ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner stats against LSU

He needs to play less minutes, and when he does, he should take every ball all the way to the cup. No more of this sidefalling floater crap. It's not working for him. And the first one who shoots another 3 between him and Bradshaw should be doing suicides in the tunnel.

He needs to play less minutes, and when he does, he should take every ball all the way to the cup. No more of this sidefalling floater crap. It's not working for him. And the first one who shoots another 3 between him and Bradshaw should be doing suicides in the tunnel.
Bradshaw & Wagner...time to stop trying to put 💄 on a 🐖 .

LSU players obviously played better than DJ.

In high school, you always had several guys that were assumed to be better players, who were given more opportunity than others who sat the bench. It's sad for the players and crazy for a coach to have to perform in that manner. Bench warmers can have breakout games too.

abell46s-reface.gif

Wagner is limited - can only drive left and shoot layups or very short shots. Outside of 6', he's not much of a threat. If I were guarding him, I'd cheat a full step to his left side and give him at least 3' of room outside of 10'. He would not make me pay for that strategy.

and a lot of selfish, team-killing plays.
I wouldn't call Wagner any more selfish then Dilly is...the difference is we just allow Dilly to be selfish because he can go on heaters.

There are plenty of times when Rob just goes 1-1, and ignores Shep or Reeves, who a lot of times are wide open for a better shot because their man has collapsed to help when Rob is driving.

I am all for Wagner limiting his shots, but I wouldn't necessarily call him selfish.

Reactions: ManitouDan and nptb

Compare it to the reaction Dillingham has been getting for taking it directly at two defenders and making the ridiculous physical play. There’s no risk reward for him attacking the basket. Only reward.

The guy misses too many layups. He doesn't seek out the contact. He avoids it. Attack the actual rim like it kicked your dog. Watch the angle in which he shoots his layups. It's rarely ever a foot close to the rim. Usually shoots them from the edge of the glass. You gotta attack that damn thing. Make them foul you. For a guy who drives as much as he does he has a weak free throw rate.

Look at a guy like Mark Sears. Wagner isn't even in his universe in FTr.

That's not even talking about his 3 point shot.

He is wide open because teams want him to shoot it. He had some bad drives leading to poor shots around the rim.
So by your definition everyone on the squad is selfish. Make it make sense. He drove and misses a contest layup so that makes him selfish. He missed a wideopen 3 with the shot clock winding down so that makes him selfish.

Yeah I've been a Wagner defender to this point. He was great against Auburn but, admittedly, terrible against LSU. Ugo was also terrible against LSU. Cal needs to be more proactive with the in-game adjustments and where it's clear a player is off for a given game, play other guys more minutes. Not sure why that is so hard. You can't just go off of how a guy played in previous games. If it's clear he's off in the current game, make an adjustment.

And he can't control the ball and that is actually a requirement for a PG. I know he has lost the ball at least three times in key times in close games.
So he has done what every guard on our squad has done. He was hardly in the game late against LSU so you can't be talking about this previous game. Texas A&M Dillingham throws a wild azz pass to him as time is winding down preventing the Cats from taking the last shot to end the game. I know you aren't blaming that one on him right?

I wouldn't call Wagner any more selfish then Dilly is...the difference is we just allow Dilly to be selfish because he can go on heaters.

There are plenty of times when Rob just goes 1-1, and ignores Shep or Reeves, who a lot of times are wide open for a better shot because their man has collapsed to help when Rob is driving.

I am all for Wagner limiting his shots, but I wouldn't necessarily call him selfish.
This is the correct view. Reed is the main guard who is constantly looking to hip the wide open shooter but I would say Wagner is right behind him. Reeves and Dilly are looking to shoot that rock.

So he has done what every guard on our squad has done. He was hardly in the game late against LSU so you can't be talking about this previous game. Texas A&M Dillingham throws a wild azz pass to him as time is winding down preventing the Cats from taking the last shot to end the game. I know you aren't blaming that one on him right?
Not blaming but evaluating his performance over the season on whether or not he should be starting or be playing as many minutes as he should.

Question for anyone: do you want the ball in his hands late in the game? Or would you rather have it in Reed or Dillingham? All players have TOs we understand that but at this point in the season, who do you trust more?

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Wagner has a certain style to his game , not necessarily fit to be a PG , he doesnt shoot well, so people collapse on him , good driver , awesome with that left hand . But sooo raw and inexperienced . Another kid who needed brought along twice as slow as time allowed . Needs his minutes lowered , and better fitted to the opponent , but it isnt gonna happen . With Rob and Reeves able to get their own we really dont need him .. there I said it . Play Reed and let him distribute to those 2 great scores .. they try to help on Reeves or Dilly you know Reed would make them pay .. badly .

Reactions: westerncat
I don't think he's 100% since the ankle injury. He isn't getting to the rim like he was. I think he needs to play less until he gets to where he was before the injury.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT