ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner

wcc31

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 18, 2002
@ralphdaltonfan months ago, you discreetly mentioned one scenario that could end with Wagner not ending up at UK. At the time, I thought you meant his dad getting hired somewhere like Memphis. Were you really referring to Kenny Payne getting a head gig somewhere?

My takeaway?
The Wagner family is trying to figure out how to commit to a program not named UK without making Calipari look like the laughing stock of CBB recruiting.

I’ve said more times than I care to count, but if Wagner was going to UK to play for Cal, there’s been at least 3-4 times since the St. Peter’s loss, that would have been the perfect time to commit, to take some heat off of Cal… but he didn’t. He’s not going to.

Prepare now, it’s inevitable.

My takeaway?
The Wagner family is trying to figure out how to commit to a program not named UK without making Calipari look like the laughing stock of CBB recruiting.

I’ve said more times than I care to count, but if Wagner was going to UK to play for Cal, there’s been at least 3-4 times since the St. Peter’s loss, that would have been the perfect time to commit, to take some heat off of Cal… but he didn’t. He’s not going to.

Takes not facts.

Reactions: Col. Angus
My takeaway?

lol

My takeaway?

Completely agree. The fanbase needs something to rally behind and having Wagner commit would’ve been it. He’s going elsewhere and hopefully when that happens, Cal is finally finished here

My takeaway?

I don't think the Wagners care about "making Cal look better" or taking heat off him and I highly, highly doubt anyone at UK is pressuring him to commit this early. More likely? He's enjoying being a kid and being recruited. I wouldn't commit this early if I were him either - a lot can change between now and Summer 2023. He still has more visits to take and the NIL game is growing and changing every day.

Its going to be Kentucky or Louisville and certainly despite what the latest predictions have indicated - Louisville still has a lot of ground to make up in my opinion. Only 6 of the current top 20 kids are committed for '23 so its not shocking he's not committed regardless of how long he's been a "lock" for UK.

Completely agree. The fanbase needs something to rally behind and having Wagner commit would’ve been it. He’s going elsewhere and hopefully when that happens, Cal is finally finished here
Yeah that's good analysis. The only question left is, does Cal leave NOW or does he leave next summer.

Reactions: blue woman
It’s going to be after this upcoming season. Wouldn’t doubt if Wagner holds off committing somewhere till Cal retires. That way he doesn’t show Cal up

FWIW, if Cal did leave, and if Wagner then went elsehwere.. that could have meant he changed his mind now that Cal was gone. Not that I don't think what was written above doesn't also make sense.

this is so comical and sad that some actually thinks Cal is going to retire after this year

i will be willing to bet a lifetime ip address from this site to any that want to take the bet
Cal is not going anywhere no matter how much some of the haters want him to

If Cal's not retiring after 9-16 followed by the Sharpe Fiasco and the St. Peter's debacle, then he's not going to retire after next season either.

I do like these subtle shots at the fan base though, where some of our fans keep insisting that the negativity is "getting to Cal", and that we'll go on to regret it. Cal's smiling at these absurdities with every six figure bi-weekly bay check he's putting into his savings!

If the 9-16 season, bashing the fans after said losing season, the losses to Saint Peter’s, Richmond, Evansville, letting Sharpe use our facilities all year while not having to play, then lying about Sharpe, losing the tournament wins title to UNC, losing the all-time wins title to Kansas, letting players kneel, and letting players bash the coach who built this program from nothing didn’t force Cal out… what the hell will?

If the 9-16 season, bashing the fans after said losing season, the losses to Saint Peter’s, Richmond, Evansville, letting Sharpe use our facilities all year while not having to play, then lying about Sharpe, losing the tournament wins title to UNC, losing the all-time wins title to Kansas, letting players kneel, and letting players bash the coach who built this program from nothing didn’t force Cal out… what the hell will?
It's a solid case you've made, but I don't picture Cal as the monumental prick he'd have to be to have the crust to milk his contract while having poor seasons. I suspect he'll go on his own soon.

Shameful that it takes a Card fan to tell you all what’s really going on. Yet all the Kentucky fans in here grasping at some conspiracy laden garbage about protecting Cal’s image. I find it strange and fairly disappointing

this is so comical and sad that some actually thinks Cal is going to retire after this year

i will be willing to bet a lifetime ip address from this site to any that want to take the bet
Cal is not going anywhere no matter how much some of the haters want him to
A whole IP address? I’ll bet you a large McDonald’s fry! How bout dat!

If Cal's not retiring after 9-16 followed by the Sharpe Fiasco and the St. Peter's debacle, then he's not going to retire after next season either.

I do like these subtle shots at the fan base though, where some of our fans keep insisting that the negativity is "getting to Cal", and that we'll go on to regret it. Cal's smiling at these absurdities with every six figure bi-weekly bay check he's putting into his savings!
I swear, give me that check every other week and I’ll let anyone drag me on social media for life.

Reactions: LowCountryCat
It’s going to be after this upcoming season. Wouldn’t doubt if Wagner holds off committing somewhere till Cal retires. That way he doesn’t show Cal up
I don’t think Cal is going anywhere until his contract ends. Why would he give up all that money when he can collect it and still coast into his ambassador role.

• Sad
Reactions: drew_ukfan
I don't think the Wagners care about "making Cal look better" or taking heat off him and I highly, highly doubt anyone at UK is pressuring him to commit this early. More likely? He's enjoying being a kid and being recruited. I wouldn't commit this early if I were him either - a lot can change between now and Summer 2023. He still has more visits to take and the NIL game is growing and changing every day.

Its going to be Kentucky or Louisville and certainly despite what the latest predictions have indicated - Louisville still has a lot of ground to make up in my opinion. Only 6 of the current top 20 kids are committed for '23 so its not shocking he's not committed regardless of how long he's been a "lock" for UK.
The reason we are mad is look how many of those 6 Duke has. They took our recruiting and made us second class and Cal hasn’t figured out how to recover. With NIL and NBA success there is no reason we shouldn’t have multiple players committed right now. There is always minutes and roster spots every year. Someone will leave guaranteed even if it was full. If this were even 2018 Wagner would have already committed IMO. He should be the biggest UK lock under Cal since KAT.

Reactions: ukfan041
The reason we are mad is look how many of those 6 Duke has. They took our recruiting and made us second class and Cal hasn’t figured out how to recover.

Duke is getting a lot of goodwill from this years' class (22/23) where they have 3 top 5 players and another top 10-15 (Mitchell), compared to their 23/24 class. The 22/23 class for them is similar to our 13/14 class with the Harrisons and Randle or their Zion class, ranking-wise at least.

In the 23/24 class, they have five 5-stars, but one is ranked 2nd, the rest are ranked 14, 17, 19, and 26. That's more comparable to our 18/19 class (Hagans, Montgomery, Herro, Johnson, Quickley)

2 MgBako - 9 Montgomery
14 Foster - 10 Hagans
17 Proctor - 13 Johnson
19 Stewart - 22 Quickley
26 McCain - 37 Herro

There are a lot of top unsigned 23/24 guys that we are recruiting hard. At the same time, we are getting a lot of guys back now like Collins, Toppin, Fredrick, Reeves, etc. while Duke is losing 5-7 rotation players a year and will certainly lose most of their 22/23 team as well.

I don’t think Cal is going anywhere until his contract ends. Why would he give up all that money when he can collect it and still coast into his ambassador role.
Ambassador role means very little if the whole state hates him. If he shits the bed for the next 7 years and milks his contract anyway, he would have to be the supreme dick of all time.

Duke is getting a lot of goodwill from this years' class (22/23) where they have 3 top 5 players and another top 10-15 (Mitchell), compared to their 23/24 class. The 22/23 class for them is similar to our 13/14 class with the Harrisons and Randle or their Zion class, ranking-wise at least.

In the 23/24 class, they have five 5-stars, but one is ranked 2nd, the rest are ranked 14, 17, 19, and 26. That's more comparable to our 18/19 class (Hagans, Montgomery, Herro, Johnson, Quickley)

2 MgBako - 9 Montgomery
14 Foster - 10 Hagans
17 Proctor - 13 Johnson
19 Stewart - 22 Quickley
26 McCain - 37 Herro

There are a lot of top unsigned 23/24 guys that we are recruiting hard. At the same time, we are getting a lot of guys back now like Collins, Toppin, Fredrick, Reeves, etc. while Duke is losing 5-7 rotation players a year and will certainly lose most of their 22/23 team as well.
Is Toppin officially back?

The reason we are mad is look how many of those 6 Duke has. They took our recruiting and made us second class and Cal hasn’t figured out how to recover. With NIL and NBA success there is no reason we shouldn’t have multiple players committed right now. There is always minutes and roster spots every year. Someone will leave guaranteed even if it was full. If this were even 2018 Wagner would have already committed IMO. He should be the biggest UK lock under Cal since KAT.
Duke has 2 of the top 15 and UNC has 2 of the top 10.

There's absolutely no denying that some of the "bloom" has fallen off the UK/Cal rose in recruiting and Cal has shifted his approach to recruiting over the last 2-3 years. He seems to be taking smaller Freshman classes than before, but they still landed 2 top 15-20 players in this current class. I don't think Cal or next years class has a clue what they're roster will look like so that may play into some of the decisions. Plus we have no idea what Wagner really wants or whats playing out behind the scenes. Payne no doubt threw a huge monkey wrench into his plans and I'm sure out of respect for Payne and his grandfather he's not going to just commit to UK and he's going to at least go through the recruiting process with Louisville.

I still think he's a UK lean and UofL has ground to make up. Now there's all sorts of stuff being mentioned on the UofL site in regards to how they're going to try and make up that ground and who knows if it pays off or how much of it is true. I wouldn't worry about Wagner at this point...obviously you'd rather have him committed but I wouldn't think twice about why he isn't committed a full year before he has to decide.

normally i would take that bet but you are not one of the 3 i am targeting
they need to put their money where their mouth is so to speak
Who are you targeting? Your challenge might be believable if you actually called someone out by name. Internet bets, especially on this board, are notoriously toothless and nobody takes them seriously anyway.

Me?

I've been probably the strongest supporter of Keion. I even started multiple threads breaking down his games where he scored a lot of points. I caught a lot of heat for it, too. You're a blithering idiot to think that I'm one who went after him. I entered almost all the bashing threads and stood up for him. I wasn't too happy with his remarks about Rupp, but then who was? I defended him here more than even YOU did, chump.

Go ahead, show me where I bagged on Keion. Make sure you also link the multiple threads where I stood up for him.

Dumbass.

Who are you targeting? Your challenge might be believable if you actually called someone out by name. Internet bets, especially on this board, are notoriously toothless and nobody takes them seriously anyway.
How can he call you out by name when you post under a different name every day LOL Idiot.

Me?

I've been probably the strongest supporter of Keion. I even started multiple threads breaking down his games where he scored a lot of points. I caught a lot of heat for it, too. You're a blithering idiot to think that I'm one who went after him. I entered almost all the bashing threads and stood up for him. I wasn't too happy with his remarks about Rupp, but then who was? I defended him here more than even YOU did, chump.

Go ahead, show me where I bagged on Keion. Make sure you also link the multiple threads where I stood up for him.

Dumbass.
your hate filled rhetoric got old a long time ago
take my challenge
if Cal quits after this year i am done with board
if he returns you are done with this board
shut up or put up as the old saying goes

do not be a coward, take the challenge

your hate filled rhetoric got old a long time ago
take my challenge
if Cal quits after this year i am done with board
if he returns you are done with this board
shut up or put up as the old saying goes

do not be a coward, take the challenge
You just dodged the point and now you're changing the premise of the bet. LOL WHAT. AN. IDIOT. You have no street cred here whatsoever. You think anyone would trust you after what you just did? Hilarious. You couldn't even call me out until I asked you straight up, you chickensh**. And I'm the coward? LOL You linguine spine.

Prove I was one of the Keion bashers or STFU, loser. I don't have to take any bogus challenge from an internet billy badass who doesn't even know what he's talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT