ADVERTISEMENT

Van Gundy and Jalen Rose among those canned by espn

I'll be honest Stephen A would've been the first ones out the door.

As counterintuitive as it sounds, he's probably their most valuable personality. Skip Bayless was right behind him before fox paid him a legit fortune.

Today's sports media value has zero to do with quality content and everything to do with analytics mainly driven by social media impressions.

Example: person A says something intelligent and accurate but gets minimal interaction. Person B says something outrageous and obviously wrong, fan bases flock to tell him where he's wrong along with sharing the stupid thing they said. Tons of impressions.

Person B is way more valuable in the current measure. The really good trolls know just how far they can push it without being too obvious, because an obvious troll doesn't get traction. That's where massive money is in today's sports media or basically any social media.

Just another example of why ESPN/Disney is going broke. In their disagreement with Spectrum, they are losing $4M a day but have nearly $2M a yr to pay Kimes who is on a show that nobody watches? Just show games, replay games, and show highlights. Simple formula that built the network....but then they thought on air "talent" mattered.

You can’t make this stuff up

1. Fire a black guy in Jalen rose who.cried racism at every opportunity
2. Massive raise to an Asian woman who talks NFL ( nobody cares to hear her views)
3. But if Kines is such a NFL savant…rhen why pay McAfee and Shannon Sharpe for their NFL coverage?
4. Espn is in midst of contract impasse wjtb Spectrum over rates but can afford this crap

That is why most sports fans hate ESPN…and I can’t believe sec sold their soles to this woke crap company

2. Massive raise to an Asian woman who talks NFL ( nobody cares to hear her views)
3. But if Kines is such a NFL savant…rhen why pay McAfee and Shannon Sharpe for their NFL coverage?
4. Espn is in midst of contract impasse wjtb Spectrum over rates but can afford this crap

That is why most sports fans hate ESPN…and I can’t believe sec sold their soles to this woke crap company
I just watch the games. I wouldn’t waste a single second of my life on any of their other programming.

I agree so hard, spectrum won’t even take calls about this right now. I’m seriously about to cancel and say screw em both. 230 bucks a month for internet and service and I have a basic package missing 12 Channels that contain about 5-6 I actually watch from time to time. I wish the SEC would get a deal with YouTube or something and charge $4.99 a month to watch. I’d rather pay that during the season than watch ESPN anymore.

Reactions: K_TIME
I agree so hard, spectrum won’t even take calls about this right now. I’m seriously about to cancel and say screw em both. 230 bucks a month for internet and service and I have a basic package missing 12 Channels that contain about 5-6 I actually watch from time to time. I wish the SEC would get a deal with YouTube or something and charge $4.99 a month to watch. I’d rather pay that during the season than watch ESPN anymore.
YouTube TV does carry the SEC as part of its streaming package and only about $70 month for their whole package of channels. I dumped Spectrum sometime ago. Saving a lot of money plus very happy with programming and how well YouTube TV works.

Every business goes thru this. Disney has experienced some tough financial times. Deciding who really generates revenue and who costs more then they create is a difficult process with pitfalls they are bound to step in.

Personally, while keeping some folks and dumping others, the one thing I wouldn't have done is give anyone a big raise during this process. Its just not the right time. Give out new responsibilities and raises for performance can come later........ After the sting of friends and co-workers getting the axe have subsided. No one feels great going into the office a day after the purge. Plus, some of those fired may get rehired in the future. Careful that bridges don't get burned. The ex employees are all taking the high road for that reason, so should ESPN.

YouTube TV does carry the SEC as part of its streaming package and only about $70 month for their whole package of channels. I dumped Spectrum sometime ago. Saving a lot of money plus very happy with programming and how well YouTube TV works.
I think I’m gonna end up doing that.

Reactions: ORCAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT