ADVERTISEMENT

Washed up Rick Pitino chokes away 19 point late 1st half lead at home.

TucsonCat

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2022
He has now taken a team that was 18-15 and lead them to, checks notes, 14-12 record.
Another year, another winless NCAA.
Which they deserve. Godless heathens knife another coach in the back and don't pay any buyout.
Dale Brown job to commemorate 30th anniversary

He has now taken a team that was 18-15 and lead them to, checks notes, 14-12 record.
Which they deserve. Godless heathens knife another coach in the back and don't pay any buyout.
Trouble in paradise for quick Rick

I take no satisfaction in this. Some of the most enjoyable years watching UK was with him coaching. Wished he would have stayed but I thank him for the many years and planning my days around UK games. It was a great time to be a UK fan.

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
I take no satisfaction in this. Some of the most enjoyable years watching UK was with him coaching. Wished he would have stayed but I thank him for the many years and planning my days around UK games. It was a great time to be a UK fan.
I do. Yes, his time at UK was great a very long time ago. The 93 and 96 teams are my two favorites.

Buuuuut, he doesn’t have a UK Wildcat tattooed on his back. Rick is a former UL coach to me. He was only here 7 years. He was a Louisville man for 16 years.

He did everything he could to damage our program while at UL . Including being involved in trying to get Eric Bledsoe’s high school transcripts made public so he would be ineligible. The kid and his mother were so poor they were living in a car and Pitino/Thamel/Forde/ and little Ricky were on a witch hunt to make him ineligible.

I don't recall

I don't recall a Pitino team quitting like that or getting slack like that.

Bring Pitino back for a 5 year run.

Doesn’t matter, pitino is 3 times the coach that ccc is
Lousy human, but great coach

At this point I hope St Johns and Pitino put the nail in CCC’s coffin.

Pitino for 3-5 years with a guy like Vogel at his side to groom into the job. There are several other guys who could come in from the 90s with pitino to take the reins when he leaves. Pitino would take the job for peanuts while we deal with Cals contract. Done deal easiest way to get rid of cal and get back to winning fast. And I promise reed plays a couple seasons for pitino if it happened.

Pitino is twice the floor coach that Cal is. It’s like common knowledge.

I don't know about the "toughness" part, but he missed on recruiting. He thought Dingle and Ledlum would be better players than they have been. What Ledlum did at Harvard hasn't translated to the Big East. Same goes for Dingle from Penn. Then he lost RJ Luis for 10 games.

After that he doesn't have much depth. 14 wins with the group he has is probably only really 3-4 games off the wins total he could have right now. The best player he brought in has been Jenkins and he came with him from Iona. It's not surprising his team has been blowing leads. His team only really has 5 players.

I agree with CSB above. Most Pitino love is fake. Do people have an appreciation for what he did for our program, yes. Is his coaching record vastly superior to Cal, not even close. When Calipari and Pitino were both coaching P5 programs it was Calipari that reigned supreme, not Rick.

Cringe Wow GIF by ZDF Magazin Royale

What doesn’t get discussed enough is the fact that came out that Pitino and Jurich blocked the Charlotte Hornets from relocating to Louisville Because they did not want to share the YUM.
Think of the economic impact that could have had on this state. Think of the jobs that could have provided. My jaw hit the floor when I read the article. (See Link)

no freaking idea why this is ever talked about much and why I hate those two men. They were and always have been about themselves.

What doesn’t get discussed enough is the fact that came out that Pitino and Jurich blocked the Charlotte Hornets from relocating to Louisville Because they did not want to share the YUM.
Think of the economic impact that could have had on this state. Think of the jobs that could have provided. My jaw hit the floor when I read the article. (See Link)

no freaking idea why this is ever talked about much and why I hate those two men. They were and always have been about themselves.

Grifters before it was a thing.

Reactions: AirRaid08 and G-PIP
I do. Yes, his time at UK was great a very long time ago. The 93 and 96 teams are my two favorites.

Buuuuut, he doesn’t have a UK Wildcat tattooed on his back. Rick is a former UL coach to me. He was only here 7 years. He was a Louisville man for 16 years.
Sometimes divorces get ugly.

He did everything he could to damage our program while at UL . Including being involved in trying to get Eric Bledsoe’s high school transcripts made public so he would be ineligible. The kid and his mother were so poor they were living in a car and Pitino/Thamel/Forde/ and little Ricky were on a witch hunt to make him ineligible.
This, and his middle finger should be remembered by all UK fandom forever. Honestly hope we never see his, I 'll be nice, back in ever in Rupp again. IMO ignorant people burn bridges and he's the master.

Those 2 are the definition of a Narcissist.

Rick booted a number of guys to the curb when he took over St. John’s. Here is what those guys are doing this year at their new schools:

David Jones - 21.6ppg at Memphis
AJ Storr - 16.0ppg at Wisconsin
O’mar Stanley - 13.9ppg at Boise State
Andre Curbello - 13.7ppg at Southern Miss
Kolby King - 12.0ppg at Tulane
Rafael Pinson - 11.7ppg at Bryant
Posh Alexander - 11.0ppg at Butler
Dylan Adda-Wusu - 8.0ppg at Seton Hall

Looks like he might have booted a few of the wrong guys.

We have quite a few on this board that want to bring him back here LOL.

Man they’re really struggling this year.
I think it is Pitino's first year. I watched them play uconn and was impressed. I guess in today's transfer portal, first year isn't an excuse... that said it's still just Saint John's... I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make the tournament in his second year.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think it is Pitino's first year. I watched them play uconn and was impressed. I guess in today's transfer portal, first year isn't an excuse... that said it's still just Saint John's... I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make the tournament in his second year.
He’s gonna need a couple classes to get the kinda players he likes and upgrade the talent level. I think eventually they will be solid.

Throwing players under the bus is a bad idea these days with NIL and the transfer portal. Rick’s going to learn that the hard way.

I actually agree with Rick. Was it the appropriate thing for him to say? Probably not, although I will note that he’s constantly getting asked by reporters why his team is very average. At some point you have to just be honest even if it hurts some feelings.

NIL and Pitino are not a good fit. He’s an old school coach who works his players harder than anybody in the game. That’s his style and always has been. He’s great when he has guys that will buy in completely. When he doesn’t, he’s about like Cal.

I actually agree with Rick. Was it the appropriate thing for him to say? Probably not, although I will note that he’s constantly getting asked by reporters why his team is very average. At some point you have to just be honest even if it hurts some feelings.

NIL and Pitino are not a good fit. He’s an old school coach who works his players harder than anybody in the game. That’s his style and always has been. He’s great when he has guys that will buy in completely. When he doesn’t, he’s about like Cal.
He’s never been the coach that Cal is.

And never had the class of BCG.

It was exciting times on the court when he was here. As long as the other team didn’t make it a close game.

He was always a POS off the court.

But he was supposed to be good this year according to the pricktinoites. He got experienced players from the portal and was gonna coach them up.

That was the story.

The Seton Hall coach just outcoached Pitino.

St John’s has better players than Seton Hall. Pitino was simply outcoached.

The CHC has to agree. That’s been their whole story since he was St Peter’s coach and beat us.

I didn’t even watch the game but I’m sure Pitino didn’t change defenses enough. He didn’t run any inbounds plays. His “in game” coaching was terrible. He let them score on in bounds plays.

He didn’t use his timeouts properly. Seton Hall ran a modern offense.

That has to be the story, right?

The players couldn’t have decided the game. Pitino was just outcoached yet again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT