 3 G lineup .. AH rebounds VERY well. the other two not hardly at all. That leaves EJ and Nate . Ugh .

Reactions: Graced 1
IMO we re not going to be a strong rebounding team this season. At all. Nick is by far our best rebounder , but he is prone to getting moved by larger bodied players. After that we dont even have a solid rebounder . Period. We play a 3 G lineup .. AH rebounds VERY well. the other two not hardly at all. That leaves EJ and Nate . Ugh .

Yep exactly.

But if we aren't getting those rebounds we normally get on offense, all the more important to either A) Shoot better or B) not turn the ball over. Preferably both lol

Reactions: ManitouDan
Even bigger issue is defense.

We are 28th in offensive efficiency.
We are 61st in defensive efficiency.

We are 61st despite allowing teams to just shoot an effective FG% of 44% on the season. Ranked 17th.

The problem is we don't turn teams over at all and we were merely average in defensive rebounding and defensive free throw rate.

Yep exactly.

But if we aren't getting those rebounds we normally get on offense, all the more important to either A) Shoot better or B) not turn the ball over. Preferably both lol

mai what you’re saying is that if we shoot better and don’t turn the ball over, we’ll be a better team? Would love to get your resume for some open coaching positions.

I’m just messing with you btw.

Reactions: ScrooDook92
Bigger issue IMO is this is a poor shooting team. One of the poorest in the Cal era and it's really gonna determine just how far we go in the tournament.
Yeah it's weird considering Cal said he thought this would be one of his better shooting teams......we start making a few and we finally create some separation and not have as many nail-biters

mai what you’re saying is that if we shoot better and don’t turn the ball over, we’ll be a better team? Would love to get your resume for some open coaching positions.

I’m just messing with you btw.

haha the point is this all boils down to four things
shooting, turnovers, rebounds and getting to the line.

You need to do something well lol.
Obviously if u shoot it better you'll be a better team but the point I was trying to make is since we aren't rebounding at the level we were in the past, it becomes even more important.

Yeah it's weird considering Cal said he thought this would be one of his better shooting teams......we start making a few and we finally create some separation and not have as many nail-biters

I'm wondering if at this rate, we aren't just what we are. We'll have some games where we shoot it well, but at this point I'm not expecting some major transition from what we've been seeing.

I think if improvement happens, it'll be on the defensive end.

My thoughts are that our rebounders are way too concerned with blocking shots. Also too much giving up the lane or the baseline. This puts the frontline out of position.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
My thoughts are that our rebounders are way too concerned with blocking shots. Also too much giving up the lane or the baseline. This puts the frontline out of position.

Yeah the blocking shots plays a role as it typically puts them out of position on the rebounds.

That's always been an issue not just this year but in Cal's tenure as a whole.

I think it's more a byproduct of the 3 guard lineup tho.

Reactions: fatguy87

That's true, but when we get in the tourney and run into a hot 3 pt shooting team we will lose if we don't come close to matching 3pt shooting.

Yeah the blocking shots plays a role as it typically puts them out of position on the rebounds.

That's always been an issue not just this year but in Cal's tenure as a whole.

I think it's more a byproduct of the 3 guard lineup tho.

Yes, and a bit disconcerting out of the man to man. You are exactly right. We have seen this before. Takes a bit of maturity to know what to go after and what not.

We are a poor rebounding team. We are at times poor defensively and we dont shoot it well consistently.
Sweet 16 type of year

Allowed them 17 offensive rebounds....WAY too many..

Made FT's though which made up for it!

We really do a poor job of blocking out. Which is shocking really. It's not a new concept or anything. They start teaching this in grade school and I am pretty sure Coach Cal has mentioned it a time or two to the players.

Meh. "We don't shoot well." "We don't rebound." "We don't turn over teams." "We have defensive lapses."

I heard all that and more about the 2011 team and the 2014 team around this time of the year -- maybe later for 2014.

Celebrate a good win over a team of grown men on the boards. We'll see where this team ends up a month and a half from now. Right now its like looking at a cake in the mixing bowl and saying, "that's inedible."

Reactions: CatEye2010
Even bigger issue is defense.

We are 28th in offensive efficiency.
We are 61st in defensive efficiency.

We are 61st despite allowing teams to just shoot an effective FG% of 44% on the season. Ranked 17th.

The problem is we don't turn teams over at all and we were merely average in defensive rebounding and defensive free throw rate.
These are good points. And another reason I just laugh at all our armchair coaches just begging we go more zone.

IQ came in as a PG. If there's an expectation of him rebounding with a SF, they we will lose that expectation really quick.

I'm good with the 3 point shooting because we don't take many. So it's not gonna kill us.

But we are only making 50.9% from 2 this season. That's just very meh and it limits just how far we can go with offensive efficiency.

That's not bad shooting! In fact 50.9% is pretty darn good for a team without an Incredible Hulk in the low post.

It wasn't just the stat, there was a stretch between 5-10 minutes left in the second half where they probably had 6 or 7 O-REB's. Looked to me like effort/laziness/fatigue.

That's not bad shooting! In fact 50.9% is pretty darn good for a team without an Incredible Hulk in the low post.

It's not the worst figure in the world but we've only had two years were we shot worse under Cal. 2011 and 2014. But 2011 despite the 2 point shooting was one of our best three point shooting teams which more than covered it up. 2011 we didn't turn it over either......we ranked 10th overall in turnover % on offense that year.

2014 we rebounded 42% of our misses. 2nd in the nation. So a missed shot that year actually turned into pretty good offense.

Proof that you can get by shooting not so great if u do other things well. But this year we are merely good at offensive rebounding and turnovers, not great.

A poor shooting team, in my opinion, is a team that lacks effective shooters. We have good shooters, we simply don't take very many 3's (7th fewest attempts in the country I believe) and some of the shots we do take are questionable.

IQ, Sestina, and Maxey are all good shooters. Hagans is improved in that area as well, you can't just leave him open like you could last year. Juzang is the best shooter on the team, but hasn't shown it yet. He needs some confidence.

It all boils down to decision making, which in my opinion is our biggest flaw on offense. If we can get that cleaned up, I think our shooting percentage would skyrocket provided the correct people are taking the shots.

And several of the misses are from 3 feet and less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT