ADVERTISEMENT

Was at the game, this will be last post for a long time ...

I looked up Saint Peters's schedule just to give me a little bit of reprieve from the loss hoping I would see a team that was under rated. Unfortunately they had been beaten by a bunch of teams I had never heard of.
Same thing. Looking at St. Peter’s schedule only makes the loss seem worse. They beat nobody and lost to a whole bunch of nobodies. They easily could’ve been a 16 seed.

There’s no way of polishing this turd.

I said I was done last year and this team suckered me back in with their mid season performance only to let me down once again.

St. Peter’s ran back door play after back door play it was like watching Garner Webb all over again. It was actually refreshing to see a team run some sort of offense as I haven’t seen it from Kentucky in god knows how long.

I don’t really understand why Cal refuses to run plays. He should watch this game and install the same offense for next yearThe “dribble drive” is exactly what it states. Dribble drive pass until the clock hits 5 seconds and then throw up a prayer and hope Oscar is somewhere to rebound. Wtf is that? How is that acceptable from a 10 mil/year coach?

Call’s late game adjustment included stalling the ball until 5 seconds left and throw up a prayer. RUNNNNN. GOOOOOO. Some ish you’ve seen for years folks.

The team played tighter than a crabs asshole because Cal was tense. He knew that seat is blistering hot if he lost that game. I’ve never seen the game pass by a coach so fast and it’s his own fault not the talent.
Great post. But I LOL'ed at tighter than a crabs asshole. Can't say I've ever heard that phrase before. I will certainly be using that in the future. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
-Can we stop playing in Indy? The crowd clearly doesn't help UK as much as everyone wants to believe. It was LOUD when it needed to be, but this team didn't respond. So, Indy has given us Wisconsin, the Duke/Zion ass-kicking, and now arguably the biggest upset in NCAA history. Lovely. And it was Wisky all over again with the stall ball nonsense once a lead was finally in place late.

-Murray State fans were cheering for St. Peters, obviously. They were celebrating UK's loss as if they beat UK. Their attitude about it is what bothered me. People like upsets, yes. But they were sort of nasty about it. Remember that when you cheer for Murray State against St. Peter's.

-I think I was one of Cal's biggest defenders, especially because I live in Indy and have to deal with so much hate daily, but it's over. Every other coach in the SEC would have won that game last night. Cal was just ridiculously bad. Won't re-hash all of the examples, because they've been said on this board since the game started. But ho-lee sheet that was one of the worst coaching performances in ages. And Shaheen Holloway was ready for it.

-Wheeler kept us in the game for a couple of minutes late, but overall, he was abysmal. Our point guard was dreadful last night. Turnovers, bad passes, missed free throws, what in the hell was he doing? When Cal went into his predictable stall ball mode up 6 w/ 3:30 to play, Wheeler had no idea what he was doing ... and nobody wanted to touch the ball. Cal must scare the sh*t out of his players with some kind of nasty threats when he tells them to go into stall mode.

-Ty Ty Washington was so bad it was a joke. Cal couldn't even play him .... and then, of course, he throws him back in cold off the bench to take the last shot in regulation. Savvy move.

-Oscar deserves so much more. Will miss him.

-UK was bad at the rim all night. You could just sense "something" was off from the tip. Felt it in the air. Lay-ups, free throws, everything.

-Worse, UK was TERRIBLE on the fast break. Ty Ty was the worst. Felt like I was watching a point-shaver.

-Watching Sharpe in warm-ups, dunking, just pissed me off. I didn't even care about the whole Sharpe debacle until I saw this.

-Cal didn't even have the boys come out to warm up until about 4:00 left before the 2H. St. Peter's was out there for a full 10 extra minutes warming up. I think this kind of stuff matters. Cal just kept them back, probably allowing them to get more nervous/tight as he yelled nonsense at the whiteboard.

-Season had some fun moments .... but UK looked like a 6-7 seed the last month of the season and we all know it. The hype was a shame, because they didn't deserve any of it. The final four picks, the title predictions, all complete nonsense based on fool's gold from an outlier performance against Kansas in January. No other way to look at it.

-Not sure how much I'll care about this stuff until Cal is gone. 2015 broke something in me as a fan, probably for the better (less emotional about losses), but last night just felt like this weird sense of completeness .... I realized I'm just totally done w/ the Cal era and ready for a fresh start.
Put this in a letter and send it to frauadapari and Barnhart let them know. Sums up his coaching and how we all feel perfectly

-Can we stop playing in Indy? The crowd clearly doesn't help UK as much as everyone wants to believe. It was LOUD when it needed to be, but this team didn't respond. So, Indy has given us Wisconsin, the Duke/Zion ass-kicking, and now arguably the biggest upset in NCAA history. Lovely. And it was Wisky all over again with the stall ball nonsense once a lead was finally in place late.

-Murray State fans were cheering for St. Peters, obviously. They were celebrating UK's loss as if they beat UK. Their attitude about it is what bothered me. People like upsets, yes. But they were sort of nasty about it. Remember that when you cheer for Murray State against St. Peter's.

-I think I was one of Cal's biggest defenders, especially because I live in Indy and have to deal with so much hate daily, but it's over. Every other coach in the SEC would have won that game last night. Cal was just ridiculously bad. Won't re-hash all of the examples, because they've been said on this board since the game started. But ho-lee sheet that was one of the worst coaching performances in ages. And Shaheen Holloway was ready for it.

-Wheeler kept us in the game for a couple of minutes late, but overall, he was abysmal. Our point guard was dreadful last night. Turnovers, bad passes, missed free throws, what in the hell was he doing? When Cal went into his predictable stall ball mode up 6 w/ 3:30 to play, Wheeler had no idea what he was doing ... and nobody wanted to touch the ball. Cal must scare the sh*t out of his players with some kind of nasty threats when he tells them to go into stall mode.

-Ty Ty Washington was so bad it was a joke. Cal couldn't even play him .... and then, of course, he throws him back in cold off the bench to take the last shot in regulation. Savvy move.

-UK was bad at the rim all night. You could just sense "something" was off from the tip. Felt it in the air. Lay-ups, free throws, everything.

-Worse, UK was TERRIBLE on the fast break. Ty Ty was the worst. Felt like I was watching a point-shaver.

-Watching Sharpe in warm-ups, dunking, just pissed me off. I didn't even care about the whole Sharpe debacle until I saw this.

-Cal didn't even have the boys come out to warm up until about 4:00 left before the 2H. St. Peter's was out there for a full 10 extra minutes warming up. I think this kind of stuff matters. Cal just kept them back, probably allowing them to get more nervous/tight as he yelled nonsense at the whiteboard.

-Season had some fun moments .... but UK looked like a 6-7 seed the last month of the season and we all know it. The hype was a shame, because they didn't deserve any of it. The final four picks, the title predictions, all complete nonsense based on fool's gold from an outlier performance against Kansas in January. No other way to look at it.

-Not sure how much I'll care about this stuff until Cal is gone. 2015 broke something in me as a fan, probably for the better (less emotional about losses), but last night just felt like this weird sense of completeness .... I realized I'm just totally done w/ the Cal era and ready for a fresh start.
Agree 100%. I also noticed that whoever this moron @Huntnfish1 is seems be laughing at every reasonable post made on here over the past 12 hours. Not sure why, but he/she irks me.

Murray St fans should have been rooting for Kentucky to win for the easy out, St. Peters may give them a tough game.
No, I honestly don't think most UK fans know how bad this St. Peters team really is. I would be shocked if they even stay close to Murray. Murray has better guards than us and they are better coached

Excellent summation of the beat down by a JV team, but don't expect Cal to change or leave.

See to me, there's a few things that really need to be addressed, because they're directly leading to losses for the Cats. It all boils down to Cal's...
1. Refusal to use TOs at end of game situations
2. Refusal to run any out of bounds plays to get easy shots
3. Refusal to run any "sets" or "specials" instead of his dated mover/blocker scheme
4. Refusal to practice FTs - just leaves it up to players to do on their own
5. Refusal to switch up defenses - teams make runs, change it up

Bonus: Anyone else notice how TERRIBLE Kentucky's ball-screen defense is? When Cal doesn't have Anthony Davis, Nerlens, or Willie guarding the big on a ball-screen, we just seem to get torched.

RAMEL - GREAT POST.. agree 100%

Wisconsin broke me. I have quit going to games... I think I have been to Rupp twice with kids since 2015 (before went 7-8 games/yr). Go back and look at that roster again!! Then look at Wisconsin roster... then go back and look at Randle team and look at UCONN roster. It makes me sick. Common denominator is MORE TALENT and WORSE COACHING.

I have quite listening to all the Media BS (especially shows that talk about Future Talent and 5 stars and how we will be favored to win it all!! Over the dead period of summer -- insert KSR types) - they just are self serving their brand.

Finally 7 years later, people are starting to see what many of us saw years .... Cal has his strengths but in game coaching is a glaring weakness. ADD this to his hubris... we are where we are.

See to me, there's a few things that really need to be addressed, because they're directly leading to losses for the Cats. It all boils down to Cal's...
3. Refusal to run any "sets" or "specials" instead of his dated mover/blocker scheme

Bonus: Anyone else notice how TERRIBLE Kentucky's ball-screen defense is? When Cal doesn't have Anthony Davis, Nerlens, or Willie guarding the big on a ball-screen, we just seem to get torched.
They also let other teams best shooters continue to get open shots and shoot even though they know they are the best shooter and can go off

Reactions: bigpaul and KFuqua

Agree totally. Why can’t Cal’s guards shoot? He wants the good looking NBA guys while the mid tier kids are the ones we are losing to. Cal simply cannot coach. He has to have the most talented teams and then he still struggles. Game has passed him by.

It was the *way* they did it. There were many around me. Mocking us as we walked out was necessary? No. F*ck them all.

Ok, now that I've clarified that, I'm logging out of CATS Illustrated for the first time since Tubby's last year. Wow, this is going to be hard ... but I need it.
Reminds me of the WVU fans after that 2010 game. They were total a-holes.

it sucks to be at a game like this. I was also at the Kansas State game in 2018 and this one reminded me a lot of that one. But the KSU fans were actually pretty nice.

Op, I was in Indy in 2015 and I feel the same way. I haven’t been the same about Kentucky basketball. He just can’t win the big games anymore. Big salary less hunger, not sure but he needs to pack his shit.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
No, I honestly don't think most UK fans know how bad this St. Peters team really is. I would be shocked if they even stay close to Murray. Murray has better guards than us and they are better coached
Oh I agree, St Peters is terrible and barely a tournament team. Kentucky would get blown out by Murray State.

Great post! Best one I've read in quite sometime.
I still, to this day, am amazed that Cal won't use a timeout to set up a play with under a minute remaining in the game.
Twenty-something seconds remaining last night. Tie game. Two timeouts remaining.
Cats have the ball.
No timeout.
Oh, I know, let's run around and act we don't don't know what we're doing (which we didn't!!) and then - wait for it, wait for it, wait for it - throw up an air ball.

Unfathomable.

Adolph Rupp - John Wooden - Joe B. Hall - Dean Smith - Denny Crum (etc etc etc) would have called a Gawdamn (here's to you, Baron) TO in every instance like that and set up a play with 2nd and 3rd options. How do I know?? I watched all those guys coach.
I guess Cal is saving his TOs til football season just in case Mark Stoops needs to borrow a few.

I was at the game as well. It was brutal to sit though, absolutely brutal.

The team looked so great in warmups, laughing, looked loose, made a TON of shots (Grady made 12 threes in a row at one point). Then the game started and it looked like a totally different team.

I have said it multiple times and I’ll say it again - I wish we would stop with the “takeover SEC tourney” nonsense. It’s great and that we show up but I wish we would spend that time and money on the NCAAT. It wouldn’t have made a difffernece last night (probably) but it just annoys the hell out of me that our fanbase hangs their hat on how cool it is that BBN dominates the SECT.

• Sad
Reactions: RunninRichie
I've had this same feeling since 2015 as well. although not expected, this loss is not so much of a surprise as you would think.
can't expect JC to turn things around after this many poor showings. after last year his desire and effort is still in question. and that alone is enough to call for change.

Reactions: KFuqua
I thought I'd wake up this morning pissed off, and strangely I'm not. I just feel so...apathetic as a whole. I really don't care. And that makes me sad, because I'm as die-hard a fan as anyone. I have some kind of weird relief that I won't have to watch this team anymore this year. What the hell is that?
It's what Cal has done to this fanbase. He's killed their passion. Their love of UK basketball. He's taken something we all love and revere and made it about him and what he wants. For that reason., I will not look back on his time at UK fondly.

Great post that pretty much sums up my thoughts to the T, as well.

One thing you said about how this game just felt off from the tip. You are right, watching it on TV I got the same feeling. Everyone seemed to not want to have the ball. Seemed like guys would get the ball and look to pass instead of score.

I wouldn't say 2015 broke me. I've been pretty heavily invested and would get more angry than I should when we would lose up until last year. Last years squad numbed me to losing(which honestly is a good thing as my anger after a loss was excessive). This years loss, in my eyes, solidifies that Cal time at Kentucky has run it's course. It's time for a change.
Same. Grady especially seemed timid last night. Only Oscar and Toppin looked ready for the fight. Could tell early that this game was going the wrong way. Just the way it felt.

Reactions: KFuqua

I live in Indy as well. I have grown so tired of Cal’s bull that I didn’t even attempt to get tickets. I have always made some games every year but not this year. For the first time ever, I missed some games on tv because of the way Cal runs the team. I am beyond pissed because UK is stuck with Cal.

Same thing. Looking at St. Peter’s schedule only makes the loss seem worse. They beat nobody and lost to a whole bunch of nobodies. They easily could’ve been a 16 seed.

There’s no way of polishing this turd.
Rick Pitino (Iona) beat them twice this year....

All we know is the way things were handled through the media. Sharpe joined the team, Cal said for a couple weeks “he’s not ready but when he is I’ll put him out there” essentially. Really started hinting at the fact that he was going to get him out there after the news came out that he was draft eligible. Then, Cal posts a long tweet about how after meeting with Sharpe’s family aka handlers, he would not be playing this year. So if you’re reading tea leaves it was pretty clear that someone on Sharpe’s side shut down the idea of him playing this year. Whether it was Sharpe or one of his “people”, it sure looked like Cal was told “he’s not playing this year.”
Yeah I posted a detailed timeline about that, remember? I got raked over the coals by half the posters on this board and I got banned for three days by the moderators.

Reactions: dcw62

Well said. I'm right there with you. It's time for Cal to move on!

Don't forget refusal to prepare specifically for our opponents and refusal to make basically any in-game adjustments to how the opponent is playing.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
I have never been this disappointed in a UK team in all my years. I think like most of you it is time for Cal to be replaced. This team last night except for Oscar, Toppin and a Mintz did not seem to care. This is all on Cal !

I have never been this disappointed in a UK team in all my years. I think like most of you it is time for Cal to be replaced. This team last night except for Oscar, Toppin and a Mintz did not seem to care. This is all on Cal !

I think that may be a key issue. Players first, draft night, max contracts, etc is obviously great when you get those types of guys who are also all in to win. However, over the years it's been pretty clear that some players just aren't the combination of NBA talent, and college heart/grit. Plenty of teams and programs over the years have won without the former, but non go far without the latter.

Reactions: westerncat
Well re teams rooting against us.... big deal. I find myself rooting for underdogs in all the other games.

Re Cal..... the past two seasons makes it look like he is past his prime. Now, what is that level gonna be?

Well, sadly, we will find out b/c his contract is not past it's prime.

He's locked into the end of the 2026 season at $8.5M to $9M per season. (I checked today)

That's roughy $34M-$36M buyout...... even with negotiations, that's too big of a number for the Athletic Department to swallow... and I do not believe there are enough donors to be able to cough up that the of go away money in Kentucky.

The future looks cloudy at best.

Best quote in along time . I feel the same way … thanks for saying it better than I could.

Why in the name of holy **** is Sharpe taking up space in GAME warmups when he has made it abundantly clear he refuses to play this season?

I know of course, and the answer is basically Cal, but it’s completely ****ing stupid.

Want him working in practice? I get that. Warmups are for people who *might* actually play, Cal, you monumental ****ing useless sack of shit.
Wow. Rack TF out of this

RAMEL - GREAT POST.. agree 100%

Wisconsin broke me. I have quit going to games... I think I have been to Rupp twice with kids since 2015 (before went 7-8 games/yr). Go back and look at that roster again!! Then look at Wisconsin roster... then go back and look at Randle team and look at UCONN roster. It makes me sick. Common denominator is MORE TALENT and WORSE COACHING.

I have quite listening to all the Media BS (especially shows that talk about Future Talent and 5 stars and how we will be favored to win it all!! Over the dead period of summer -- insert KSR types) - they just are self serving their brand.

Finally 7 years later, people are starting to see what many of us saw years .... Cal has his strengths but in game coaching is a glaring weakness. ADD this to his hubris... we are where we are.
2015 broke me too. Should have 10 titles right now but we dont.

Cal had himself painted in a corner because they could always still say “the plan was to practice this year and play next year!” but the problem with that was the change in draft status. Cal should have told Sharpe from the beginning, you’re welcome to join this team in the spring but if you do be prepared to play if I call your number. If you’re not willing to do that, we’ll see you in the summer with the class I recruited you to be in. But he let him come under this (false) assumption that he would be preparing for next season. A season that I think we all know will never come.
Exactly how it should have worked. I wouldn’t change a single word you said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT