ADVERTISEMENT

We’ll look back in retrospect

BlueEmpire

Senior
Mar 26, 2009
This game was not a moral victory. They let Georgia get away with one. But two things I’m thinking about:

1. We are going to see Georgia roll a lot of good teams this year and NOT give up the stats they gave up to us.

2. We hurt them. We’re gonna hurt other teams. I think we’ll look back on this as a lesson.

…but damn our o-line gotta start getting nasty.

This game was not a moral victory. They let Georgia get away with one. But two things I’m thinking about:

1. We are going to see Georgia roll a lot of good teams this year and NOT give up the stats they gave up to us.

2. We hurt them. We’re gonna hurt other teams. I think we’ll look back on this as a lesson.

Thank god our stats were decent, they won’t play this way again either. Tonight was a one off opportunity and stoops blew it

Unfortunately, we just don't have a good enough offense to win games like this. Half of our points came on 51 and 55 yard field goals. After crossing midfield, we gained a total of 38 yards for the entire game. 246 of our 284 total yards, came on our side of the field.

I know Georgia's defense is insane, but that is just terrible. Don't know how much we can improve.

Reactions: ala_kat2 and K_TIME
Some of you guys are delusional. We were NEVER going to win that game. That we had a chance is a TESTAMENT to the players and the coaches. Get Tranum back and continue to play great D and we could beat Ole Miss AND Tennessee. Anyone without an agenda can see the improvement on BOTH sides of the ball today. This ream is not done yet despite what you nervous jellies say.. Keep improving each week and this could be a good football team

Gotta start? Did you see the rushing yards? We ran the ball inside almost at will vs the best defense in football. And we did it with two undersized, mediocre running backs.

Noone else this season will run thr ball like that vs them. Not sure what more anyone needs to see on the ol physicality aspect.

You need to stop. Seriously.

After a late night drive home, i thought id wake up to tons of optimism. Boy was i wrong. I think tons of posters, mostly ones i dont recognize, were legitimately pissed because we played so well.

Why are so many wanting a collapse? Is it really the mumme ball people crawling out of the woodwork like they do every so often, all pissed because we aren't "throwing the ball down the field"?

Reactions: The-Hack

Agreee with the post…but what did the Oline do to state “Oline gotta start getting nasty “?

We ran at uga for 160 yards at five yards a carry? Brock had ample time thru a game to throw….we did leave a TE to protect but nonetheless…we had time to throw

Maybe the Qb needs to throw guys open a bit more and the OC needs to have an ample college passing system….that is the only thing I saw negative

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
After a late night drive home, i thought id wake up to tons of optimism. Boy was i wrong. I think tons of posters, mostly ones i dont recognize, were legitimately pissed because we played so well.

Why are so many wanting a collapse? Is it really the mumme ball people crawling out of the woodwork like they do every so often, all pissed because we aren't "throwing the ball down the field"?
Would be great if we could score a TD. Just too difficult I suppose.

Would be great if we could score a TD. Just too difficult I suppose.

Lol. They are the #1 team in the nation with probably the best defense in the nation. It wasn't like they just drew rankings out of a hat. They earned that.

Its extraordinarily rare for anyone to move the ball like we did. By using only two undersized rbs and a very inexperienced qb mind you. The OL were definitely offensive player of the game.

There are no moral victories but there damn sure is plenty to build on. If people want to bitch because the game wasnt exciting enough, it means you are an observer instead if a fan.

Reactions: The-Hack
Lol. They are the #1 team in the nation with probably the best defense in the nation. It wasn't like they just drew rankings out of a hat. They earned that.

Its extraordinarily rare for anyone to move the ball like we did. By using only two undersized rbs and a very inexperienced qb mind you. The OL were definitely offensive player of the game.

There are no moral victories but there damn sure is plenty to build on. If people want to bitch because the game wasnt exciting enough, it means you are an observer instead if a fan.
lol. What about S Carolina?

Had we taken care of business against South Carolina, it would be easier to swallow this loss. We have a gimmie next week. We won’t learn much against Ohio. Then we go to Oxford. Anyone think we hold Ole Miss to under 12 points? Our offense is going to need to get much better over the next 2 weeks.
Don't overlook Ohio.
They were respectable @Syracuse.
Picked to finish 5th in coaches poll.

Ohio will be a tough game you wait - we match up well against UGA we are similar they just have better players and Head Coach
Teams that are explosive on offense
Ole Miss Texas Tn we have zero chance against
Ga does not have that explosiveness note play that style
We lack a QB that can make plays - he can’t throw a guy open or slide left & throw right and make plays
He just doesn’t see guys coming open and holds it way to long

Ohio will be a tough game you wait - we match up well against UGA we are similar they just have better players and Head Coach
Teams that are explosive on offense
Ole Miss Texas Tn we have zero chance against
Ga does not have that explosiveness note play that style
We lack a QB that can make plays - he can’t throw a guy open or slide left & throw right and make plays
He just doesn’t see guys coming open and holds it way to long

This. Like I said, if 6 and 6 or 7 and 5 to the who gives a crap bowl provide optimism then you have it today.

J was predicting that anyways so overall, losing by 1 or 50 doesn't change the season outlook to me.

Losing by 1 or 50 doesn't matter. A loss is a loss.

No one with a brain feels better about our chances at ole miss, UT or TX despite tonight's closer moral victory.

So if you are orgasmic about maybe going 7 and 5 or 6 and 6, kudos.
Agree with you. However, I feel better about the other games. After USCe (wasn't able to watch it, but listened on the radio), I thought UK would go 3-9, maybe 2-10. Now, there is hope for a 7-5, 6-6 season and a bowl game. While that is not playoff good enough, that is better than 2-10. You gotta realize UK plays 4 of the current top 7 teams. Hate to break it to everyone, but UK is not a top 10 team. Those 4 games would be major upsets.

EDIT: not "orgasmic" about 7-5, 6-6 ... but it sure beats 2-10 (which is where I thought UK could be).

Things HAVE to get better, but it isn't as dismal as it was last week.

Reactions: ala_kat2
Like i said, if you just want to bitch about the Georgia youre just an observer. Not a fan.

This team and coaches could've easily laid down but they didn't. Much to build on. I’ll give fans credit too because the place was full and loud.
You don’t know shit if you think I am just an observer. You have been here long enough to know better.

Some of you guys are delusional. We were NEVER going to win that game. That we had a chance is a TESTAMENT to the players and the coaches. Get Tranum back and continue to play great D and we could beat Ole Miss AND Tennessee. Anyone without an agenda can see the improvement on BOTH sides of the ball today. This ream is not done yet despite what you nervous jellies say.. Keep improving each week and this could be a good football team

This is the most ridiculous post so far this year. Ole Miss and Tennessee will be able to name the score against us. If they score less than 40, then I’ll be shocked. We still have one of the worst pass defenses in the SEC. Georgia decided to play extremely vanilla, and we have a history of playing those types of games with them, but it’s rarely indicative of future results. No way Tennessee and Ole Miss try to run the ball like Georgia did. They’ll mix it up, with much more throwing down field, and we won’t be able to do anything about it because we have absolutely no pass rush, and our secondary is abysmal. The number of miss assignments we make per game is astounding. UT will likely have three or four plays where they have wide receivers running down the field with absolutely nobody within 20 yards of them. Mark it down because history tends to repeat itself with Stoops coached teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrimsonCats

100%. Georgia is 42-0 in it's last 42 regular season games. We lost the turnover battle and STILL had a chance late. If just one loose ball had bounced our way we steal this game. Tons to build on after this. BV is just beginning to figure things out and he won't face a defense within 100 miles of what he's seen already on the rest of our schedule. We may have just faced the two toughest defensive front sevens we'll see all year and our o-line looked significantly better (the run blocking against uga was excellent considering we were facing a horde of future top nfl draftees).

• Love
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Disagree. We have never been able to stop / score with teams like Ole Miss and UT. Georgia plays like Fulmer used to play. It's conservative and it almost always works against lesser teams, but on an off night, upsets are there for the taking (see last night).

I feel better about our team, but I do not feel better about beating UT, Ole Miss, or Texas. The key to avoiding a terrible season is to sweep the upcoming three game stretch with Candy, UF, and AU and then Beat U of L again.

Disagree. We have never been able to stop / score with teams like Ole Miss and UT. Georgia plays like Fulmer used to play. It's conservative and it almost always works against lesser teams, but on an off night, upsets are there for the taking (see last night).

I feel better about our team, but I do not feel better about beating UT, Ole Miss, or Texas. The key to avoiding a terrible season is to sweep the upcoming three game stretch with Candy, UF, and AU and then Beat U of L again.

We had ole miss beat the last two times we played them fyi. Lost one on a missed xp. Another on the ticky tack procedure penalty wiping out the key td.

It will be a huge challenge but it blows my mind how people act like they just dominated us in those past games.

Ut is a different story. We play them well in Lexington and poorly in Knoxville. I expect that one to get early.

Reactions: postmodernprimate
Agree with you. However, I feel better about the other games. After USCe (wasn't able to watch it, but listened on the radio), I thought UK would go 3-9, maybe 2-10. Now, there is hope for a 7-5, 6-6 season and a bowl game. While that is not playoff good enough, that is better than 2-10. You gotta realize UK plays 4 of the current top 7 teams. Hate to break it to everyone, but UK is not a top 10 team. Those 4 games would be major upsets.

EDIT: not "orgasmic" about 7-5, 6-6 ... but it sure beats 2-10 (which is where I thought UK could be).

Things HAVE to get better, but it isn't as dismal as it was last week.
Yeah that is an awkward thing to say.
Not one person on earth feels that way.

I’d rather lose taking shots at a TD with 9 seconds in the 2nd quarter instead of taking a FG on 3rd down, and going for it on 4th down at midfield with 3 minutes to go, where a first down may very well have put us in FG range, instead of punting it away with little hope of getting the ball back anywhere near scoring position.

Folks would still be disappointed if such attempts still ended up resulting in a loss, but at least they would respect that we took our shots.

I’d rather lose taking shots at a TD with 9 seconds in the 2nd quarter instead of taking a FG on 3rd down, and going for it on 4th down at midfield with 3 minutes to go, where a first down may very well have put us in FG range, instead of punting it away with little hope of getting the ball back anywhere near scoring position.

Folks would still be disappointed if such attempts still ended up resulting in a loss, but at least they would respect that we took our shots.
I agree for the most part. Maybe Stoops just wanted to lose by one rather than by 8. There was time for one more pass attempt in the second qtr, but Stoops probably didn’t think it was safe to try and score without making a turnover. Vandageiff is a little shaky in making the correct read in the passing game. That also probably figured in the 4th down decision at midfield late in the game. But, everyone, including me, thought we’d never get the ball back with enough time left on the clock. Great defensive effort, but gotta get better in the passing game.

I agree for the most part. Maybe Stoops just wanted to lose by one rather than by 8. There was time for one more pass attempt in the second qtr, but Stoops probably didn’t think it was safe to try and score without making a turnover. Vandageiff is a little shaky in making the correct read in the passing game. That also probably figured in the 4th down decision at midfield late in the game. But, everyone, including me, thought we’d never get the ball back with enough time left on the clock. Great defensive effort, but gotta get better in the passing game.
It’s gambling either way. I’d just rather gamble on the side of being aggressive and attacking than giving away chances and hoping something else will come along.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Losing by 1 or 50 doesn't matter. A loss is a loss.

No one with a brain feels better about our chances at ole miss, UT or TX despite tonight's closer moral victory.

So if you are orgasmic about maybe going 7 and 5 or 6 and 6, kudos.
I will at 7-5, thank you. Great teams cover their win totals!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT