ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy - Byington - Portal - NIL

Friedas_Boss

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
I think we’ve found a good coach. Mark Byington was pretty good at James Madison and has hit the ground running rebuilding the team.

So far he has brought in 5 new players, all solid but today landed Jason Edwards from North Texas:

First signs of life Vandy has had in hoops in a long time. Stack’s lazy ass didn’t even recruit or attempt to use NIL. Byington has a war chest and he’s using it.

How is Pope doing so far? I think he’s going to kill it at UK, said so when y’all hired him.

Hope all is well, good people!

I think we’ve found a good coach. Mark Byington was pretty good at James Madison and has hit the ground running rebuilding the team.

So far he has brought in 5 new players, all solid but today landed Jason Edwards from North Texas:

First signs of life Vandy has had in hoops in a long time. Stack’s lazy ass didn’t even recruit or attempt to use NIL. Byington has a war chest and he’s using it.

How is Pope doing so far? I think he’s going to kill it at UK, said so when y’all hired him.

SEC basketball is looking at a bright future, top to bottom.

This dude is a MAJOR upgrade for you guys. He is an ACTUAL coach.

Hope he does well against all teams but one. 😁 😁 😁

gots-the-lion-doesnt-concern-himself-with-the-d00z5ueta0.jpg
😉

Yeah I think u guys have at last found a good coach.
Is Lawrence gonna come back or stay in the portal or does Byington have any interest in bringing him back.
Good luck with your new coach.....except when yall play UK.

Tyrin will be gone. He has to be a grad transfer which means he would have to get into a graduate program at VU and I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Loved the kid but probably parting ways.

I like the VT duo also. Huffman and Edwards will be a solid backcourt.

Vandys weakest spot is the guy Carey that he brought from JMU.

Ven Allen Lubin is coming back so we think Carey will be his back up. We like VAL a lot, avg 12.3 ppg and 6.3 rpg as a sophomore.

That said, Carey was really good as a true freshman at JMU, his per 40 minute numbers are very impressive. I haven’t seen him play but people are excited about him and Byington obviously thought enough of him to bring him along.

We need another shooter and another big for sure.

I think we have 9 spots taken and 4 open scholly’s left.

So far so good. Landed Boston College starter Devin McGlockton today (10 ppg 6 rpg).

We can't get too far ahead of ourselves because cleaning up a 9-and-whatever program is hard even with the portal but it's easy to get excited about the early returns. With a new coach I think it's important to build enough critical mass that other guys this year or next think, "Wow, something's really changed at Vandy," and so far he seems active in a good way.

Certainly a far cry from Stackhouse in terms of effort. Like I needed another reason to dislike Chapel Hill.

Vandy needs to be good for the good of the SEC. The historical gym needs to be filled with the loud crowds of the past. As a resident of Middle Tn I have witnessed lots of great UK games there. It has been sad to watch the demise of the program. Vandy fans deserve better. Baseball is great football is well Vandy so basketball needs to be a bell cow. Vandy needs to return to early Stallings type teams. They need to schedule some great non conference teams like UNB, Duke and IU like days past.

Vandy needs to be good for the good of the SEC. The historical gym needs to be filled with the loud crowds of the past. As a resident of Middle Tn I have witnessed lots of great UK games there. It has been sad to watch the demise of the program. Vandy fans deserve better. Baseball is great football is well Vandy so basketball needs to be a bell cow. Vandy needs to return to early Stallings type teams. They need to schedule some great non conference teams like UNB, Duke and IU like days past.
I believe they had a great player by the name of Clyde Lee in the 60's.

Ven Allen Lubin is coming back so we think Carey will be his back up. We like VAL a lot, avg 12.3 ppg and 6.3 rpg as a sophomore.

That said, Carey was really good as a true freshman at JMU, his per 40 minute numbers are very impressive. I haven’t seen him play but people are excited about him and Byington obviously thought enough of him to bring him along.

We need another shooter and another big for sure.

I think we have 9 spots taken and 4 open scholly’s left.
Carey is going to be a baller. Like you said he crushed per minute. He needs to learn not to foul other than that I love that kids future.

The Stackhouse hire was always a head scratcher for me. The guy has always been a jerk going back to his UNC days. Just didn’t fit the image I have of Vandy at all.
It only makes sense given that followed a couple of months after hiring fellow Tar Heel Malcolm Turner as AD. Turner had no college admin experience afaik but had been president of the NBA G League. Maybe this was their way of thinking outside the box. Bryce Drew's record made it easy for Turner to bring in his college buddy as HC.

Regardless, Turner lasted about a year but we've been paying for that misstep until the end of this season. Hard enough to make progress in the SEC without sabotaging your own program.

I know Mark and Cremins. I think Byington will have an incredible tenure at Vandy. I went to 7 JMU games last season and now y’all are my #2.

JM was very good last year, I think he has a chance to be good. It’s hard to say since Vandy has a really hard time competing because of academic standards but if they lean into NIL anything is possible. He seems like a good coach. Compared to Stackhouse he’s Coach K.

He is a good coach and has family ties with Izzo at MSU. JMU played tough defense and fast pace offense., shooting 3s and hitting the glass hard. With more resources he can build Vandy in a tournament team in 2 -3 years. I didn’t like how he prepared the last game against Duke when he got to scared of Filiposki and left McCain open in the first half, he probably he was already thinking of the Vandy proposal.

He is a good get for Vandy. WVa was also on the mix before the Sunbelt tournament, which JMU won and more offers started to flow including Vandy.

JMU has invested a lot in the football and basketball programs, arguably had the best football and basketball programs in Virginia. It’s interesting they lost both the football and basketball coaches. The old AD Jeff Bourne also retired and he is being replaced by Matt Roan, the AD from EKU.

JMU also hired Preston Spradlin from Morehead State to replace Byington. Prior to Morehead State, he was five seasons on the staff at Kentucky.: two years as a graduate assistant coach (2009-11) and three years as director of operations (2011-14).

Last edited:

You guys made a really good hire, and I hope you guys are improved next year

Good to hear from you, brother.

Obviously, I agree and hope Byington is the guy that can restore the home court advantage we had for so long here.

So far he has Vandy fans very excited. Lots of older fans are saying they are going to buy season tickets for the first time in a while.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Carey is going to be a baller. Like you said he crushed per minute. He needs to learn not to foul other than that I love that kids future.

I figured both would start. Lubin played next to Kamateros last year. With McGlockton, you can probably play just one now.

I haven’t seen Carey but from what I’ve read, he has a high ceiling. My guess is that McGlockton and Ven Allen Lubin start but I think Carey plays 20 plus mpg and will pit with McGlockton or VAL.

Byington is doing well so far, at least that’s the feel.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I haven’t seen Carey but from what I’ve read, he has a high ceiling. My guess is that McGlockton and Ven Allen Lubin start but I think Carey plays 20 plus mpg and will pit with McGlockton or VAL.

Byington is doing well so far, at least that’s the feel.
Sounds like Byington is gonna head out Seton Hall for Cornell transfer Chris Manon as well. Add another big and I’m gonna have a hard time not being really really excited about the season.

Kentucky hired a good coach and is always gonna have talent. Think Pope will do a good job.

Tyrin will be gone. He has to be a grad transfer which means he would have to get into a graduate program at VU and I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Loved the kid but probably parting ways.
Speaking of:
“So I asked him—are you doin any stunt flying up thar?!?”

““What did he say?”

“He don’t say nuthin—he just gives me that look…ya know….that look!!”

• Love
Reactions: Friedas_Boss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT