ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia law allows schools to pay athletes for NIL (ESPN)

Should say "Virginia law allows what's been done in the shadows to now be done in the open"
Even if it was done in the shadows, no one was getting the type of money we'll see now with it out in the open. When you don't have to hide a paper trail it makes things much easier to move large amounts of money.

Since this has happened in one state, they have to allow it for everyone or the playing field will be uneven by default.

Yup. If players are going to be openly paid, they should have to sign a 2 year contract at minimum, with a higher buyout just like coaches.
Schools that are competing for players won't do that because it could make it hard to even get them for a year.
The big, east coast schools and schools from wealthier states with money will dominate the next era of college athletics.
I fear that Kentucky just won't have the money to compete if NIL keeps moving this direction. These kids today don't gaf about fans or tradition.

Has Arkansas recently passed any NIL legislation? Or was it just a coincidence that Big Z was with a Arkansas lawmaker? 🤔

The frustrating thing to me is how much longer is this "Wild West" environment going to continue until the NCAA's leadership or school presidents/ADs get together and create another system? This isn't sustainable long-term for schools financially and it also won't be sustainable for schools to keep lots of non-revenue producing sports running either, which in the long run is going to suck away opportunities from more Division 1 athletes than are actually rewarded.

And whereas NIL deals outside of schools aren't regulated by Title IX, money given out directly by schools definitely is. Can't wait to see the circular firing squad that this is going to generate among various groups.

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
I've been more than ready, for a very long time, for all of sports where there is money for athletes involved, to have a big reset. Create yet another semi-professional league if you have to, and just send any athlete who wants to get paid for playing their sport, to that league. Get them out of college/university since they don't really want to be there anyway.

The frustrating thing to me is how much longer is this "Wild West" environment going to continue until the NCAA's leadership or school presidents/ADs get together and create another system? This isn't sustainable long-term for schools financially and it also won't be sustainable for schools to keep lots of non-revenue producing sports running either, which in the long run is going to suck away opportunities from more Division 1 athletes than are actually rewarded.

And whereas NIL deals outside of schools aren't regulated by Title IX, money given out directly by schools definitely is. Can't wait to see the circular firing squad that this is going to generate among various groups.
The NCAA is currently in death rattle phase.

This ends when either the federal government steps in with national rules, or the athletic programs become independent of the NCAA completely to become semi-pro. Neither of those choices are great.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Even with my preference for limited government, this issue will require federal legislation. There needs to be at least minimum standards set. This is an issue effecting numerous parties across all 50 states and were getting wildly inconsistent outcomes.

I've been more than ready, for a very long time, for all of sports where there is money for athletes involved, to have a big reset. Create yet another semi-professional league if you have to, and just send any athlete who wants to get paid for playing their sport, to that league. Get them out of college/university since they don't really want to be there anyway.
The answer is to let them jump straight from high school to the pros. Let the NBA deal with the mess they have created. If players don't make it then they better hope they learn to speak Greek or whatever real quick.

Yup. If players are going to be openly paid, they should have to sign a 2 year contract at minimum, with a higher buyout just like coaches.

Yea I like this... make it like the NBA without the draft portion.

Only small issue is they still will be going to the highest bidder for NIL $$$. But at least this contract with the school will forbid them from leaving without paying a portion back.

No sympathy for anyone. The NCAA's draconian rules for decade while making billions has caused this. Now the genies out of the bottle and it's not going back. They should have collectively bargained decades ago. Now it's over.

The answer is to let them jump straight from high school to the pros. Let the NBA deal with the mess they have created. If players don't make it then they better hope they learn to speak Greek or whatever real quick.
Yeap, that too. But the NBA apparently fought back at that by saying that players needed to be a year removed from high school or a minimum age, right? Maybe an option is for athletes to sign a contract for 2 years at their respective school, with NIL, that the athlete can only break if the coach is no longer there or in very extreme circumstances.

It is what it is. But the bright side is this opens the door for some regulation.

Salary caps need to happen next. No collectives…boosters donate to the school directly again and any money exchanging hands from boosters to players is a violation.

Schools can only spend 5m or 10m etc. up to you to decide how you divvy it up. 1 superstar for 5m or 5 1m players etc. this keeps the playing field “even” for schools of the same level and gives a little focus back to a coaches ability to sell and not just buy. It also creates less of a bidding war every every offseason bc teams are capped

Eventually, it will all come full circle.

After this, what would be the point of the ncaa at all? Why would they even be needed? Other than running the tournaments, I don’t see the point.

We’re literally going back to glorified AAU ball playing pickup games with the best bought talent.

If that’s what they want to do then go for it, but hopefully they separate that shit and have a league where kids can go back to amateur status and play for the schools as long as they agree to it.

This simply isn’t college basketball anymore. The whole “pLaY tHe PlAyErS” types like bilas pretty much killed the sport.
Did anybody even give a shit about that UConn Purdue game?

Reactions: Fox2monk

After this, what would be the point of the ncaa at all? Why would they even be needed? Other than running the tournaments, I don’t see the point.

We’re literally going back to glorified AAU ball playing pickup games with the best bought talent.

If that’s what they want to do then go for it, but hopefully they separate that shit and have a league where kids can go back to amateur status and play for the schools as long as they agree to it.

This simply isn’t college basketball anymore. The whole “pLaY tHe PlAyErS” types like bilas pretty much killed the sport.
Well yes and no. They did but our news overshadowed it. Plus if it isn’t one of the big schools like is, KU, Duke, UNC, etc the viewership drops off heavily.

And blame the NCAA. All they had to do was give players a small cut and this would’ve been avoided a decade ago. As usual they fubar it.

Reactions: Fox2monk

It's not what anyone wants to do, but when an entity is making billions off the back of other people's labor and not sharing anything and explicitly states oh and you can't make money either, then it's just plain wrong. It sucks but it is an is-what-it-is scenario.

It's not what anyone wants to do, but when an entity is making billions off the back of other people's labor and not sharing anything and explicitly states oh and you can't make money either, then it's just plain wrong. It sucks but it is an is-what-it-is scenario.

I don’t disagree that the ncaa is dog turds.
They’re greedy as hell. But why not just disband and leave the ncaa and start something new then take the route they did.
And I still stand firmly behind the fact that a scholarship was more than enough of a payment for playing. And walk ons are volunteers.

There will never be a buy out. Players will always have the leverage as they choose where they are going. Schools that make them sign a buy out won't get the players. It's pretty simple. I do think this is the way we are going though with the contracts.

Good. Make them employees, sign them to contracts, and kill the transfer portal
Yep. This is what eventually needs to be done to restore order. The NCAA needs to cut the bullshit and officially admit that these are really professional athletes.

End the requirement that they be students enrolled in classes, and re-classify them as employees who play for the University sponsored pro team.

After we officially get honest about what this really is, then maybe we can bring in some common sense regulations to establish order and rein in the current anarchy.

Salary caps need to happen next. No collectives…boosters donate to the school directly again and any money exchanging hands from boosters to players is a violation.

I agree, but a lot has to happen. The athletes will have to unionize. But they have no real incentive to do so. So the schools would basically have to lock the athletes out, and a large cog in the economy completely stops moving. Billions lost. Easier for the schools to just let the weirdness ride.

I hate the fact that we no longer have college athletics. College basketball is nothing more than the NBA D-League. All players should get a flat percentage of any gear sold with their name or likeness on it. That's where it should stop.

Reactions: UK90
I agree, but a lot has to happen. The athletes will have to unionize. But they have no real incentive to do so. So the schools would basically have to lock the athletes out, and a large cog in the economy completely stops moving. Billions lost. Easier for the schools to just let the weirdness ride.
Yeah. It’s a few years away at least. Salary caps and it going through the universities also allows 2 year contracts etc that have buyouts attached if they want to “free transfer” before the end of their Soph year that the gaining university would have to pay or the player paying back 10% of what they made year 1 etc. It would give a little deterrent for schools to openly tamper and for players to stay put for more than 1 year and evaluate a transfer after their Soph season and grad transfer season. Or take less money for 1 year contracts if they are unsure if they want to be at a program and sign a 2 year contract etc

This doesn’t change anything just allows the schools to have the legal framework to structure, control and manage the NIL funds which I think is normal since the beneficiaries- theplayers - are enrolled students. It also offers legal precedent for other states and perhaps the US Congress to adopt similar legislation.

I would be curious if the VA legislation would hold water for multi -year NIL deals that will make more difficult for players to transfer. Currently the scholarships are renewed yearly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT