ADVERTISEMENT

We’re getting carried away step back

Apr 12, 2024
I lost my sht tonight like most of you and we have good reason, but there’s a few points I feel we should have understood.

1. Mitch Barnhart, whether or not this hire turns out, has got to be removed from his job. He is simply not cut out to be the AD of a major SEC program any way you cut it. The coaches and programs he went after solidify that Mitch has way more on his mind than winning at the highest level, and you can’t compete in this conference with one arm tied behind your back. To be a competent SEC AD you have to play in gray areas and roll the dice sometimes. He’s not fit for this, he’s fit for a smaller private college. The revenue generated by this conference is the reason for most of his successes, and I don’t know how much more clear that could be, it’s nothing he’s doing.

2. We need to hold the line on Pope. Some of you are severely underestimating the power of programs themselves. Pope needs to land a big time 5 star and after that the perception changes complete. It’s the same as the Mashburn era, and it’s still rings true. ONE recruit can change everything.

3. This is also a learning lesson - Bobby Hurley. I don’t think it’s hit many yet, but Hurley was NEVER going to come here, never. “yOu gOtTa tRy” - no, you don’t. You don’t try and poach a guy like that and there are reasons for it. First he would never come. Today it’s a lateral move, or very close to it. It makes your program look like sht. I never wanted the guy anyway, but more than that, it gave Mitch the ability to say “I TRIED, oh well, on to the other guy (which was Pope who in all actuality was SECOND on his list. Barnhart played the fanbase by pretending to go after Hurley. He didn’t pursue Donovan because he knew he might accept it. Barnhart wants more than anything to control all of the athletics programs at UK. You can’t do that with Calipari ( it’s why he didn’t want him), or Donovan. This was set up from the beginning, Barnhart was going to hire a guy who he had control over. Never again attempt to push the idea we need to go after coaches that would be moving laterally. Donovan should have been call #2 from the very first day. Also, this is exactly why I wanted Drew because I saw this scenario a mile away. Drew was the absolute best candidate we could get while Mitch was also going to have control.

4. The reason the boosters weren’t able to get a grip over Barnhart like they had with Calipari is because Calipari’s antics were a lot worse than many realize. Since I’m obviously not allowed to talk about it here I won’t. But I can tell you that he was doing some things that are absolutely pitiful to this program and had to be pushed out. And this allowed Barnhart to have an upper hand because he never wanted him in the first place but was overruled. Our president is a huge problem.

5. Mark Pope - no, I would not have hired him and I do not believe the boosters wanted anyone but Donovan next. That’s my opinion of the situation. But the truth is, this is Kentucky, he’s a brilliant guy who’s been the captain on the greatest team in the history of college basketball. Rick Pitino wasn’t recruiting guys to Kentucky that didn’t fit a mold. He will recruit kids that want to be here, play an exciting style, and I believe will win once he lands his first big recruit. The reason Duke and UNC stay in the family is because programs like ours are machines. Yes, programs still matter they always have and always will. Pope is going to land his first major recruit and that will start the wheels turning.

I just wanted to throw this out there because after calming down I realized that this might be our chance, albeit however small, to land a modern home grown goat. Since the chance is here and there’s nothing we can do about it I’m going to wait it out and see over the next 24 months. Something tells me Pope is the type of brilliant, hardworking, program first alumni that could pay off in insane ways.

But none of that excuses Barnhart.

Let’s pull it together and find out what he’s got. He won’t have long to do it and Kentucky never dies; the next hire will be a big one if it doesn’t work.

I lost my sht tonight like most of you and we have good reason, but there’s a few points I feel we should have understood.

1. Mitch Barnhart, whether or not this hire turns out, has got to be removed from his job. He is simply not cut out to be the AD of a major SEC program any way you cut it. The coaches and programs he went after solidify that Mitch has way more on his mind than winning at the highest level, and you can’t compete in this conference with one arm tied behind your back. To be a competent SEC AD you have to play in gray areas and roll the dice sometimes. He’s not fit for this, he’s fit for a smaller private college. The revenue generated by this conference is the reason for most of his successes, and I don’t know how much more clear that could be, it’s nothing he’s doing.

2. We need to hold the line on Pope. Some of you are severely underestimating the power of programs themselves. Pope needs to land a big time 5 star and after that the perception changes complete. It’s the same as the Mashburn era, and it’s still rings true. ONE recruit can change everything.

3. This is also a learning lesson - Bobby Hurley. I don’t think it’s hit many yet, but Hurley was NEVER going to come here, never. “yOu gOtTa tRy” - no, you don’t. You don’t try and poach a guy like that and there are reasons for it. First he would never come. Today it’s a lateral move, or very close to it. It makes your program look like sht. I never wanted the guy anyway, but more than that, it gave Mitch the ability to say “I TRIED, oh well, on to the other guy (which was Pope who in all actuality was SECOND on his list. Barnhart played the fanbase by pretending to go after Hurley. He didn’t pursue Donovan because he knew he might accept it. Barnhart wants more than anything to control all of the athletics programs at UK. You can’t do that with Calipari ( it’s why he didn’t want him), or Donovan. This was set up from the beginning, Barnhart was going to hire a guy who he had control over. Never again attempt to push the idea we need to go after coaches that would be moving laterally. Donovan should have been call #2 from the very first day. Also, this is exactly why I wanted Drew because I saw this scenario a mile away. Drew was the absolute best candidate we could get while Mitch was also going to have control.

4. The reason the boosters weren’t able to get a grip over Barnhart like they had with Calipari is because Calipari’s antics were a lot worse than many realize. Since I’m obviously not allowed to talk about it here I won’t. But I can tell you that he was doing some things that are absolutely pitiful to this program and had to be pushed out. And this allowed Barnhart to have an upper hand because he never wanted him in the first place but was overruled. Our president is a huge problem.

5. Mark Pope - no, I would not have hired him and I do not believe the boosters wanted anyone but Donovan next. That’s my opinion of the situation. But the truth is, this is Kentucky, he’s a brilliant guy who’s been the captain on the greatest team in the history of college basketball. Rick Pitino wasn’t recruiting guys to Kentucky that didn’t fit a mold. He will recruit kids that want to be here, play an exciting style, and I believe will win once he lands his first big recruit. The reason Duke and UNC stay in the family is because programs like ours are machines. Yes, programs still matter they always have and always will. Pope is going to land his first major recruit and that will start the wheels turning.

I just wanted to throw this out there because after calming down I realized that this might be our chance, albeit however small, to land a modern home grown goat. Since the chance is here and there’s nothing we can do about it I’m going to wait it out and see over the next 24 months. Something tells me Pope is the type of brilliant, hardworking, program first alumni that could pay off in insane ways.

Let’s pull it together and find out what he’s got. He won’t have long to do it and Kentucky never dies; the next hire will be a big one if it doesn’t work.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

This is dead on. And things have been chaotic since the Eli hire as well. Our leadership at high levels is broken and house needs cleaned and replaced with true athletics ppl.

I get it’s an education institution but it’s been proven that enrollments/applications increase 30-50% after final 4s and titles. This allows you to either be more selective thus improving academics….or take a larger student body allowing more revenue. Athletics and academics are tied at public state institutions and the nerdy “academia” types that don’t believe that or prioritize it will kill an athletics dept. It’s a big part of what happened to the downfall of the ACC as a whole

Reactions: RunninRichie
Joined 32 minutes ago? Pope in the name?
Emotion Reaction GIF

I'm on to you, Mark.

1. Mitch has just go to go......the rest of the points are fine....but we have a serious AD problem. He hires name coaches for the Olympic sports but when it comes to basketball and football,,,,,he does crap like this.

Completely doesn't understand the job.....he has to go and we'll deal with rest eventually.

Reactions: reggis1
I think people discount how much budgets factor into some decisions. Barnhart broke the bank on Cal. Sure, it’s UK basketball, and sure it’s the SEC, but seriously, just throwing more and more millions at a coaches is a problem. Kentucky has a huge brand, but Kentucky’s wealth as a state as a whole or as a college as a whole is nothing compared to some other competing colleges. Pay for play is going to continue consuming more and more of an athletic programs budget. Somewhere some money needs to be saved. Rolling the dice on Pope with his extremely high potential vs cost of potential failure was a better long term decision. Also, aren’t we all kinda sick of the year after year record breaking contracts going to college coaches?

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
100% agree, but be prepared to be flamed. I hope Pope works out but let’s be honest he’s a bit of a gamble. He’s a good coach, but still has a lot to prove both on the court and the recruiting trail. A lot of our posters are getting too carried away because he went to UK…..Unfortunately that won’t win us games alone.

100% agree, but be prepared to be flamed. I hope Pope works out but let’s be honest he’s a bit of a gamble. He’s a good coach, but still has a lot to prove both on the court and the recruiting trail. A lot of our posters are getting too carried away because he went to UK…..Unfortunately that won’t win us games alone.
Pretend UK fans don't want UK fans to be happy, that's for sure................this is KILLING our rivals. They were in paradise with our misery.

I think people discount how much budgets factor into some decisions. Barnhart broke the bank on Cal. Sure, it’s UK basketball, and sure it’s the SEC, but seriously, just throwing more and more millions at a coaches is a problem. Kentucky has a huge brand, but Kentucky’s wealth as a state as a whole or as a college as a whole is nothing compared to some other competing colleges. Pay for play is going to continue consuming more and more of an athletic programs budget. Somewhere some money needs to be saved. Rolling the dice on Pope with his extremely high potential vs cost of potential failure was a better long term decision. Also, aren’t we all kinda sick of the year after year record breaking contracts going to college coaches?
You are confusing two totally different pools of money that have nothing to do with each other. NIL has fck-all to do with the money we pay coaches. We get SEC money we can use on coaches. NIL money has to come from donors and that's the area we aren't measuring up to our used-to-be peers in.

You are confusing two totally different pools of money that have nothing to do with each other. NIL has fck-all to do with the money we pay coaches. We get SEC money we can use on coaches. NIL money has to come from donors and that's the area we aren't measuring up to our used-to-be peers in.
Yea, things don’t really work like they are described at the public level. And even if it were that things are exactly as they are said to be, things will be changing soon enough where colleges will be directly compensating kids without having to frame that idea a little differently.

I don't really agree with a majority of these points lol

Definitely agree Bobby Hurley was never going to come here

While that might have been the case and I am happy that Pope is here, I don't agree with the OP's point about not trying.

You always reach out in that circumstance. Worst they can say is .......no lol.

Not reaching out.......to anyone you might want.......makes zero sense. Offer the position or an interview for the position. Make them decline it.

Yea, things don’t really work like they are described at the public level. And even if it were that things are exactly as they are said to be, things will be changing soon enough where colleges will be directly compensating kids without having to frame that idea a little differently.
You don't understand. Even when schools are compensating players, you can no longer make it illegal for boosters to bribe them into playing for their favourite schools. That's what I'm trying to explain to people. NIL being legalized has changed the calculus.

While that might have been the case and I am happy that Pope is here, I don't agree with the OP's point about not trying.

You always reach out in that circumstance. Worst they can say is .......no lol.

Not reaching out.......to anyone you might want.......makes zero sense. Offer the position or an interview for the position. Make them decline it.
A bunch here wanted us to wait and get turned down again by Donovan, which would have been a total disaster as we’d have no team next year OR they wanted to hire dirtbag Oats. Most that actually attended UK have higher standards than a POS that looked the other way on a gun crime in the name of winning.

[/QUOTE]
Cal was a effing disaster the last nine years now go to the Arkansas board and tree hug down there your shitshow maestro has left the building god these cal nut huggers

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Bobby? He still have eligibility left? 😂

Why is Mitch not doing his job? Many people said "Mitch, make Hurley say no" and that is exactly what he did.

Mark Pope said yesterday that Barnhart has done a "remarkable" job at Kentucky and should be appreciated for it by our fans. Pope went into detail and gave good examples. Being enough of a Barnhart hater to post this toxic OP, you will probably rationalize what Pope said because it does not fit what you think. But after listening to what Pope says with an open mind, I think you are crazy.

Reactions: SPECT imaging

From your writing, the only candidate capable to handle the AD job at UK is you.

Mark Pope said yesterday that Barnhart has done a "remarkable" job at Kentucky and should be appreciated for it by our fans. Pope went into detail and gave good examples. Being enough of a Barnhart hater to post this toxic OP, you will probably rationalize what Pope said because it does not fit what you think. But after listening to what Pope says with an open mind, I think you are crazy.
I agree. But we have some idiots that only want to cause trouble

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT