ADVERTISEMENT

Watcha think their talking about?

FirewithFire

Junior
Jan 16, 2021
I would love to be able to listen in on this conversation. Cal was the king of misleading passive aggressive bs. I wonder how much he unloaded on Pope?

image-21-1536x950.png

Reactions: deep3
I'm not sure about that particular conversation, but I could see Pope utilizing Calipari once Cal retires. I really could.

Cal is going to be remembered for what he did with the OAD culture, and his legacy will be in regards to how he changed the game there, particularly while at UK.

So in about 5 years, Cal will walk off the stage for the last time. But he won't remain silent. He still has an enormous influence and knows everyone in the sport.

I could see Pope calling him and saying, "Would you like to be an ambassador for us?"

I could see Cal saying, "Yes."

I'm not sure about that particular conversation, but I could see Pope utilizing Calipari once Cal retires. I really could.

Cal is going to be remembered for what he did with the OAD culture, and his legacy will be in regards to how he changed the game there, particularly while at UK.

So in about 5 years, Cal will walk off the stage for the last time. But he won't remain silent. He still has an enormous influence and knows everyone in the sport.

I could see Pope calling him and saying, "Would you like to be an ambassador for us?"

What planet do you live on? Cal can only be an ambassador for Cal. Tubby and Pitino would be better ambassador choices than Cal. I hope Pope never gives any serious credence to anything Cal ever says.

It's an interesting thought. I just don't see Cal's ego allowing him to have anything to do with UK again.

After Cals reset these last few months he probably has his mind at ease finally and can actually talk about basketball to Coach Pope and the conversation probably never be about NBA.

These coaches recruit in the same circles all the time. They've probably talked at several events before, and now they have even more to talk about.

Reactions: Fox2monk

There are probably too many other bridges burned with Cal to allow that to happen.

Reactions: KFuqua

And I'd be perfectly fine with that. Help recruit and promote Kentucky.

I can hear Cal now, "Hey Mark, have you found a place to live in Lexington? I know the perfect place. Only about 4 million!"

Things change.
People change.
What does this mean? Cal left the UK program in worse shape than he inherited it. Yes - he had success in the first part, but a sustained period of poor results following that.

Do some of you all really want Cal as an ambassador for this program when he wasn't even a decent ambassador for it when he was the coach?

Reactions: KFuqua
What does this mean? Cal left the UK program in worse shape than he inherited it. Yes - he had success in the first part, but a sustained period of poor results following that.

Do some of you all really want Cal as an ambassador for this program when he wasn't even a decent ambassador for it when he was the coach?
What it means is people change.
Sone was a)ll

It means people change.
Some for good and some for not so good.
I couldn't care less about what "the former coach" does when he retires.
But if it would happen as Son of Saul talked about and "the former coach" saw the error of his way's, I wouldn't be opposed either.
It's just as simple as that.

Reactions: ukfan1622
Pope is going to play the game of i appreciate Cal and i thank him for what he did for the university. Thats the proper play and it makes 100% sense. But id love to read the 96 teams group texts these last 5 years. Id say it paints a way different picture of how he truly feels the progarm was being run.

Pope is going to play the game of i appreciate Cal and i thank him for what he did for the university. Thats the proper play and it makes 100% sense. But id love to read the 96 teams group texts these last 5 years. Id say it paints a way different picture of how he truly feels the progarm was being run.
I don't think you need texts. Many of them have been open and vocal about it.

S

Speaking for myself, I don't want him anywhere near the program in any form. He's gone and I'm damn glad.
MAYBE down the road he can come back for the 30th anniversary of the 2012 championship team and that's only if he doesn't downgrade the program before he calls it quits or even after.....

Reactions: FirewithFire
What planet do you live on? Cal can only be an ambassador for Cal. Tubby and Pitino would be better ambassador choices than Cal. I hope Pope never gives any serious credence to anything Cal ever says.
Rick Pitino? You sure?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT