ADVERTISEMENT

Football Vandagriff excited about first college start, debut with Cats

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY

Vandagriff excited about first college start, debut with Cats​

wkeo0trvfgxtfpxoryln

Heralded prospect Brock Vandagriff is slated to make his long-awaited first college start at quarterback for Kentucky on Saturday in the season opener against Southern Miss. (Brett Corman/Cats Illustrated)

Jeff Drummond • CatsIllustrated
Managing Editor Edit
@JDrumUK

According to Brock Vandagriff, it's probably a good thing that Kentucky is playing a night game in its season opener Saturday against Southern Miss.

The Wildcats' new quarterback isn't sure how he'd deal with an early kickoff, given his excitement level building toward a long-awaited first starting assignment at the college level.

"I don't really tell the coaches, but I will not sleep the night before at all," said Vandagriff, who transferred to UK in the winter after spending his first three seasons with the Georgia Bulldogs. "Just so jacked up. Same thing before I go hunt. I love it, and I'm ready for it."

The Bogart, Ga., native concedes that there could be some nervous energy and strong emotions flowing prior to kickoff.

"I always get pretty emotional just walking out in the stadium, whether I'm the third-string guy or the fourth-string guy -- second or first -- don't even matter. I think it's just kind of a testament to I love ball," Vandagriff said. "Walking out there, probably get a little teary-eyed and stuff, but that's what it's all about. Obviously going to be some nerves, but that just means you care at the end of the day."

(CONT) ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.